Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Get Network Manager to stop asking you for your keyring password (pam_keyring)

Beans

Howto: Get Network Manager to stop asking you for your keyring password (pam_keyring)

Howto: Get Network Manager to stop asking you for your keyring password

I am by no means an expert on PAM (Pluggable Authentication Module) or pam_keyring so I wanted to start by acknowleging where I got my info:

Mike Petullo - first wrote the pam_keyring module
    Jonathan Nettleton - current maintainer of pam_keyring and added code to allow this module to work with the older PAM included with Ubuntu
    s31523 and Buell (from these forums) - for posting the topic and comment that helped me get this working.

After I got my wireless working in 6.06 using Network Manager I was very happy, but it would be nice not to have to enter the keyring password after logging in. Luckily, there is a PAM module pam_keyring that will automatically unlock your gnome keyring when you login. You can find pam_keyring and more info here. Pam_keyring is not currently an available package for Ubuntu, but you can get it installed pretty easily on 6.06. For this to work, your login password and your keyring password must be the same. If the two passwords are not the same, there are a few possibilities. (See below)**

Pam_keyring requires the following packages (I think they are installed by default in 6.06):
    gnome-keyring >= 0.4.8
    gnome-session >= 2.10
    pam >= 0.77

Since you will need to compile pam_keyring from source, you will also need some development packages. Here are the additional packages that I needed to install (were not installed by default in 6.06):

build-essential
    libtool
    libglib2.0-dev
    libgnome-keyring-dev
    libpam0g-dev

You can install these packages using Synaptic. Then download pam_keyring-0.0.8.tar.gz. Open a terminal window, find the downloaded tarball and do the following at the command line:

Code:
    tar -xvvzf pam_keyring-0.0.8.tar.gz
    Code:
    cd pam_keyring-0.0.8
    Code:
    ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/lib
    - hopefully you get no errors here. If you do, most likely you are missing a needed package.

Code:
    make
    Code:
    sudo make install
    - this should ask you for your password

Now, you will need to edit one file. I use vi, but if you are more comfortable with a graphical editor you can enter the following:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/pam.d/gdm
    add the following two lines to the end of the file:

Code:
    auth optional pam_keyring.so try_first_pass
    session optional pam_keyring.so
    Now you can reboot and it should not ask you for your keyring password to log onto your encrypted wireless network.

Hope this works for everyone.

Kawayanan

** If your login password and your keyring password are not the same, you have to fix this and there are a couple of possible ways. Unfortuantely, there isn't a good way to change your keyring password, and you will need to work around this.

1) Change you login password to match your keyring password

2) You may be able to remove the keyring entirely and create a new one. See this page for info. I haven't tried this, but howfully the next time Network Manager tries to logon to your encrypted wireless network it would ask you for the encryption key again and create a new keyring (use your logon password this time). Someone should post if they do whis to confirm this works.

3) If you are feeling really brave, Jonathan Nettleton (who maintains pam_keyring) has submitted a patch to the gnome-keyring that allows you to change the keyring password. It has not been excepted yet, but he has provided patched cvs downloads that people can test. He has more info and the downloads here. Hopefull in the future, we will all be able to easily change our keyring passwords. Thanks Jonathan Nettleton.

Re: Howto: Get Network Manager to stop asking you for your keyring password (pam_keyr

A "checkinstall" might be better than "sudo make install", im trying this as soon as I get home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Howto: Get Network Manager to stop asking you for your keyring password (pam_keyr

Ah, thanks! NOW you actually can work with gnome-keyring

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Did not work for me. I had to delete my old keyring using keyring manager in order to get passwords to match so maybe this is the issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

It works! Thanks for the howto.

Beans

Made a .DEB for those that are little lazy But you still need to add this to the GDM file.

cd /etc/pam.d
    sudo gedit gdm

Code:
    ## Added so that NetworkManager doesn't keep asking for Keyring password.
    ## relies on having same password to keyring as login password. 
    auth optional pam_keyring.so try_first_pass 
    session optional pam_keyring.so
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Thanks for the .deb (and the howto) - installed and working for me too. That's another little annoyance crossed off the list (on my wife's laptop, so it needs to be kept simple ....)
    horace

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Okay I tried this hoping nautilus wouldn't ask me for the keyring password when accessing my samba shares, but that didn't work, how do I uninstall pam_keyring?

- rmjb
    Registered Linux User #422402

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Okay, I was lazy and I didn't reboot to test this initially, now that I've rebooted it works.

- rmjb
    Registered Linux User #422402

Beans

Smile Re: Howto: Get Network Manager to stop asking you for your keyring password (pam_keyr

Kawayanan; Thank you very much. This worked like a charm for me on my Presario V2000, it's nice not having to enter the password everytime I reboot.

Good work!

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast