Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: All my favorite Linux desktop readiness threads...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: All my favorite Linux desktop readiness threads...

Johnsie, why don't you actually read all the threads I took the time to link to?

And if you don't want to read them, what makes you think others do? I'm not censoring anything. If anything, I'm doing the opposite--I'm drawing attention to things that are annoying. And, as others have pointed out, all the arguments (usually misinformed) get refuted and addressed many, many times in those threads.

Just because someone posts something doesn't mean it's a legitimate gripe or worthwhile. Anyone with internet access can post whatever she wants.

If people genuinely want to make change, they'll follow the directions in this thread instead of just whining. The only difference whining makes is the difference between not-annoyed fellow users and annoyed fellow users. I've never seen whining make Ubuntu better.
    Last edited by aysiu; August 21st, 2006 at 04:46 PM.

Beans

double post

Beans

maybe you get annoyed too easily hehe :-p

Don't sweat the small stuff, life's too short to worry about such things

I'm actually quite fascinated by some of the things that have been said in those threads. I'm glad there is little or no unnecessary cenorship and I'm glad that the moderators of the job do a really good job at preventing flaming.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread as I've had my say and that's all i wanted to do
    Last edited by Johnsie; August 21st, 2006 at 05:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Great list!! Thanks aysiu!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

aysiu I know you meant well with making this thread and all.

HOWEVER....I must inform you that you owe me a new mouse, I wore mine out clicking on all the threads and links you provided, and subsequent links therein....

I expect a new optical one, just like the one I "HAD" prior to finding your posting here, to arrive at my house no later than 10 days from me posting this.

Thank you sir and have a good day.

Oh....and thanks for creating this thread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

PapaWiskas, I realize you're half-joking, but you may find the Tab Mix Plus extension in Firefox handy for saving you some clicks (see attached screenshot for details).

Glad you find the list useful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thans for this thread Aysiu. I admit I didn't read all the threads because, like everybody else, I'm sick of them and reading the same things over and over and over...but maybe threatening people with a list will make them stop . This thread should be at the top of the forum page in one of those little green "important message" banners so you see it before anything else hehe. While you're at it, can you please create a "My favorite can't get wireless working" thread and make a list of all the offenders? j/k...I know wireless is a pain but it's still annoying seeing all the same threads over and over (when people don't utilize search). Anyway you're at the top of my sig now...right above the other link about searching first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

aysiu, I always enjoy reading your threads/posts you always have some wise words to say.

Most people seem to get really heated in these threads, but does make a intresting read seeing them all together

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dinerty View Post
    aysiu, I always enjoy reading your threads/posts you always have some wise words to say.

Most people seem to get really heated in these threads, but does make a intresting read seeing them all together
    Just trying to give a little perspective. Glad you found it worth taking a peek at.

Anonii is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Recently, Stormy Eyes started a thread about being tired of the "if only Linux had X feature or killer app, then there'd be a mass migration" threads

I, too, am getting tired. You'll often hear tired old forum members like Stormy and me complaining that arguments about Linux desktop marketshare, desktop readiness, desktop migration, etc. have taken place thousands of times. Well, it may not number into the thousands yet, but it has happened a lot. Here are some threads you might want to read if you don't believe me.

Some threads started out innocently and got hijacked by argumentative individuals. Others were clearly flamebait from the first post. Next time I see one of these threads, I'll post a link to this thread (the one you're reading) and then add it to my list.

MANY emo threads
    Possibly misunderstood this thread, but whats the point? Are you just collecting all the whiney, emo, "going back to windows" threads, or you hope that dissapointed from Ubuntu/Linux people will run to this thread to check the position of others in their subject? I really dont understand... Just because you and the other "old members" are bored of these threads , they must get archived and stopped? I mean... Lets just archive every "How do I install the <insert_name> application" and every other newbie or multi-asked subject just because some people are bored of these :/
    I really think this is pointless. It seems to me more like of a flamewar attempt and not something that would actually help the forum.

(Finally, even for the short item I'm lurking in this forum, I completely recognise your efforts to help the Linux/Ubuntu community, but this is kinda... well.. non-sense?)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast