Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ZD1211 chipset on Dapper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

ZD1211 chipset on Dapper

Unfortunately, once again the integrated support for the ZD1211 chipset doesn't work for many people. This however does not mean you can't get it to work. This guide explains how to get the newest version of the driver installed and working.

Fistly, remove the rubbish driver included with Ubuntu.

Code:
    sudo modprobe -r zd1211
    Then install build-essential (have the Dapper CD in the drive).

Code:
    apt-get install build-essential
    Open Synaptic and do a search for linux-headers, check all that appear and install them from the CD.

Download http://zd1211.ath.cx/download/zd1211-driver-r77.tgz and put it in your home directory.

Uncompress it.

Code:
    tar zxvf zd1211-driver-r77.tgz
    Go into the zd1211 driver directory.

Code:
    cd ~/zd1211-driver-r77
    If your adapter uses the ZD1211B chipset then you need to change the Makefile config.

Code:
    sudo gedit Makefile
    Look for ZD1211REV_B=0 and change it to ZD1211REV_B=1.

Now its just a case of compiling it all.

Code:
    make clean
    make
    make install
    Load the driver.

Code:
    modprobe -v zd1211(zd1211b if you use the B chipset)
    Remember to add zd1211(b) into your /etc/modules file.

Connect the interface.

Code:
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    And connect to a network.

Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid <network name>
    Restart the PC.

And that should be it. You can now configure the network further from the Network administation. I'm not sure if WPA/WEP works. Sorry if I missed anything out or got something wrong as I am doing this from memory.

Enjoy your move to Ubuntu.
    Last edited by Jammy_Stuff; June 4th, 2006 at 06:57 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: ZD1211 chipset on Dapper

Thank you so much for this tut. Please rename the word modeprobe to modprobe .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Thanks for letting me know about that mistake. Edited.

Beans

very nice, works well. thanks

wonder why the included driver is crap?

Beans

wpa works for me.

make sure, you can connect to an unprotected network as described by the thread opener.

remove the wpa_supplicant package if installed:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove wpasupplicant
    download the source for version 0.4.9 of wpa_supplicant from http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/.

you'll also need the openssl sources from http://www.openssl.org/source/ (used the slightly old version 0.9.8a because i had it already, but i hope it works with the latest version too)

extract the sources:
    Code:
    tar -xzvf wpa_supplicant-0.4.9.tar.gz
    tar -xzvf openssl-0.9.8b.tar.gz
    sudo cp -R wpa_supplicant-0.4.9 /usr/src/wpasupplicant
    sudo cp -R openssl-0.9.8b /usr/src/openssl

symlink the directory /usr/src/openssl/include to /usr/src/wpasupplicant/openssl
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/src/openssl/include /usr/src/wpasupplicant/openssl
    copy the file defconfig to .config
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/src/wpasupplicant/defconfig /usr/src/wpasupplicant/.config
    install wpa_supplicant
    Code:
    cd /usr/src/wpasupplicant
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    create or edit the configuration file for wpa_supplicant /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. mine looks like this:
    Code:
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    ctrl_interface_group=0

eapol_version=1
    ap_scan=1
    fast_reauth=0

network={
            ssid="daham"
            psk="XXX"
            proto=WPA
            key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
            scan_ssid=1
            pairwise=TKIP
    }
    start wpa_supplicant
    Code:
    sudo wpa_supplicant -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -i wlan0 -D wext
    this are the steps that made wpa_supplicant working for me. hope this may help someone else.

Beans

Thanks for this!

I was running 6.06 in "Live" mode the other night and mainly out of curiosity stuck in a 1211 USB dongle I had and to my surprise found that it appeared to immediately be working to some extent, finding, though not connecting to, my WPA network.

I experiment with numerous inexpensive wireless devices and have found that these Zydas 1211 and 1211b units usually get the job done reasonably well and can be the basis for some interesting experiments. Watching the results on the graphs in Network Stumbler, I found that I could get at least a ten decibel measurable boost using household whatnot as signal reflectors with these dongles.

Not long back, I got one of the CompUSA WirelessG Adapters, which has the 1211 chip, for US$2.99 after rebate and an Airlink101 AWLL3026 unit, which is smaller, has a brilliant blue LED and uses the 1211b chip, for US$5.99 on sale.

In another local sale, I got an "active" USB extension cable for US$1.99, which is actually a single-outlet USB hub, which will extend useful USB connections to at least thirty feet from the computer without degradation, nor the loss from coax cable in a passive antenna. The upshot of this is that one can have a roof-mounted, very high gain, active reflector WiFi system for almost nothing.

Getting these little devices integrated into Ubuntu with full native functionality (WPA/AES) would be a great boon!

Last edited by polo_step; June 5th, 2006 at 03:21 PM.
    Doing things the hard way does not mean you're smart.
    Doing things the hard way means you're stupid.

I have a Sitecom USB Wireless Adapter model wl-113 and I use Kubuntu

I followed the instruction and now if I run iwconfig there is a new "element" called sit0 (I remember that when another boy used the usb wireless adapter there where also "sit0")

The screenshot:
    http://www.primadanoi.it/images/CANCELLAMI/7.png

Now, I have to run "iwconfig sit0 essid <name>", it's correct?

I tryed:
    (FRC is my network wireless name [set in the router])
    iwconfig sit0 essid "FRC"
    iwconfig sit0 essid 'FRC'
    iwconfig sit0 essid FRC
    iwconfig sit0 essid any

but it doesn't work...

If I run
    Code:
    dmesg | grep sit0
    it says:
    sit0: Disabled Privacy Extensions

When I reboot the sistem (because I post reply with windows....), when I reboot Kubuntu, if I run iwconfig there isn't sit0 and I reinstalled the driver....

However, I think that sit0 is my usb adapter, infact when I installed Kubuntu on my friend's laptop whit my usb adapter plugged in, when I runned iwconfig there were sit0.
    Then, I reinstalled Kubuntu on my friend's laptop without usb adapter, and if I run "iwconfig" there isn't sit0

PS:I'm a newbie

Beans

i doubt that sit0 is your wlan adapter. AFAIK are the sit* interfaces pseudo-interfaces for tunneling IPv6 throu IPv4.

are you sure the module is loaded correctly and your adapter is recognized?
    open a second console and run:
    Code:
     tail -f /var/log/messages
    then load the module and plug-in your usb adapter

this is my output in /var/log/messages when loading the module and attaching my usb adapter (a trendnet TEW-429UB)
    you should get something similar:
    Code:
    Jun  6 04:31:50 localhost kernel: [4382081.815000] zd1211 - http://zd1211.ath.cx/ - r77
    Jun  6 04:31:50 localhost kernel: [4382081.815000] Based on www.zydas.com.tw driver version 2.5.0.0
    Jun  6 04:31:50 localhost kernel: [4382081.816000] usbcore: registered new driver zd1211
    Jun  6 04:32:18 localhost kernel: [4382109.551000] usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6
    Jun  6 04:32:18 localhost kernel: [4382109.784000] usb 1-2: reset full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6
    Jun  6 04:32:18 localhost kernel: [4382109.909000] Release Ver = 4802
    Jun  6 04:32:18 localhost kernel: [4382109.909000] EEPORM Ver = 4330
    Jun  6 04:32:18 localhost kernel: [4382109.931000] AiroHa AL2230RF
    Jun  6 04:32:19 localhost kernel: [4382110.140000] AllowedChannel = 000107ff
    Jun  6 04:32:19 localhost kernel: [4382110.140000] Region:48

Beans

again?!

at least the include driver actually loads without error, i thought they got zd1211 working with dapper...

glad that i got the zyxel p-330w from compusa and use it as a bridge and now my ubuntu box is connected via nic card...

shof2k should update his howto again to include the dapper instructions...

for some reason my gigafast adapter doesn't like the opensource driver, i had to get the driver source from zydas... i used the wpa_supplicant source from zydas too which added zd1211 support right in... even after all that, it will lose the wireless connection after 30min of inactivity... i guess the driver is not working completely right... had to run background ping command to keep it up...

didn't know the wpa_supplicant supports the zd1211 via the -d wext switch...

anyway,

thanks for the updated info guys,

sg

Beans
    Hidden!

Great guide Jammy Stuff - thanks - worth an inclusion in the Wiki.

Before I take the plunge and install Dapper on my Mandriva box, can you confirm that the build-essential and header stuff is on the CD?

I've downloaded the driver source already, but didn't want to get stuck with no internet connection and no way to compile a driver for one!

Cheers,

Mike

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast