Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Making your windows look super sweet in Hoary (compositing)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Making your windows look super sweet in Hoary (compositing)

I had that problem too. If you did the AllowGLXWithCompositing thing, then all I can suggest is that you disable xscreensaver or pick one that doesn't use OpenGL. I had many problems with XScreensaver and OGL, and the best thing I could think of was just setting it to be a blank screen.

I should probably put a note somewhere, reminding people that this is still very very early in development and probably won't work very well

Beans

Man! That's about a million times cooler than I thought it would be. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Dromio
    I've been using this for about a week and it looks beautiful. However, I've found that I cannot log out while xcompmgr is running (if I have it run as part of my session). I have to manually kill it before logging out.

Does anyone have a way to automatically kill the process on logout?
    Just press enter after you clicked logout, the dialog is just hidden, but it is focused

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mayco
    Just press enter after you clicked logout, the dialog is just hidden, but it is focused

Eeeew that is annoying I turned off the default xcompmgr -c because of this.

The fade stuff was cool but made my box seem slow as heck and the simple option just kind of looked fugly.

Anyone got any idea how long before this handles logout dialog boxes? Or performs the cool tricks without a huge drag on the ui?

I am running this on a fairly slick laptop with like 512MB. Frankly, gnome running with that much memory is as faster if not faster than XP on the same box. I am getting too used to the good performance to give it up.

Btw, looking forward to the memory optimizations in gnome 2.12. Gnome seems very memory dependant in relation to its performance/speed feel.

Beans

Red face Re: HOWTO: Making your windows look super sweet in Hoary (compositing)

Thank you for this howto
    I'm using only shadows with my laptop with ati mobility 7500 and they work great and they are great.

Fade in/fade out seems to use a lot of cpu power (I can see cpu scaling up while fade in and fade out of gnome menus) so I disabled them.
    Thinkpad R40
    2722-BDG

Beans

how do you set it to 0

Beans

If it's laggy, guys, it's probably a misconfiguration with your video card. I'm running on a celeron 667 with no lag at all. Make sure acceleration is on, and like I said, it might not work well with ATI cards.

Beans

after i installed it it worked and all. however my glxgears performance took a 300fps hit. i really don't want that kind of overhead when i play a game. it was pretty cool though.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exclamation Re: HOWTO: Making your windows look super sweet in Hoary (compositing)

So I've run into a small hitch trying to get this to work. I'm on a clean install of Hoary, and I installed the nVidia 7167 driver according to the instructions in this HowTo.

I made sure that I followed the instructions to the letter. (I used -cfF for shadows and fading.) When I restarded X, the Gnome splash screen came up and had a lovely shadow. The background turned grey (from the usual brown) and the splash started to fade away. Before it finished fading it just stopped. My mouse cursor would still move, but nothing else would respond.

I couldn't kill X with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, and I couldn't switch to a virtual terminal with Ctrl+Alt+F1. I had to do a hard reset and decided to try it one more time. This time the splash faded away completely, but it then locked up the same as before.

That's the only user account I have, so I can't log into Gnome at all. Any ideas?

XP 2500+
    nVidia GF4 Ti4600
    nVidia driver version 7167
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04 / Gnome 2.10 - still all default settings except for the new kernal for the glx driver (2.6.10)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by digby
    So I've run into a small hitch trying to get this to work. I'm on a clean install of Hoary, and I installed the nVidia 7167 driver according to the instructions in this HowTo.

I made sure that I followed the instructions to the letter. (I used -cfF for shadows and fading.) When I restarded X, the Gnome splash screen came up and had a lovely shadow. The background turned grey (from the usual brown) and the splash started to fade away. Before it finished fading it just stopped. My mouse cursor would still move, but nothing else would respond.

I couldn't kill X with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, and I couldn't switch to a virtual terminal with Ctrl+Alt+F1. I had to do a hard reset and decided to try it one more time. This time the splash faded away completely, but it then locked up the same as before.

That's the only user account I have, so I can't log into Gnome at all. Any ideas?

XP 2500+
    nVidia GF4 Ti4600
    nVidia driver version 7167
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04 / Gnome 2.10 - still all default settings except for the new kernal for the glx driver (2.6.10)
    I ran across the same thing and the one thing that I found fixed it was going into Failsafe GNOME from the GUI Loader and doing a apt-get dist-upgrade after that it worked. However that was before I tried the instructions here but the same symptoms. I do have to say while it is cool. Until I can get my Nvidia card to work I am going to just wait. I had already tried it and worked like a charm however was slow on my onboard.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast