Page 20 of 206 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Wink Re: Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide

[QUOTE=LordRaiden;1371226]louis_nichols - I would not know know how to do that. In an music player like amarok, you can pick the kind of output you want (default, 5.1, headphones) but I don't know how you would enable it on the card. I think there might be better resources on alsa-project and alsa-wiki.

rck_hitokiri - Sorry, I meant
    Code:
    aoss hydrogen
    I also found some resources:
    http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.p...e=Linux_Issues
    http://www.hydrogen-music.org/conten...oneAudioDriver

Apparently, hydrogen now works with ALSA, and audacity can be compiled with ALSA support. You would probably have to compile the latest versions but then you would not have to worry about one application controlling the sound.

Thanks Doc. Helped Me a lot there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pneaveill View Post
    Do you have a list of websites that we can glean from?
    Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. To quote myself (the post I had placed in the main body):

I have finally resolved my sound-card problems, and offer this solution to others with the same "no sound" problem I have had.

Aparently, Ubuntu does not completely install Alsa, nor the sound devices necessary to operate the sound card. Instead, go to

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/

Look up the sound card for your system by manufacturer (i.e. Creative Labs) to see if it is supported. This will take you to a page with the supported sound cards for that manufacturer listed. It will list the chipset and the driver. Click on the driver will take you to a page describing how to configure, make and install the Alsa drivers. Download the suggested files (use a second window/browser for this, so you can keep the instructions up).

SUGGESTION: To follow the directions, open a root terminal, or a standard one and log in as root (alternatively, you would have to preceed their instructions with sudo)

At the end of the directions, where it says to open alsamixer and adjust as necessary, you STILL may not be able to do so (the system may still not be able to find your sound card). RE-BOOT, and you should be able to open alsamixer.

BTW: I am NOT an expert in Linux, and don't know all the answers. I found this solution more by accident born of desperation than anything else, and it has taken me a number of months to find. If you have tried other solutions and have been unsuccessful, try this.

Craig
    (Tyche)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Appreciate the honesty with all that. Will work on that tomorrow (after a little sleep).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

in my /etc/modules do I put?

snd-cs4232 index=0 port=0x530 cport=0x538 isapnp=0 dma1=1 dma2=0 irq=5

because the sound card than works

Beans
    Distro

snddevices or devfs??

looking at http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc...=emu10k1#intro

and it says this:
    Code:

NB. If you are using drivers before 0.9.4 then you need to run      ./snddevices
     If you use devfs then you should not run the snddevices script   The snddevices script sets the permissions for the devices it creates to root. You should 
        chmod a+rw /dev/dsp /dev/mixer /dev/sequencer /dev/midi
    forgive the noob question, but how do I find out which one I have/ need for my card?
    Last edited by pneaveill; August 15th, 2006 at 08:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Talking Re: snddevices or devfs??

pneaveill,

When I compiled and installed the Alsa drivers, I found that none of the 4 devices had been set up. So, I took the gamble and ran ./snddevices, then changed the permissions as it suggested (actually, copy and paste). That's when I rebooted and it worked.

Craig
    (Tyche)

Quote Originally Posted by pneaveill View Post
    looking at http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc...=emu10k1#intro

and it says this:
    Code:

NB. If you are using drivers before 0.9.4 then you need to run      ./snddevices
     If you use devfs then you should not run the snddevices script   The snddevices script sets the permissions for the devices it creates to root. You should 
        chmod a+rw /dev/dsp /dev/mixer /dev/sequencer /dev/midi
    forgive the noob question, but how do I find out which one I have/ need for my card?

Beans
    Distro

Re: snddevices or devfs??

Been working on this for about 4 days now and still not getting it. Guess I am too much of a noob.

Code:
        In a shell type these commands:  Make a directory to store the alsa source code in.

cd /usr/src
            mkdir alsa
            cd alsa
            cp /downloads/alsa-* .
    Now unzip and install the alsa-driver package 
            bunzip2 alsa-driver-xxx
            tar -xf alsa-driver-xxx
            cd alsa-driver-xxx
            ./configure --with-cards=emu10k1 --with-sequencer=yes;make;make install
    NB. If you are using drivers before 0.9.4 then you need to run  	./snddevices

Guess i am having two issues with this.
    (1) Maybe just a newbie thing. the cp /downloads thing -- what is that exactly? I have searched manually for it and it is not there. What am I missing?
    (2) The TARball is unpacked and sitting on the drive. I just don't know what to do with it from here.

Please help

Beans
    Distro

Been working on this for about 4 days now and still not getting it. Guess I am too much of a noob. Maybe this will help:
    Code:
    modinfo soundcore
    filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.15-26-386/kernel/sound/soundcore.ko
    description:    Core sound module
    Code:
        In a shell type these commands:  Make a directory to store the alsa source code in.

cd /usr/src
            mkdir alsa
            cd alsa
            cp /downloads/alsa-* .
            bunzip2 alsa-driver-xxx
            tar -xf alsa-driver-xxx
            cd alsa-driver-xxx

(1) Maybe just a newbie thing. the cp /downloads thing -- what is that exactly? I have searched manually for it and it is not there. What am I missing?
    (2) The TARball is unpacked and sitting on the drive. I just don't know what to do with it from here.

Please help

Beans
    Distro

Been working on this for about 4 days now and still not getting it. Guess I am too much of a noob. Maybe this will help:
    Code:
    modinfo soundcore
    filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.15-26-386/kernel/sound/soundcore.ko
    description:    Core sound module
    Code:

cd /usr/src
            mkdir alsa
            cd alsa
            cp /downloads/alsa-* .
            bunzip2 alsa-driver-xxx
            tar -xf alsa-driver-xxx
            cd alsa-driver-xxx

Please help

Beans

Well, my box finally had the relapse (refer to my previous posts on this thread). Apparently adding snd-intel8x0 to /etc/modules didn't help. Of course, now I'm thinking, maybe it's not even installed??? I did
    Code:
    sudo modprobe snd-intel8x0
    and there was nothing returned. I searched synaptic for the module name and didn't find anything. What next? Thanks!
    IBM T42

Page 20 of 206 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast