Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fstab problem

Beans

fstab problem

Hello, I am sorry I am posting on ubuntu forum when I am a Linux Mint user but when I was searching for help, this forum (especially this thread) seems to me like the right way to go.

I already posted on here on Linux Mint forum and described my problem there but I am still in the same problems which I was in yesterday. There are pieces of advice by others and they might describe problem better and give you more useful information than copy and paste my text I posted there.

I have been using Mint for four months, in booting/mounting/etc I am a total noob.

Thanks for any help, I am desperate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: fstab problem

That fstab shows your root partition as read-only. Change that line from:
    Code:
    UUID=3cbb67e7-2aee-4a20-9544-2de13b9447ac  /            ext4  ro                       0  1
    to:
    Code:
    UUID=3cbb67e7-2aee-4a20-9544-2de13b9447ac  /            ext4  errors=remount          0  1

Beans

But how? I cant edit anything in nano, not in recovery mode, even not as an admin user, it keeps saying "read only file system" (or something very similar, I use my language version).

Beans
    Distro

Boot up into your LiveCD or USB, mount that partition and edit the file that way.

Beans

I tried according to this, and:

Code:
    root@ubuntu:~# mkdir rootmount
    root@ubuntu:~# mount -t ext4 /dev/sda9 ~/rootmount
    root@ubuntu:~# sudo cp ~/rootmount/etc/fstab ~/rootmount/etc/fstab.broken
    so far no problem

root@ubuntu:~# sudo cp ~ /rootmount/etc/fstab.bak ~/rootmount/etc/fstab
    after this its saying this: 
    cp: target `/home/ubuntu/rootmount/etc/fstab' is not a directory

Beans
    Distro

You don't want to restore your backup, because your backup has the same error. Now that you've got the partition mounted, just open up the file (which will be at ~/rootmount/etc/fstab from the look of it) and make the edit to the file I detailed above.

Beans

Thanks. Its for the first time it doesnt say its "read only". But after I finish (ctrl + X) and confirm changes (Y) it asks me "File Name to Write", when I type fstab (and enter) and then check the file again, there are no changes. It remains the same
    I am sorry I am wasting your time with this and appreciate your help and time you are giving me.

And another question: shouldnt be edited also this line
    Code:
    /dev/sda6                                  /media/sda6  ntfs  nls=iso8859-1,ro,noauto,umask=000  0  0
    ?
    I mean that ro, noauto.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by alena2 View Post
    Thanks. Its for the first time it doesnt say its "read only". But after I finish (ctrl + X) and confirm changes (Y) it asks me "File Name to Write", when I type fstab (and enter) and then check the file again, there are no changes. It remains the same
    I am sorry I am wasting your time with this and appreciate your help and time you are giving me.

And another question: shouldnt be edited also this line
    Code:
    /dev/sda6                                  /media/sda6  ntfs  nls=iso8859-1,ro,noauto,umask=000  0  0
    ?
    I mean that ro, noauto.
    you need to use sudo to edit fstab (sudo nano /etc/fstab)

Beans
    Distro

That file will be owned by root, did you open it using sudo?

As for the other entry, that's up to you. It's not a system partition, as you can tell from the way it's mounted at /media/sda6. It's and NTFS (ie: Windows) partition, so unless you want to be able to write to it, there's no harm in it being read only.

Beans

You guys are great

Yes, I did (but for the first time not, I am a noob, really). But I was choosing the file manually (ctrl + r, ctrl + t), and thats probably the changes didnt remain, when I use
    sudo nano ~/rootmount/etc/fstab
    the changes are there now!

@dino99
    just sudo nano /etc/fstab brougt me to this fstab:
    Code:
    aufs / aufs rw 0 0
    tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nosuid,nodev 0 0
    /dev/sda10 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/sda8 swap swap defaults 0 0
    I can ignore this fstab, can I?

So I changed "ro" to "errors=remount" in the fstab file in rootmount/etc, can I reboot now? Or there must some unmounting done before it?

Seems I am getting somewhere with you, thanks a lot, THANKS!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast