Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here is happy with Vista?

Beans

Who here is happy with Vista?

I tried beta 2 last night and I gotta say for something nearly a year from completion it's awesome. I was very surprised. Looks like I'll be triple booting for a while.
    Ubuntu fanboy ~ Do yourself a favor and get a DS Lite. It has the best lineup of games this 30 year gamer has ever seen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Who here is happy with Vista?

Quote Originally Posted by tsb
    I tried beta 2 last night and I gotta say for something nearly a year from completion it's awesome. I was very surprised. Looks like I'll be triple booting for a while.
    i haven't even bothered to get my hands on vista. i'm plenty happy with ubuntu, and want no part of the (presumably) drm-riddled vista.
    Last edited by nanotube; June 20th, 2006 at 05:13 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Who here is happy with Ubuntu Edgy Eft? Not me. Why? Because just like the current versions of Windows Vista, it's too unstable for me to lay my judgement on it.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans

DRM is a fact of life we need to accept if we want the latest technology. Unfortunately there seems to be little interest in having HD DVD/BD support in Linux, so I'll probably be dual booting for the forseeable future. Some things come up a little slow, but once you adjust all the settings like you want it's not a big deal. IE7 is awesome and the eye candy is better than xgl/Compiz IMO.
    Ubuntu fanboy ~ Do yourself a favor and get a DS Lite. It has the best lineup of games this 30 year gamer has ever seen.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bored2k
    Who here is happy with Ubuntu Edgy Eft? Not me. Why? Because just like the current versions of Windows Vista, it's too unstable for me to lay my judgement on it.
    How often does Vista crash on you? I'm definitely not going to keep important files on its partition, but it hasn't crashed on me yet.

What also impressed me is that every hardware item and key on my laptop worked OOTB. The only thing I need to do is install the synaptic touchpad driver so I can scroll by page with the rocker button. Everything else was perfect automatically.
    Last edited by tsb; June 20th, 2006 at 06:19 AM.

Beans

I tried Vista and while I like it much less than any GNU/Linux or BSD distro I tried (OS X included), it is a great and overdue improvement over the old Windows XP. At least this time they are trying to implement some security mechanism, and use a visual style default that's easy on the eyes.

The hardware requirements, though, are simply insane. They use the argument that the new window manager is heavier graphically, and it would've convinced me except that I've seen XGL and OS X work on half the specs, with more impressive visual effects.
    But I mean no harm nor put fault
    On anyone that lives in a vault
    But it's alright, Ma, if I can't please him.

Beans
    Hidden!

DRM is a fact of life
    Yep, it is. I'm in no way willing to embrace it by supporting a company, who in tandem with the RIAA, wants to use it to restrict my rights to my fair-use of media which I have legally acquired.
    There is no benevolent intention with DRM.
    Vista will never see the light of day in my household

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would sooner listen to the silence of no entertainment media than embrace DRM, it's not just thats it's restrictive it's propritory and I laugh at the content companies for alowing them selves to become owned by the technoledgy that is suposed to support they new markets.

Windows as always will never be installed and I can not use it because I don't agree to the EULA.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by nalmeth
    Yep, it is. I'm in no way willing to embrace it by supporting a company, who in tandem with the RIAA, wants to use it to restrict my rights to my fair-use of media which I have legally acquired.
    There is no benevolent intention with DRM.
    Vista will never see the light of day in my household

Amen! This is the very reason that I converted all my .wma files to mp3 and switched to linux. Controlling thieves!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp
    Amen! This is the very reason that I converted all my .wma files to mp3 and switched to linux. Controlling thieves!
    Mp3, tsk. tsk. What about ogg?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast