Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install LinuxDC++

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Post HOWTO: Install LinuxDC++

UPDATE 1: LinuxDC++ 1.1.0 has been released. This guide is only if you want to compile the latest LinuxDC++ from Bazaar, which may or may not be as stable as 1.1.0. You can find it in our: LinuxDC++ Release PPA

UPDATE 2: You can install debian binaries of our latest unreleased code from our Launchpad PPA.

First off, for those that don't know, LinuxDC++ is a Linux port of the file-sharing program DC++. It uses the DC++ core but with a GTK+ GUI. It has also been called by many other names including: linuxdcpp, ldcpp, dcpp, ldc++, dc++ for linux, wulfor. I'm a developer on LinuxDC++ and thought I'd write up a guide to install LinuxDC++ on Ubuntu.

First, download the required dependencies:

bzr
    scons
    build-essential
    libgtk2.0-dev
    libglade2-dev
    zlib1g-dev
    libbz2-dev
    libssl-dev
    libboost-dev

To do this in one command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install bzr scons build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libglade2-dev zlib1g-dev libbz2-dev libssl-dev libboost-dev
    There are no official releases of the program since it's still in alpha. This means that there exists no official binaries for any distribution. However, to install LinuxDC++ you can download it through bazaar. Run these commands in your home directory or somewhere else where you have write access:

Code:
    bzr branch lp:linuxdcpp
    Now to install (you can set PREFIX to whatever, but I'd recommend /usr/local):
    Code:
    cd linuxdcpp
    scons release=1 PREFIX=/usr/local
    sudo scons install
    To run:
    Code:
    linuxdcpp
    Note: Turn off Assistive Technologies before running LinuxDC++ (System->Preferences->Assistive Technologies). For some reason, it makes linuxdcpp run very slowly and display a bunch of errors.

When we update the source, you can update your linuxdcpp source and re-run the scons & scons install commands from above to install it again. To update the source:
    Code:
    cd /path/to/source/dir
    bzr update
    To uninstall LinuxDC++:
    Code:
    cd /path/to/source/dir
    sudo scons -c install
    Then you can delete your source directory if you like.

Some links:
    • LinuxDC++: official homepage
    • PPA: Debian packages of our latest unreleased code
    • LinuxDC++ Wiki: You can find our FAQ and our manual here.
    • DC++: original windows DC++ program that LinuxDC++ is based on.
    • #linuxdc++@freenode.net: Visit our IRC channel if you have any questions. I'm usually there under the nick "_steven_"; if I'm not, just ask in the channel and somebody should hopefully respond.
    Last edited by stevensheehy; April 17th, 2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: PPA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO: Install LinuxDC++

Great howto, thx for all the help on irc

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Nice howto, thnx. Now let's hope for a final and bug-free release of linuxdc++.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Works like a charm....no problems here.
    Ran one of your previous releases under breezy...very unstable and buggy.

One thing thou...it uses alot of cpu power from time to time....ie. when I connect to a hub with say 3000+ users....it takes alot of cpu power to calculate number of users and the amount of files shared.

Other than, that everything is peachy..!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by mrazster
    One thing thou...it uses alot of cpu power from time to time....ie. when I connect to a hub with say 3000+ users....it takes alot of cpu power to calculate number of users and the amount of files shared.
    Don't sort the user list. GtkTreeView is inefficient when inserting thousands of rows and having it sorted. Keeping it unsorted until it fully loads should speed things up. Same with search.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Works ok, it's allittle buggy still. /fav doesn't seem to work (Maybe it's supposed to be like this?) and it refuses to show any hublist. Anyone else having this problem? One of the hublists doesn't exist and dc tells me this but when I remove that one nothing happens at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Rizado
    Works ok, it's allittle buggy still. /fav doesn't seem to work (Maybe it's supposed to be like this?) and it refuses to show any hublist. Anyone else having this problem? One of the hublists doesn't exist and dc tells me this but when I remove that one nothing happens at all.
    As I've said previously, it's still in alpha so bugs are to be expected. I've also mentioned that not all features have been implemented (eg /fav). hublist.org might be down again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by stevensheehy
    Don't sort the user list. GtkTreeView is inefficient when inserting thousands of rows and having it sorted. Keeping it unsorted until it fully loads should speed things up. Same with search.
    Well...it does that by default. Atleast it does for me....and either I'm dumb or blind ....but I can't a setting for it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by mrazster
    Well...it does that by default. Atleast it does for me....and either I'm dumb or blind ....but I can't a setting for it.
    No it does not. Sometimes a hub sends the user list in somewhat sorted order, but the GtkTreeView is not sorted upon startup. You can tell because there's no arrow indicating order on any of the column headers.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by stevensheehy
    As I've said previously, it's still in alpha so bugs are to be expected. I've also mentioned that not all features have been implemented (eg /fav). hublist.org might be down again.
    Well the thing is hublist.org isn't down, the other one is and it tell me this but then nothing happens. I just wanted to know if this only happens to me.

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast