Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Canon Pixma iP4200

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

HOWTO: Canon Pixma iP4200

UPDATE: In Hardy Heron, the Pixma iP4200 is pretty much plug-n-play, and doesn't require any special configuration. It uses the gutenprint driver. If for some reason that doesn't work for you, the process below might still be useful.

-------------------

After a few weeks of trying on and off, I have finally gotten my Pixma 4200 working. I can't promise the same will work for everyone, but I hope it is helpful. If not, post about it, and we'll try to find the problem.
    This is also on the wiki at: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CanonPixmaIP4200

Note: You will have to accept Canon's license agreement to download the software.

1. Connect your printer, and start Ubuntu.

2. Install the needed packages: alien, libxml1 and libpng3 with Synaptic or type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update 
    sudo apt-get install alien libxml1 libpng3
    3. Download the drivers for your printer from Canon. For the purposes of this howto, we will assume that the files are saved to the directory /home/yourname/canon. The iP4200 drivers are here: http://software.canon-europe.com/Pri...P420010232.asp or type in a terminal

Code:
    cd canon 
    wget http://software.canon-europe.com/files/soft24302/software/iP4200_Linux_260.tar.gz
    4. Extract the files with archive manager.

5. Convert the RPM packages to Debian packages:

Code:
    sudo alien cnijfilter-common-2.60-1.i386.rpm cnijfilter-ip4200-2.60-1.i386.rpm
    6. Install the packages:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    7. Make sure the library links are correct. /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 should point to /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3 (or to the same thing as /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 points to) If not, type:
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3 
    sudo ldconfig
    8. Restart cups: sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

9. Add a new printer. Under GNOME, this is accessed in System|Preferences|Printing. Select Canon as the manufacturer, and select model "iP4200 Ver.2.60" Select "Standard" for the driver (this should be the only option). Make sure the connection is correct. Hopefully, printing a test page will work!

Unfortunately, the installed PPD file doesn't allow you to select the printing quality. To fix this, back up your ppd file, then open it as root (insert your username in place of "yourname"):
    Code:
    cp /usr/share/cups/model/canonip4200.ppd  /home/yourname/canon/canonip4200.ppd
    sudo gedit /usr/share/cups/model/canonip4200.ppd
    Insert these lines in the file after the "Resolution" section:
    Code:
    *OpenUI *CNQuality/Quality: PickOne
    *DefaultCNQuality: 2
    *CNQuality 2/High: "2"
    *CNQuality 3/Normal: "3"
    *CNQuality 4/Standard: "4"
    *CNQuality 5/Economy: "5"
    *CloseUI: *CNQuality
    After this, delete the printer and create a new one. This will make sure the modified PPD file is being used. You should now be able to set the printing quality in the "Advanced" tab of the printer properties window.

To perform maintenece on the printer, such as head cleaning, type in a terminal:
    Code:
    cngpij -P ip4200
    You may want to add this to your menu, since it is a real pain to remember.
    In the window that pops up, select "Maintenence".
    Last edited by Steven_B; June 21st, 2008 at 06:11 PM. Reason: howto is mostly obsolete in Hardy :-)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Canon Pixma iP4200

Not sure what you mean by this:
    7. Make sure the library links are correct. /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 should point to /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3 (or to the same thing as /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 points to) If not, type:
    I don't see any reference to libtiff.so.3 on my system... What do you mean when you say, "to the same thing as /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 points to" ?

Here's all the "libtiff..." entries from my /usr/lib directory:

Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root       16 2006-06-28 17:24 libtiff.so.4 -> libtiff.so.4.1.4
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root   327428 2006-06-07 22:02 libtiff.so.4.1.4
    I guess I'll leave it as-is... because if I changed the link to point to /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3 I think it would give an error, since there is no libtiff.so.3... but I'm new at this, so I could be all wet. Please let me know.

EDIT: After installing the driver I can't seem to get a test page. I am printing to a printer that's connected to my Windows machine, if that matters, and I'm selecting "Windows Printer (SMB)" as the connection type. I see the test page jobs exit the spooler, but the printer doesn't budge. Previous to finding your instructions I was able to print a test page using the IP4000 driver (but it looked really bad-wrong driver). Any pointers appreciated. Thanks for documenting this. I hope I can get it to work.
    Last edited by popie; July 10th, 2006 at 02:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Create a link to libtiff.so.4.1.4 with:
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4.1.4 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3
    I'm pretty sure the symlink is the key to getting it working.
    I'm also printing remotly with samba, so that shouldn't be the problem. If you have the printer set up, just try selecting a different driver (ip4000 or BJC-4200), to double-check that it works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Steven,

Creating the link worked! I'm sorry, but I didn't understand the syntax of links, which led to my not trying to create the link. I didn't "get" that when the program called libtif.so.3 it would be pointed at libtif.so.4. My thinking 180 degrees off. Thanks again.

Beans

I am a newbie, but followed the instructions fine (well worded Steve).

Printing a test page worked OK, but took a VERY long time (around 20 minutes). Does anyone have a cause or a fix for this? (The printer did not move when I printed from Firefox - the job was created in the print queue).

I have my ip4200 connected locally (USB), using Dapper Drake (6.06).

In point 6, I needed to use the sudo prefix:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb

In point 9, I noticed the .ppd suffix was missing, I used:
    sudo gedit /usr/share/cups/model/canonip4200.ppd

While I was not able to get printing happily, I found some additional tips in the link from the wiki page of this fix which may help some people (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...Printers/PIXMA) - which should allow better resolution:
    5.Edit .ppd file To allow printing quality options to be accessed through cups' printer properties you must edit as root the printer's ppd file. (This applies only to the ip4000. I don't know the settings for ip3000 or ip8600.Backup and try it)

$ sudo gedit /usr/share/cups/model/canonpixusip4100.ppd

Add these lines:

*OpenUI *CNQuality/Quality: PickOne
    *DefaultCNQuality: 3
    *CNQuality 2/High: "2"
    *CNQuality 3/Normal: "3"
    *CNQuality 4/Standard: "4"
    *CNQuality 5/Economy: "5"
    *CloseUI: *CNQuality

You can also replace these lines:

*OpenUI *Resolution/Output Resolution: PickOne
    *DefaultResolution: 600
    *Resolution 600/600 dpi: "<</HWResolution[600 600]>>setpagedevice"
    *CloseUI: *Resolution

with:

*OpenUI *Resolution/Output Resolution: PickOne
    *DefaultResolution: 600
    *Resolution 600/600 dpi: "<</HWResolution[600 600]>>setpagedevice"
    *Resolution 1200/1200 dpi: "<</HWResolution[1200 1200]>>setpagedevice"
    *Resolution 2400/2400 dpi: "<</HWResolution[2400 2400]>>setpagedevice"
    *CloseUI: *Resolution

Save the file

Note: This info may be old, so I also added:
    *Resolution 4800/4800 dpi: "<</HWResolution[4800 4800]>>setpagedevice"
    Hard to say if it had any effect based on the test page, but it printed!
    (And yes - I was having problems before trying these additional 'fixes').

I also tried updating the additional (2) lib file links mentioned in this page - and eventually got there, but they have not helped.

Please help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Question Re: HOWTO: Canon Pixma iP4200

Thanks, Steve. I was wondering how I was going to get my Canon printer working. One question though, after I edit the .ppd file and add the quality lines after the resolution section, there is still no way to change resolution. Under the advanced tab in the printer properties, I only have 'page region' and 'color model'. I have deleted the printer and reinstalled it per your instructions. What else can I do?

davidswe

Beans
    Distro

@davidswe
    Look somewhere like /etc/cups/ppd for a ppd file with the name canonip4200.ppd. (I don't remember the exact location, and I don't have access to my linux box ) Make sure it has the lines you added for the quality. Check to make sure you have only one canonip4200.ppd file in /usr/share/cups/model, and make sure it is the one that you modified. A backup file might have been created, which will still have the old settings. It is possible for it to be accidentally used, because the file name doesn't matter.

@Brodie 1 Kenobie
    You might want to try printing with different driver, just to make sure the printer is working right. If you have the printer set up, try the ip4000 or BJC-4200 driver. Also, what resolution settings are you using?

I also saw and added the lines about resolution. It didn't seem to make any difference, so I left it out of this howto.
    Thanks for the corrections. I have edited the howto.

Beans

Resolution was set to 600dpi.
    Printer was working fine (bought 2 weeks ago) under Win XP before so there should be no hardware problem.

PIXMA ip4000 driver (high quality image (gutenprint)(en)) was also slow, and the test page did not print properly - the red and blue were stretched to the right (yellow and black appeared to be normal). It also stopped printing after the Magenta row.

BJC6000 (bjc600(reccomended)) at 90dpi driver printed a smaller test page (about 1/3 of A4) and the black frame around the first Red Green and Blue colour boxes (10%) was not good (some stripes randomly within the boxes).

Baffled!

Beans

BTW Davidswe - I noticed the same thing too. Restarting cups didn't help, but I think it came good after I restarted the box.

Beans
    Distro

Are you printing over a network using samba? I got the same size and color results with the ip4000 and bjc-600 drivers. It seems like a problem besides the ip4200 driver itself, so I don't know what to do.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast