Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Clement Lefebvre (Mint) not offering Unity. Compares it to Enlightment or Fluxbox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Clement Lefebvre (Mint) not offering Unity. Compares it to Enlightment or Fluxbox

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    If you like Unity, why would you install Mint, anyway?
    You make too much sense sometimes, and takes away from the "debate" part of the thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Clement Lefebvre (Mint) not offering Unity. Compares it to Enlightment or Fluxbox

This whole debate has made me think about how I use the Desktop Environment and I've observed that Unity is not as intuitive to use when one does not use a mouse or a touch-screen. However this just me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I think i recall reading somewhere that linux mint has about 1/2 million users (globally) where as ubuntu has closer to something like 200 million users (again, globally)...so as popular as mint is (as an alternate to ubuntu) ubuntu is still huge in comparison (as far as the amount of users)...
    Mint users will never outnumber Ubuntu users because the connection data Ubuntu uses for this data counts Ubuntu and everything based on Ubuntu. Ubuntu estimates 20 million users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC3pO View Post
    Mint users will never outnumber Ubuntu users because the connection data Ubuntu uses for this data counts Ubuntu and everything based on Ubuntu. Ubuntu estimates 20 million users.
    Yeah that was a "typo" on my part...i had meant 20 million users for ubuntu...
    yes...that is true they count all ubuntu based distros as well in their figure but regardless, the number of mint users will never be as large as the number who use ubuntu (and i mean ubuntu specifically, not a spin off like mint, zorin, etc...)....

You can tell just from comparing the size of ubuntu forums vs mint forums....and i know you might say, well mint users use ubuntu forums to resolve problems but mostly i don't think so...i belong to both forums and i would say most mint users pose their problems on mint forums even if the problems may be caused by an underlying ubuntu problem within mint...mint makes certain changes to ubuntu aside from adding in additional things, so logically, one would get more meaningful input on the mint problems on their forum then they will on the ubuntu forums...
    Last edited by craig10x; March 16th, 2012 at 05:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just tried Cinnomon on Ubuntu 11.10, very nice experience. It works out of the box nearly as the Xubuntu fitted to my needs.
    Well done!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes Cinnamon 1.4 is a nice stable desktop. I prefer it now to Mate, Gnome classic, gnome shell or Unity.

The great thing about FOSS is the choice available.
    "Linux is evolution, not intelligent design." - Linus Torvalds

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567