Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Replace gnome-screensaver with xscreensaver

Beans

HOWTO: Replace gnome-screensaver with xscreensaver

Note: I have another guide for adjusting screensaver settings in Dapper without replacing gnome-screensaver. I prefer the method described in that guide to this one, but your mileage may vary. Both have their pros and cons so make sure you check out both before applying the instructions.

Problem: Dapper ships with gnome-screensaver instead of xscreensaver, which gives the user no option to set individual screensaver settings.

Details: In Dapper display power management functions were decoupled from the screensaver with the introduction of Gnome Power Manager. xscreensaver provides both functions, thus became partially redundant. Refer to the gnome-screensaver FAQ, the upstream bugzilla discussion and the Launchpad discussion for more details if interested.

Ubuntu has a tendency to stick with the GNOME suite of applications unless absolutely necessary, and the GNOME developers do have reasons for doing what they're doing, so gnome-screensaver does have its longer term use, but in immediate practical terms we need a way of configuring screensaver options; otherwise most of them are either unusable or have crippled functionality. The following isn't a very elegant modification, but one that works nevertheless. Refer to the "Drawbacks" part at the bottom for possible dysfunctions after applying this.

Solution: Get xscreensaver back, disable gnome-screensaver.

1. To configure gnome-screensaver not to function, go to System / Preferences / Screensaver and uncheck both checkboxes.

2. To totally stop gnome-screensaver from running, kill its process
    Code:
    sudo killall gnome-screensaver
    and prevent it from being launched on startup
    Code:
    gconftool-2 --type boolean -s /apps/gnome_settings_daemon/screensaver/start_screensaver false
    If the latter doesn't seem to be working persistently for some reason, resort to making gnome-screensaver unexecutable:
    Code:
    sudo chmod -x /usr/bin/gnome-screensaver
    3. Install xscreensaver.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xscreensaver
    4. Optional: Install the extra screensavers in the repositories that don't come installed as default.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xscreensaver-data-extra xscreensaver-gl-extra
    5. Add the xscreensaver daemon to your list of startup programs. Go to System / Preferences / Sessions / Startup Programs, click "Add" and type "xscreensaver -no-splash".

6. Modify the System / Preferences / Screensaver menu entry to launch the xscreensaver configuration window instead of the gnome-screensaver one:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /usr/share/applications/gnome-screensaver-preferences.desktop
    Locate the following line:
    Code:
    Exec=gnome-screensaver-preferences
    and change it to
    Code:
    Exec=xscreensaver-demo
    and comment out the last four lines to make them look like this:
    Code:
    #X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Bugzilla=GNOME
    #X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Product=gnome-screensaver
    #X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Component=general
    #X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=gnome-screensaver
    7. Click System / Preferences / Screensaver to launch the xscreensaver configuration window, go to the "Advanced" tab and uncheck the "Power Management Enabled" checkbox. This should stop xscreensaver's power saving features from conflicting with Gnome Power Manager.

8. Optional: Create a launcher to lock the screen manually. Right click your desktop, choose "Create Launcher", and enter the following as the command: "xscreensaver-command -lock".

Drawbacks:

- System / Quit / Lock Screen doesn't function after applying this, since it locks the screen via gnome-screensaver. I'm looking for a fix to this; in the meantime you can use the launcher you created in step 8 as a workaround. (Update: See this post for a suggested fix. I haven't tried it yet)

- In my experience the screen won't get locked when closing the laptop lid but this may be due to my (mis)configuration; I'll report back on this after experimenting a bit.

- You get the standard xscreensaver unlock dialog when unlocking the screen instead of the Dapper one, which detracts from the overall polish a bit, if you mind such things.
    Last edited by 23meg; June 11th, 2009 at 07:22 AM.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Replace gnome-screensaver with xscreensaver

Thank you for this HowTo.
    All worked fine and no messing up so far

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

yes, that's work, but i prefer to use alacarte to add a new menu entry for xscreensaver-demo, this way keep everything to restore easily gnome screensaver, and btw why edit manually conf file when the graphical way works

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ayoli
    yes, that's work, but i prefer to use alacarte to add a new menu entry for xscreensaver-demo, this way keep everything to restore easily gnome screensaver,
    Having menu items for both doesn't make sense when gnome-screensaver is completely disabled; that's why I suggested replacing the existing menu item instead of adding another.
    and btw why edit manually conf file when the graphical way works
    It's easier and less error prone to describe the non-graphical way in a guide, and you can't comment out lines with Alacarte.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg
    Having menu items for both doesn't make sense when gnome-screensaver is completely disabled; that's why I suggested replacing the existing menu item instead of adding another.
    menu items can be hide/shown and if ppl totally don't want gnome-screensaver why don't just apt-get remove it ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 23meg
    It's easier and less error prone to describe the non-graphical way in a guide...
    i agree with that

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ayoli
    menu items can be hide/shown and if ppl totally don't want gnome-screensaver why don't just apt-get remove it ?
    Because removing it also removes ubuntu-desktop; just disabling it is a less aggressive method and makes it easier to revert back to it if desired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

ah yes, true. but weird to have a dep that force to keep unwanted/unused apps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

it's only me, or "fade to black" option doesn't work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

xscreensaver "fade to black" option works perfectly on my laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

d'oh. that's strange...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast