Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What do non geeks want?

Beans

What would make a distro newbie friendly?

I would like to hear others' opinions about what would make a distro so user friendly that the average Windows user would feel comfortable switching over to Linux. (Isn't that what the idea is after all?) If you are a firm believer that one must go through an effectual Linux hazing by having to sweat over line commands and complicated installations before you are invited into the club, and that anything that smacks of the odious WIndows system is like a cross to a vampire, your input is not what I would like to elicit. Below are my thoughts on this:

First, the distro should automatically recognize and install most hardware and the user should be able to surf the web, view videos and audio, read e-mail, use the printer etc. once installation is finished without spending lots of time tweaking, problem solving, searching for answers on the web, etc. and without having to throw out his/her present hardware in order to buy new Linux-friendly components.

I realize that lots of hardware can't be installed in Linux because the manufacturers' haven't released the specs. It's not the distro developers fault, nevertheless, I've installed Windows in dozens of machines and this is what I've always ended up with after an install, and what would make more people apt to convert to a Linux distro.

Second, the GUI should have a functioning link to almost anything the user needs to do. That is, the command line should be avoided whenever possible.

Third, the distro should make it easy for the newbie to do a dual boot so that both OSs are available. Few people are going switch over cold turkey, and a dual boot makes the transition process easier.

Fourth, the distro should have an initial desktop that is attractive. Yes, I know that you can modify it to your heart's content, but it is a good idea to wow the person with a spectacular desktop from the beginning. (Please don't flame me for it but in my opinion the brown Ubuntu default doesn't make the cut here.)

Fifth, there should be some good step-by-step documentation available in the distro itself. I don't consider googling for answers good documentation.

Any other ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: What would make a distro newbie friendly?

What some seem to think makes a distro newbie friendly to me is crazy...

Like the fact linspire changed around things a bit to make a "Launch" button there where the start button on windows would be. And the PCLinuxOS made their gnome version like that too. Honestly, if someone likes the start button so much they should stick with windows. I personally find the default gnome setup on ubuntu to be very user friendly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Please, for god's sake don't dumbify Ubuntu's GUI even more than it already is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by chimera
    Please, for god's sake don't dumbify Ubuntu's GUI even more than it already is.
    Im saying them making gnome/kde look like windows is stupid and doesent help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by xequence
    Im saying them making gnome/kde look like windows is stupid and doesent help.
    Agree, they should aim for functionality instead of making it look like windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I read an interesting article the other day that did point out some possible problems with getting end users into the Linux world. It focused on the way programs are named. Their examples included...

Gimp or Photoshop

Windows Media Player or Xine or Totem

This did make a bit of sense with a new linux end user in mind.
    registered linux user #380455

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by span
    That is, the command line should be avoided whenever possible.
    I hope you don't mean that you would actually eliminate command-line functions. Having a choice between GUI and CLI would be fine, but I don't think the CLI should be "avoided."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

First, the distro should automatically recognize and install most hardware and the user should be able to surf the web, view videos and audio, read e-mail, use the printer etc. once installation is finished without spending lots of time tweaking, problem solving, searching for answers on the web, etc. and without having to throw out his/her present hardware in order to buy new Linux-friendly components.
    Ubuntu does that, you know. All my hardware was found and configured, except for my graphics card and printer. Printer had to be installed, and I had to download the NVIDIA drivers. As for videos and audio, it is illegal for Ubuntu to ship non GPL codecs..

Second, the GUI should have a functioning link to almost anything the user needs to do. That is, the command line should be avoided whenever possible.
    I agree up to a point. The command line should not be thrown away, like as on Windows. However, most things just have to be done with the command line, like compiling programs or writing scrips. I can't visualise them being done with the GUI.

Third, the distro should make it easy for the newbie to do a dual boot so that both OSs are available. Few people are going switch over cold turkey, and a dual boot makes the transition process easier.
    Yes, the partitioning of Ubuntu should be made easier, like Mandriva's, for example.

Fourth, the distro should have an initial desktop that is attractive. Yes, I know that you can modify it to your heart's content, but it is a good idea to wow the person with a spectacular desktop from the beginning. (Please don't flame me for it but in my opinion the brown Ubuntu default doesn't make the cut here.)
    That's why there is KDE. I also agree with you, GNOME looks ugly. IMHO, the user should have a choice, however at installation, like as on SUSE. How about for example, a screenshot of default KDE and GNOME and the user can choose?

Fifth, there should be some good step-by-step documentation available in the distro itself. I don't consider googling for answers good documentation.
    There is help in Ubuntu. Try pressing the life buoy!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by gw90se
    I read an interesting article the other day that did point out some possible problems with getting end users into the Linux world. It focused on the way programs are named. Their examples included...

Gimp or Photoshop

Windows Media Player or Xine or Totem

This did make a bit of sense with a new linux end user in mind.
    if a potential linux user cant get over the fact that something is named "totem" instead of "media player" or "gimp" instead of "photoshop," then they can stay with windows for all i care. if someone is that set on the name of an application to the point where they wont look outside the box, then that is just god damned asinine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Cool Re: What would make a distro newbie friendly?

Ok guys and gals listen up. I believe that there are a lot of you that need
    a small dose of reality about the world out there.
    The general public is not and I repeat "not" going to go for a computer os
    that is not user friendly. I installed ubuntu on my system a couple of months back for something new to challenge my senses. I am by no means a computer
    nerd "so to speak". I spent an awful lot of time getting my os to a point that I can use for almost everything that most of the general public could use.
    I have been truly impressed by what all of you have created with the linux systems that are available. But , you must understand that that most of us don't want to hunt for something to add to our computers and the command line will NEVER be accepted by the general public.
    When I read some of these forums I feel like I am in the midst of a bunch of spoiled, over-educated children. If you want the command line, then for
    god's sake keep it. But if you are truly interested in giving microsoft competition then you are going to have to put forth a product that will be generally accepted by the masses and not just a fancy toy as some of you
    give the impression.

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast