Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Using utorrent with wine

Beans

HOW TO: Using utorrent with wine

This shows you how to install and use utorrent with wine in Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 and
    Ubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10 Note: At the bottom of the page. (only a section for fresh install for now with Edgy Eft).

If you want to know what native linux torrent programs is avalible just look at the bottom

The How to: (Ubuntu Dapper 6.06)

First you need to add wine rep into sources.list

Step 1:

sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.backup1

Step 2:

Use one of the following editors.

Gnome editor:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

KDE editor:

sudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
    or
    sudo kwrite /etc/apt/sources.list

XFCE editor:

sudo mousepad /etc/apt/sources.list

Other graphical editors:

sudo leafpad /etc/apt/sources.list

Note: To get this light editor that looks and feels like notepad do the following

sudo apt-get install leafpad

Command prompt editor:

sudo nano -w /etc/apt/sources.list

Step 3:

add this at the bottom

deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt dapper main

Step 4:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install wine
    sudo apt-get clean

Step 5:

winecfg

Step 6:

goto "drivers" then press autodetect.

Note: Step 7 and 8 isn't needed to start wine, but good to do anyway.

Step 7:

Then goto "audio" and remove "OSS driver" and press "ALSA driver" insteed and choose ider default sample 44100,48000 and default bits 16.

Step 8:

Go go "Application" menu then change the "Windows version" from "Windows 2000 to Windows XP", you need to have XP setting on to be able to use "UPNP". But you can have it on anyway even without using that setting, but this how to does not cover "UPNP".

After this wine is installed and configured!

Step 9:

Now you need to download utorrent to your Linux system, or use it with your dual boot windows.

First up dual boot:

make a shortcut at the desktop with favourite window manager.
    wine /media/hda1/Program Files/insert your directory/utorrent.exe

Step 10:

Next up is:
    If want to just download and use it with Linux without dual boot then the only difference is the folder of choice.

Start your browser and go to http://www.utorrent.com/download.php then press "Get µTorrent 1.6 Standalone (170 KB)" then save it to your directory, for example in my case /home/yournickname/program/.

Make a shortcut at the desktop with your favourite window manager.
    wine /home/yournickname/yourfolderofchoice/utorrent.exe

OK if you followed ider of these two and made it then great!

Step 11:

Then if you click on the shortcut you just made on the desktop then it will start utorrent. After that press not to make torrent files into default, after that the speedguide will start up and guide you, just choose your settings.

Becorse there are so many settings i made some screenshots of my settings, the difference is that you need to choose your settings in the "folders" section.

Note: You can download the file at the bottom of this post.

Step 12:

Ok first up:

Press "Put new downloads in"
    Then choose your folder, you cannot choose a NTFS partition becorse it cannot write to it, well anyways this is an example of mine.
    h:\torrents

Next up:

Press "Move complete downlods to"
    Example:
    h:\downloads

And the last:
    Press "Store .torrent files in"
    Example:
    h:\torrents

OK, when you made the settings "speedguide"+"my screenshot settings"+"folders settings" you are done!
    Remeber you got to start the program then add the torrents.

Step 13:

If you are wondering why you should use utorrent and not the native linux torrent programs, read this:

It uses very little cpu and memory, and works very well with wine in Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 LTS and 6.06.1 LTS, and Ubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10, also it supports DHT, peer exchange, UPNP and RSS.

Note: I couldn't get UPNP to work with wine.

It supports also Protocol Encryption (compatible with Azureus 2.4.0.0 and BitComet 0.63) but i think the other person you are downloading from or are seeding to need to have it enabled also if you got it.

Step 14:

IMPORTANT INFO:

If you use firestarter (or any other software/hardware firewall) you need to make port 32459 (or any other port you set) open for incoming connections or you will get super slow download.

Note: utorrent only uses one port for all downloads.

Step 15:

sudo firestarter

Step 16:

goto Policy

Step 17:

Right click on allow service then copy/paste 32459 (or any other port you set) into port, then see to that "anyone" is on then press ok.

Step 18:

Press "Apply policy"

Step 19:

If you want more information about using utorrent with wine, and possible fixes look at this link:
    http://www.securenet.net/members/jea...nux_guide.html

Possible problems with utorrent section:

KDE Problems info:

If you got any problems with utorrent freezing when you use more than one desktop or when you minimize utorrent, then you can try the possible fix pointed out by "Ivhassel", the fix is to minimize µTorrent to kicker, and then to maximize it again.

100% CPU use problem when using older wine: The fix is to update wine to a more current version. (current version is: 0.9.22).
    Note: This version is from the resp on this post.

This section shows you how to use the normal user with wine and not "root" (gksu).

I made some mistakes when making the how to but this should fix the problem, you only need to follow this section if you followed the howto before i updated it, that means you don't need to do this now if you followed the howto for the first time.

Step 1:

cd /home/yournickname/

Step 2:

sudo rm -r .wine

Step 3:

winecfg

setup the settings again.

Step 4:

wine /home/yournickname/yourfolderofchoice/utorrent.exe

fix the settings again

DONE!

List of linux bittorent clients
    (note: the info about version only apply's to Dapper and not to Edgy Eft)

ktorrent: Plus: opensource, nice plugins and interface, resource friendly. minus: unstable downloads, DHT not supported to Azureus, utorrent or bitcomet.

rtorrent: Plus: opensource, fast, resource friendly, command line, minus: (avalible in resp, but not the latest version).
    http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/

bittornado: Plus: opensource, peer exchange, easy to use, minus: not resouce friendly. (avalible in resp, but not the latest version).

azureus: Plus: opensource, DHT, peer exchange, fast, minus: too many options, not resouce friendly, confusing.

Windows bittorent clients

utorrent using wine version 0.9.22: Plus: fast, resource friendly, DHT ((only with bitcomet, Mainline, other utorrent clients)), peer exchange ((only with other utorrent clients)) minus: closed source.

Note: If you want more then please look at this page
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...rrent_software

Section for installing utorrent with wine with Ubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10

NOTE: This section is for fresh install only for now not upgrade

Adding resp into Synaptic:

1. Start Synaptic

2. Goto the menu "Settings" then choose the second choice.

3. In the section "Ubuntu Edgy" see to that the first four choices are selected.

4. Then goto "Internet Updates" and see to that the first four there also is selected, then close the window.

5. Press "reload".

Installing wine with Synaptic:

6. Search for "wine" then do a right click on it and choose "mark for installation", then choose apply from the toolbar.

7. Follow the "Step 5-18" at the Dapper Section.

8. DONE!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by hikitsu4; December 1st, 2006 at 09:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: HOW TO: Using utorrent with wine

Very nice how-to.

I could follow it just right.

Thanks for sharing it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Smile Re: Using utorrent with wine

very handy thanks, I had wondered why I couldn't get utorrent working (wouldn't connect to any trackers), but updating wine to the one in the repository you list fixed the issue.

Gushy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Using utorrent with wine

Great howto! Thanks a lot

btw the 100% cpu use with older wine was true. fixed when updated to last version

Beans

I've got a question: If you use uTorrent on Linux, will it be as fast as it is on windows? I mean, which is better ,to use Azureus or uTorrent under wine?

Beans

I got a weird problem, uTorrent seems to flicker every second?? I changed the "Update interval" to 10 seconds and then it flickered every 10 seconds? is there a way to remove the effect?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by kreso
    I got a weird problem, uTorrent seems to flicker every second?? I changed the "Update interval" to 10 seconds and then it flickered every 10 seconds? is there a way to remove the effect?
    Currently no, though this might be fixable in wine. Source

Yes it's annoying, but it's bearable if you have 3D support on your graphics card enabled, along with a 2 secs update interval. imho

Quote Originally Posted by kreso
    I've got a question: If you use uTorrent on Linux, will it be as fast as it is on windows? I mean, which is better ,to use Azureus or uTorrent under wine?
    Personally I'd prefer µTorrent over Azureus. Both feature filled, but µTorrent seems less of a burden on my system. µTorrent seems to stay under 10% CPU usage, which is fine with me.

µTorrents beta's are also very stable & reliable imho, so that's what I'm running under wine atm.

If anyone tries µTorrent under the latest wine 0.9.15, then please post your experiences. I don't feel like breaking anything atm. Still too much breakage to solve from last time

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Ivhassel
    If anyone tries µTorrent under the latest wine 0.9.15, then please post your experiences. I don't feel like breaking anything atm. Still too much breakage to solve from last time
    It does work flawlessly ...

Beans

I have a problem when using it with kdea-desktop. When I change to another desktop and then change back to the utorrentdesktop, the screen is frozen (even though it's still working)

Also, how to include chinese character (fonts) in wine then?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by athlonkmf
    I have a problem when using it with kdea-desktop. When I change to another desktop and then change back to the utorrentdesktop, the screen is frozen (even though it's still working)
    I experience the same under KDE. When I minimize µTorrent, or use more than one desktop, then the µtorrent freezes. What I do to solve this, is minimize µTorrent to kicker, and then to maximize it again.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast