Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: WUSB54GS v1 (only?) on (X)(K?)Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Post HOWTO: WUSB54GS v1 and v2

Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid) Deprecates This HOWTO!
    That's right! This HOWTO is officially deprecated as of Ubuntu Intrepid. ndiswrapper is no longer needed. As soon as you plug in the WUSB54GS while running Ubuntu Intrepid, it should immediately function!

No Longer Maintained!
    I can no longer maintain this HOWTO, as the WUSB54GS adapter I used kicked the bucket. It was slowly dying over time, and I'm pretty sure it's due to the faulty laptop I was using it on (which has also killed a hard-drive).

The HOWTO will remain here. If someone wants to take over, PM me and I'll send you the source to this HOWTO. I'll also link to your HOWTO thread when you've recreated it.

If anyone wants to notify me of additional steps that have to be completed or no longer need to be included for future versions of Ubuntu, I'll write those in.

Some Random Notes You Should Read
    Don't go looking through this thread's posts unless you really want to. I've compiled all good suggestions, troubleshooting, error fixing, etc, into this HOWTO for your convenience. If you have any problems partway through, the best idea is to quickly look at the "Troubleshooting" section at the bottom of the HOWTO, and then post your question, along with /var/log/syslog output.

For ease-of-use, I've attached a compressed file that contains everything you need for this HOW-TO, which includes drivers.

First things First - Some Requirements/Recommendations
    • This HOWTO has been confirmed to run on Ubuntu Dapper, Edgy, Feisty, and Gutsy. It should continue to function as long as ndiswrapper is supported in Ubuntu (i.e. forever).
    • In fact, this should work in just about any Linux OS, but no guarantees beyond Ubuntu! Steps like step 1 may require a little research to figure out on other distributions.
    • Remove any remains of any past versions of ndiswrapper. If you've really mashed your system trying to get this to work, a complete reinstall is highly recommended, since ndiswrapper's pieces and configurations are probably scattered throughout your system. If you installed using apt-get, then run "apt-get remove ndiswrapper-utils". If you compiled ndiswrapper, and installed it, then open a terminal, go into the directory where you ran "make" in the first place, and run "sudo make uninstall". If you used Synaptic Package Manager, find ndiswrapper-utils in Synaptic, right click it, and click on "Mark for COMPLETE Removal". Basically, use the reverse of the method you used to install ndiswrapper in the first place.
    • This tutorial will only work with WUSB54GS v1, v2. (WUSB54GS v2.1 may or may not require different instructions, which can be found here. I've heard it works when this HOWTO doesn't.) If you get any other versions to work, then please let me know, along with any unique steps. However, keep in mind that the WUSB54GS is the only device I will support, since it is the only one I have.
    • This tutorial doesn't support 64-bit processors. Not sure why, but the drivers don't seem to work, even the 64-bit ones.
    • It's a good idea not to plug in the device 'till I say to do so in the tutorial.
    • You do not have to know how to use a terminal, though knowledge beforehand might help. I guide you through step-by-step, so you shouldn't feel lost.
    • This HOWTO requires some sort of internet access. The computer you're installing the WUSB54GS device at doesn't need internet, but you need internet somewhere to initially download some things.
    • If you really really need help, and just can't get this to work, contact one of my IM accounts listed in my profile. I am usually on weekends, Eastern Time, usually, though I cannot guarantee that.

Step 1 - Install the essentials
    If you've never used "make" or compiled something, then you probably don't have the necessary tools to get through this HOWTO. Thankfully, you can easily install them. Run the following command to be sure everything is ready.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install cpp gcc build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    If you are not online, apt-get will ask for the disk. Insert your install CD into the drive and hit the ENTER key.

Step 2 - Downloading necessary packages
    First, get ndiswrapper from SourceForge. (Be sure to hit the Download button next to stable, not testing).

Next, download the drivers. I've included them in the attachment (at the bottom) for convenience, and it's best if you get them there. Whatever you do, do not download the drivers from the Linksys CD or anywhere else besides Linksys.com or the attachment I've provided. Many problems are a result of corrupted or invalid drivers, even from the manufacturer CD itself.

Advanced users: If you decide you want to use your own set of drivers instead of the ones provided in the attachment, make sure you get the following files. You'll find the .sys files in a Windows XP 32-bit install. (Do not use Vista!)
    • rndismp.sys
    • usb8023.sys
    • WUSB54GS.inf

If you are using a WUSB54GSv2 device, you'll want to use "wusb54gsv2.inf" instead of "WUSB54GS.inf".

Once you've collected these necessities, get them on the computer you want to install on. This is all the downloading you'll have to do from here on.

Step 3 - Build ndiswrapper
    Right click on the ndiswrapper archive and click "Extract Here". You'll see a folder appear.

(click here to see what the new folder looks like.)

Now, get out a paper and pen, or open a text editor. You'll need to write down where exactly this folder is. Right-click the folder that appeared and click Properties. A new window appears. Note the location and the name of the folder.

Once you've got all this, you can open a terminal. Now, the point of the above was to help you construct the next command. This heavily depends on where ndiswrapper is, so follow closely. The command we're after is this:
    Code:
    cd <Location>/<Name>
    As shown in the screenshot, Location is "/home/jacob/Desktop" and the name is "ndiswrapper-1.52". Thus, the command would look like this for me:
    Code:
    cd /home/jacob/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.52
    So, once you've got that figured out, hit the ENTER key. You'll see the terminal switch to the new folder.

Now that we're where we need to be, run the following command, which will remove any installed ndiswrapper modules:

Code:
    sudo make uninstall
    Keep running this until you no longer see any more "removing" messages. Note in the screenshot provided the two highlighted areas. Notice how the first time I ran it, it removed something. I ran it again, and this time there were no more "removing" messages. This means I can move on.

Troubleshooting: Some have reported that sudo make uninstall reports an error about a directory that was unable to be deleted. If the directory is "/lib/modules/<numbers>/kernel/drivers/net/ndiswrapper", then run this command:
    Code:
    sudo rm -fR /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/ndiswrapper

Next, run these two commands to compile and then install the new ndiswrapper:
    Code:
    make
    sudo make install
    To complete the task, and to tell the kernel to always load ndiswrapper at startup, run the following command:

Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -m
    Step 4 - Getting the drivers
    This will be easy. You should've already gotten the attachment. If you're an advanced user and you are blazing your own trail by getting three files I mentioned previously through other sources, you can skip this whole step.

So, just like before, right-click the attachment and click "Extract Here". A folder should appear yet again. And, just like before, I want you to get the Location and name of this folder by right-clicking the new folder and clicking "Properties".

Use the same command as before to move to wherever the folder is residing at present:
    Code:
    cd <Location>/<Name>
    For me my Location and name, as seen in the screenshot, is written out as follows:
    Code:
    cd /home/jacob/Desktop/ndiswrapper-files
    If you have a WUSB54GS device, run this:
    Code:
    cd v1
    If you have a WUSB54GSv2 device, run this:
    Code:
    cd v2
    Step 5 - Installing drivers

Now, if you have a WUSB54GS device, run this:
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -i WUSB54GS.inf
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -i WUSB54GSv2.inf
    Now run this command:

Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    My guess is that you'll come back to this tutorial wondering what went wrong, right? Ndiswrapper reports "invalid driver", right? Well, if I'm wrong, skip the rest of this step.

The last command says that the drivers are invalid. That's because it didn't install the sys files! We need to do this manually. Run these commands in the same terminal:

If you have a WUSB54GS device, run this:
    Code:
    sudo cp usb8023.sys rndismp.sys /etc/ndiswrapper/wusb54gs/
    Code:
    sudo cp usb8023.sys rndismp.sys /etc/ndiswrapper/wusb54gsv2/
    Now run this command:

Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    It should work. I've provided the screenshot of the results of this step.

Step 6 - Connecting up the device
    Alright. Now you get to actually enjoy all this work. Run this command:

Code:
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    If you get a "FATAL" error that says "/lib/<kernel>/misc/ndiswrapper.ko: invalid argument" then that means that you haven't gotten any drivers installed yet.

Plug in your device. The Power light will come on, and, after at most 3 seconds, the Link light will blink slowly. If the Link light does blink slowly, sucess!

Now run this command:

Code:
    cat /var/log/syslog
    If the end of the output looks something like this:
    Code:
    usb 4-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
    usb 4-2: no configuration chosen from 1 choice
    ndiswrapper version 1.32 loaded (preempt=no,smp=yes)
    usb 4-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
    ndiswrapper: driver wusb54gsv2 (Linksys,01/25/2005, 4.01.20.0) loaded
    wlan0: ethernet device 00:18:39:03:99:5a using NDIS driver: wusb54gsv2, version: 0x4011405, NDIS version: 0x501, vendor: 'Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter with SpeedBooster', 13B1:0014.F.conf
    wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK; AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK
    usbcore: registered new driver ndiswrapper
    ndiswrapper: changing interface name from 'wlan0' to 'wlan1'
    BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000
     printing eip:
    c6f1e488
    *pde = 00000000
    Oops: 0002 [#1]
    SMP
    Modules linked in: ndiswrapper radeon drm fuse via_rhine mii snd_seq_dummy snd_seq_oss snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq af_packet snd_pcm_oss snd_mixer_oss video snd_via82xx thermal gameport sbs snd_ac97_codec snd_ac97_bus i2c_ec snd_pcm snd_timer snd_page_alloc snd_mpu401_uart snd_rawmidi snd_seq_device fan snd soundcore container button battery ac ide_cd binfmt_misc loop nls_iso8859_1 nls_cp850 vfat fat dm_mod yenta_socket rsrc_nonstatic pcmcia pcmcia_core cpufreq_ondemand cpufreq_conservative cpufreq_powersave freq_table processor via_agp agpgart usbmouse evdev ohci1394 ieee1394 usbhid bttv video_buf firmware_class ir_common compat_ioctl32 i2c_algo_bit btcx_risc tveeprom i2c_core usbkbd videodev v4l1_compat v4l2_common floppy usb_storage ehci_hcd uhci_hcd usbcore sata_vsc sata_via sata_svw sata_sil sata_promise sata_nv sx8 sata_uli sata_sx4 sata_sis sata_qstor ahci BusLogic aic7xxx scsi_transport_spi sg sr_mod cdrom ata_piix sd_mod libata scsi_mod ext3 jbd
    CPU:    0
    EIP:    0060:[<c6f1e488>]    Tainted: P      VLI
    EFLAGS: 00010246   (2.6.18.6.dev3.lgc #1)
    EIP is at 0xc6f1e488
    eax: 00000000   ebx: c71992c0   ecx: cebf6500   edx: c71996c0
    esi: ce497800   edi: c89b97a0   ebp: c7db9df8   esp: c7db9de8
    ds: 007b   es: 007b   ss: 0068
    Process sh (pid: 3343, ti=c7db8000 task=cfd81250 task.ti=c7db8000)
    Stack: d0837e28 c6f1e200 00000001 c89b95a0 d0837e0a d0d5828b ce497800 00000002
           00000000 00000000 00000002 00000000 00000297 d0d4e5c7 c89b9b80 00000000
           d0d5303d c89b9b80 00000000 c7db9e6c c89b97a0 d0d53147 c89b97a0 0000001b
    Call Trace:
     [<d0d5828b>] NdisDispatchPnp+0x18b/0x7d0 [ndiswrapper]
     [<d0d4e5c7>] get_current_nt_thread+0xa7/0xd0 [ndiswrapper]
     [<d0d5303d>] IoQueueThreadIrp+0xd/0xe0 [ndiswrapper]
     [<d0d53147>] IoBuildSynchronousFsdRequest+0x37/0x40 [ndiswrapper]
     [<d0d5236d>] IofCallDriver+0x2d/0x50 [ndiswrapper]
     [<d0d54853>] IoSendIrpTopDev+0x73/0xb0 [ndiswrapper]
     [<d0d548c6>] pnp_remove_device+0x36/0x130 [ndiswrapper]
     [<d0e76ef4>] usb_unbind_interface+0x34/0x70 [usbcore]
     [<b0249460>] __device_release_driver+0x50/0x80
     [<b0249697>] device_release_driver+0x17/0x30
     [<b0248da9>] bus_remove_device+0x89/0xa0
     [<b0247bc1>] device_del+0xf1/0x130
     [<d0e753f8>] usb_disable_device+0x88/0xf0 [usbcore]
     [<d0e75d60>] usb_set_configuration+0xb0/0x470 [usbcore]
     [<d0e78c33>] set_bConfigurationValue+0x43/0x58 [usbcore]
     [<d0e78bf0>] set_bConfigurationValue+0x0/0x58 [usbcore]
     [<b024771a>] dev_attr_store+0x1a/0x20
     [<b01a7b8c>] sysfs_write_file+0x7c/0xd0
     [<b016b2b0>] vfs_write+0xa0/0x170
     [<b01a7b10>] sysfs_write_file+0x0/0xd0
     [<b016b96c>] sys_write+0x3c/0x70
     [<b0102fbd>] sysenter_past_esp+0x56/0x79
    Code: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 <30> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    EIP: [<c6f1e488>] 0xc6f1e488 SS:ESP 0068:c7db9de8
    ...then you have an old version of ndiswrapper, most likely from the online official repositories or from the CD. Basically the USB module of the kernel just crashed. If you attempt to restart, it will freeze at "Stopping Bluetooth services...". The new version (v1.21 and higher, not 1.8!) fixes this freeze.

If everything looks normal, you are good to go! Last but not least, check dmesg to be sure there aren't any errors.

Getting WUSB54GS to Work in Ubuntu 7.04 and higher
    I've got some bad news and good news. You are going to have to configure your system to work with the WUSB54GS. The good news is that once this configuring is done, you'll never have to worry about it again (until you reinstall or upgrade).

The basics of the problem is that Ubuntu 7.04 and higher has a new "feature" that limits the power that goes to USB devices. This is all well and good to protect USB devices, except when a device wants more power then the kernel likes. The WUSB54GS is one of those devices.

This feature can be turned off. Here's how.

Open up a terminal, and punch in the following:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/99-custom.rules
    A new blank file opens up. Copy and paste the following text. Keep the text as one line - do not let it wrap over to the next line.
    WUSB54GS v1:
    Code:
    BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="000e", SYSFS{idVendor}=="13b1", RUN+="/bin/sh -c 'echo 1 > /sys/$devpath/device/bConfigurationValue'"
    WUSB54GS v2:
    Code:
    BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0014", SYSFS{idVendor}=="13b1", RUN+="/bin/sh -c 'echo 1 > /sys/$devpath/device/bConfigurationValue'"
    Save and close it out. Unplug and plug your device, and it should work.

What did we just do? Well, the system that tracks for new devices is called udev. This system has a set of rules under /etc/udev/rules.d/. What we did was add a rule that said "If this device's product is 000e, and the idVendor is 13b1, run this command". The command forces Linux to use configuration choice #1 (which so happens to be ndiswrapper) for this device. The variable $devpath marks where the device's folder is. It took me months to figure this whole thing out, but it was worth every bit of it.

Troubleshooting - Read this even if you don't have issues
    • Upgrading Your Kernel
      Take notes, 'cause if you upgrade your kernel, you will find that your internet will no longer work. This is because you compiled ndiswrapper into the old kernel, and the new one doesn't have ndiswrapper. Here's the catch - you must also install the headers for that new kernel as well. Without internet access, how are you to do this?

First, reboot into the original kernel (if you have rebooted after updating), by pushing "ESC" on your keyboard when you see GRUB appear after you reboot. Select the older kernel version farther down the list (basically, anything Ubuntu but the recovery options), and then install the new kernel headers. (To install new kernel headers, type in "sudo apt-get install linux-headers-" and then whatever "uname -m" says, minus any "i"s that appear at the beginning. Example: "linux-headers-386") You should then be able to reboot back, and compile ndiswrapper into the new kernel (step 2). The drivers are already installed, but it is just a matter of getting ndiswrapper back into the kernel. If you are utterly confused, you can e-mail me, PM me, or use any other contact given in my profile for help.
    • Compiling NDisWrapper with gcc-4.1 or higher
      If you ran "sudo modprobe ndiswrapper" and it says ndiswrapper is an invalid module, and gcc -v says "gcc 4.1", then you need to go back to gcc 4.0. You cannot use gcc-4.1 or higher for some ndiswrapper versions, though newer versions should be fine. When you compile NDisWrapper, and then try to run "sudo modprobe ndiswrapper" with gcc-4.1, it'll say that ndiswrapper is an invalid module. Run "sudo apt-get install gcc-4.0". If it says you already have gcc-4.0 installed, run these commands:
      Code:
      (---FORCING USE OF GCC-4.0---)
      cd /usr/bin
      sudo rm gcc gccbug
      sudo ln -s gcc-4.0 gcc
      sudo ln -s gccbug-4.0 gccbug

(---COMPILE NDISWRAPPER AT STEP 2---)

(---UNDOING ABOVE CHANGES TO REVERT BACK TO GCC-4.1---)
      cd /usr/bin
      sudo rm gcc gccbug
      sudo ln -s gcc-4.1 gcc
      sudo ln -s gccbug-4.1 gccbug
      This feels funky, but it's alright as long as you do the undo bit when you're done and "gcc -v" says "gcc 4.1" again.
    • Compiling NDisWrapper - "Can't find kernel build files in xxx"
      Simply put, ndiswrapper can't find your linux-kernel stuff. Be extra sure you installed this at step 1. If you have installed it, and you know where the kernel headers are, then run this "make" command instead of the one listed at Step 2:

Code:
      make KBUILD=[INSERT KERNEL PATH HERE]
    • WUSB54GSC device not working?
      User kolyma says he has a method that works! See his post here for more info:
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=184

What To Do If Your Computer Freezes Up
    If something went wrong, and your system is now frozen, restart using the following key combinations, waiting 3 seconds in between each one (the italicized letter helps you remember it):

Code:
    Ctrl+Alt+SysRq+R (aising)
    Ctrl+Alt+SysRq+S (skinny)
    Ctrl+Alt+SysRq+E (lephants)
    Ctrl+Alt+SysRq+I (s)
    Ctrl+Alt+SysRq+U (tterly)
    Ctrl+Alt+SysRq+B (oring)
    (This safely reboots your computer, saving everything to disk before shutting down. You can use this almost any time your computer freezes, as long as your computer didn't freeze completely.)

Unplug your device, and then turn on your computer. Grab /var/log/syslog and /etc/udev/rules.d/99-custom.rules, and make a post on this thread so we can help you out.

(OPTIONAL) Setting up NetworkManager
    Alright, so you have this new nifty wireless device, and you've probably already connected to your network. If you have a laptop, as soon as you move around to other networks you'll instantly wish that you had some way to replicate Windows' ability to save passwords, and connect to the nearest one.

Well, there's an answer to this problem. The answer's called NetworkManager. It essentially does everything it can to keep the internet up and going for you. It also makes sure there's only one internet connection going at a time, so if you plug in ethernet, wireless is dropped, and if ethernet is unplugged, it goes for wireless or other sources.

Enough chat, let's get down to business. First we have to get the system ready for NetworkManager. Make a backup copy of /etc/network/interfaces file, and remove every interface except for lo. That's right. Remove every interface except for lo. NetworkManager (or the Ubuntu version, anyway) won't manage your network unless you remove it completely from the interfaces file.

Next, install NetworkManager, like so:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome
    It's alright if it is already installed, because newer versions already have it running.

Open up /etc/modules, like so:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modules
    ...and punch in "ndiswrapper" at the end of that file. Save and close that file.

Restart your computer. When you log back in, you should see a fella in your task bar that looks like a computer or signal bars. You can left click to bring up all the wireless networks around you, and right click to view information about your current connection and set a few settings.

I've provided a screenshot below (I blanked the network names out for privacy):

Credits and Revisions
    I accept all feedback on this tutorial, so speak out!!!

October 30, 2008 - As of Ubuntu Intrepid, this HOWTO is deprecated.
    August 10, 2008 - Added note about WUSB54GS v2.1 in the First things First section
    April 30, 2008 - Clarified Step 2, specifically the bits for advanced users
    April 30, 2008 - Fixed a typo (where it said /home/jacob/Desktop/drivers instead of /home/jacob/Desktop/ndiswrapper-files)
    April 12, 2008 - Complete overhaul with screenshots
    October 21, 2007 - Thanks to interconnect Added Gutsy to supported Ubuntu versions.
    June 24, 2007 - Minor edit
    June 18, 2007 - Changed kernel crash check to be more accurate, since more people seem to be getting kernel crash issues in different ways, but they are all because of the same thing.
    June 18, 2007 - Thanks to kolyma WUSB54GSC added in "First things First" and "Troubleshooting"
    June 7, 2007 - Changed some dead links. Gotta love dead links.
    April 1, 2007 - Added information about latest ndiswrapper version under the section "Building Ndiswrapper".
    December 14, 2006 - Feisty support added, and "this HOWTO doesn't follow regulations" note added at top.
    December 11, 2006 - Thanks to Jay-Jay Added the editing of /etc/modules to installation of NetworkManager, and then also changed the Troubleshooting sections that have to do with NetworkManager.
    December 9, 2006 - Changed the structure of this HOWTO a bit to make it cleaner.
    December 9, 2006 - Thanks to Jay-Jay Some new Troubleshooting items - "On Edgy, device won't work, but ndiswrapper -l says it's there" and "NetworkManager isn't working".
    December 9, 2006 - Thanks to Jay-Jay WUSB54GS v2 has a different udev line in Edgy support then does WUSB54GS v1.
    December 9, 2006 - Thanks to jcda Fixed a typo in the udev entry line in the Edgy support.
    November 25, 2006 - Added "Setting up NetworkManager" section.
    November 25, 2006 - One typo thanks to mrfoobar Fixed some typos, removed stale warnings that have been fixed.
    November 25, 2006 - Finally got around to making WUSB54GS stable on Edgy. The "Getting the WUSB54GS to Work in Edgy" section has been redone.
    November 5, 2006 - Updated attachment with new ndiswrapper.
    October 28, 2006 - Added shaky Edgy support. Works for now... needs work, though.
    October 21, 2006 - Thanks to chefjames Fixed a few typos - changed "`uname -r'" to "$(uname -r)", and added force option (-F) to the Troubleshoot note in the "Building NDisWrapper" section.
    October 9, 2006 - Thanks to colleps1 Added helpful information about how to install new kernel headers in "Upgrading Your Kernel" item under "Troubleshooting" section.
    October 9, 2006 - Thanks to colleps1 Fixed typo in "Compiling NDisWrapper with gcc-4.1 or higher" under the "Troubleshooting" section - said "Forcing use of gcc 4.1", when it shoud've been gcc 4.0
    October 3, 2006 - Thanks to markopolo12 Added "Compiling NDisWrapper - 'Can't find kernel build files in xxx'" resolution to the "Troubleshooting" section.
    October 3, 2006 - Thanks to Pitxoki Added warning about ndiswrapper v1.23 possibly not working.
    September 24, 2006 - Thanks to Pitxoki - Fixed a few typos.
    September 24, 2006 - Added "Compiling NDisWrapper with gcc-4.1 or higher" resolution to the Troubleshooting section.
    September 15, 2006 - Thanks to Pitxoki - Added the "sudo ndiswrapper -m" command at the end of Step 2.
    September 15, 2006 - Thanks to Pitxoki - Added the new "Troubleshooting" section, and added the first item: upgrading the kernel.
    September 13, 2006 - Thanks to Otto-C - Added details to "Remove ndiswrapper" bullet in the section "First Things First".
    September 3, 2006 - Thanks to darklord - Added a note to the "First things First" section, saying that this tutorial doesn't support 64-bit processors yet.
    August 26, 2006 - Changed "NOTE" in Step 2 to be more accurate, and less fuzzy.
    August 25, 2006 - Formatting typo
    August 17, 2006 - Changed Step 1 to be compatible with all machine types (amd64, powerpc, pentium, etc.)
    August 12, 2006 - Thanks to ChrisC098 - Some major revisions.
    August 2, 2006 - Thanks to Emmanuel_uk - Made instructions for users without a Windows XP installation. Completely depended on Emmanuel_uk for this, and did not test it - let me know if something is wrong.
    July 30, 2006 - Thanks to Emmanuel_uk - Made it easier for newbies by giving them less "copy the drivers" and more "do these commands".
    July 26, 2006 - Uploaded new attachment, and fixed large portions of the HOW-TO.
    July 26, 2006 - Added WUSB54GS v2 support to the tutorial, along with some minor spelling and wording fixes.

A big thanks to Pitxoki and Emmanuel_uk for the superior help!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by javaJake; October 30th, 2008 at 05:26 PM. Reason: As of Ubuntu Intrepid, this HOWTO is deprecated.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: WUSB54GS v1 (only?) on (X)(K?)Ubuntu

Hi there,

Thanks for the howto.

One thing to note;- you have only cover 32bit installation. I successful followed your instructions on Ubuntu LTS k8 smp kernel version but dmesg has output the following messages

[ 43.113970] powernow-k8: Found 2 AMD Athlon 64 / Opteron processors (version 1.50.4)
    [ 43.114039] powernow-k8: 0 : fid 0xc (2000 MHz), vid 0xa (1300 mV)
    [ 43.114044] powernow-k8: 1 : fid 0xa (1800 MHz), vid 0xc (1250 mV)
    [ 43.114047] powernow-k8: 2 : fid 0x2 (1000 MHz), vid 0x12 (1100 mV)
    [ 43.114051] cpu_init done, current fid 0xc, vid 0xa
    [ 44.204014] NET: Registered protocol family 10
    [ 44.204115] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
    [ 44.204454] IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
    [ 45.402834] ppdev: user-space parallel port driver
    [ 48.092828] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.8
    [ 48.092833] NET: Registered protocol family 31
    [ 48.092835] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
    [ 48.092846] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
    [ 48.112994] Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.8
    [ 48.112998] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
    [ 48.160979] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
    [ 48.160992] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
    [ 48.160994] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.7
    [ 52.543716] eth0: no IPv6 routers present
    [ 1047.229285] ndiswrapper version 1.21 loaded (preempt=yes,smp=yes)
    [ 1047.289080] usb 1-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
    [ 1047.362774] ndiswrapper (check_nt_hdr:149): kernel is 64-bit, but Windows dri ver is not 64-bit;bad magic: 010B
    [ 1047.362782] ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:215): couldn't prepare driver 'wusb54 gsv2'
    [ 1047.364341] ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:113): loadndiswrapper failed (65280 ); check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
    [ 1047.364348] ndiswrapper: probe of 1-2:1.0 failed with error -22
    [ 1047.423318] usb 1-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
    [ 1047.490548] ndiswrapper (check_nt_hdr:149): kernel is 64-bit, but Windows dri ver is not 64-bit;bad magic: 010B
    [ 1047.490557] ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:215): couldn't prepare driver 'wusb54 gsv2'
    [ 1047.490856] ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:113): loadndiswrapper failed (65280 ); check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
    [ 1047.490861] ndiswrapper: probe of 1-2:1.1 failed with error -22
    [ 1047.490870] usbcore: registered new driver ndiswrapper
    [ 1063.336545] usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 2
    [ 1067.231441] usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
    [ 1067.298351] usb 1-2: bad CDC descriptors
    [ 1067.356862] usb 1-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
    [ 1067.424495] ndiswrapper (check_nt_hdr:149): kernel is 64-bit, but Windows dri ver is not 64-bit;bad magic: 010B
    [ 1067.424504] ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:215): couldn't prepare driver 'wusb54 gsv2'
    [ 1067.424817] ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:113): loadndiswrapper failed (65280 ); check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
    [ 1067.424823] ndiswrapper: probe of 1-2:1.0 failed with error -22
    [ 1067.480702] usb 1-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
    [ 1067.548347] ndiswrapper (check_nt_hdr:149): kernel is 64-bit, but Windows dri ver is not 64-bit;bad magic: 010B
    [ 1067.548356] ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:215): couldn't prepare driver 'wusb54 gsv2'
    [ 1067.548680] ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:113): loadndiswrapper failed (65280 ); check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
    [ 1067.548687] ndiswrapper: probe of 1-2:1.1 failed with error -22
    [ 1073.155715] usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 5
    [ 1078.183132] usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
    [ 1078.248073] usb 1-1: bad CDC descriptors
    [ 1078.304560] usb 1-1: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
    [ 1078.372238] ndiswrapper (check_nt_hdr:149): kernel is 64-bit, but Windows dri ver is not 64-bit;bad magic: 010B
    [ 1078.372248] ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:215): couldn't prepare driver 'wusb54 gsv2'
    [ 1078.372561] ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:113): loadndiswrapper failed (65280 ); check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
    [ 1078.372568] ndiswrapper: probe of 1-1:1.0 failed with error -22
    [ 1078.428404] usb 1-1: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
    [ 1078.496103] ndiswrapper (check_nt_hdr:149): kernel is 64-bit, but Windows dri ver is not 64-bit;bad magic: 010B
    [ 1078.496112] ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:215): couldn't prepare driver 'wusb54 gsv2'
    [ 1078.496430] ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:113): loadndiswrapper failed (65280 ); check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
    [ 1078.496436] ndiswrapper: probe of 1-1:1.1 failed with error -22

so im guessing if i find a 64bit windows driver for ver2 and follow the same steps it will work?

If i have any succes i will let you know.

I suppose i could always use the standard 686 kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

You are absolutely correct. If you have a 64-bit processor, the drivers included in the attachment WILL NOT work. You'll need different drivers specially made for 64-bit processors.

Unfortunately I do not have access, nor know how to get access, to 64-bit drivers. The trick is that Windows already has some drivers installed, so Linksys doesn't distrobute those. However, for it to work in Linux, you need to manually copy those drivers over.

If you can gather the two 64-bit .sys files from a Windows 64-bit installation, or from a reliable source, please e-mail them to me, and I'll update the attachment accordingly.

Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by darklord View Post
    Hi there,

Thanks for the howto.

One thing to note;- you have only cover 32bit installation. I successful followed your instructions on Ubuntu LTS k8 smp kernel version but dmesg has output the following messages

[ 43.113970] powernow-k8: Found 2 AMD Athlon 64 / Opteron processors (version 1.50.4)
    [ 43.114039] powernow-k8: 0 : fid 0xc (2000 MHz), vid 0xa (1300 mV)
    [ 43.114044] powernow-k8: 1 : fid 0xa (1800 MHz), vid 0xc (1250 mV)
    [ 43.114047] powernow-k8: 2 : fid 0x2 (1000 MHz), vid 0x12 (1100 mV)
    [ 43.114051] cpu_init done, current fid 0xc, vid 0xa
    [ 44.204014] NET: Registered protocol family 10
    [ 44.204115] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
    [ 44.204454] IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
    [ 45.402834] ppdev: user-space parallel port driver
    [ 48.092828] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.8
    [ 48.092833] NET: Registered protocol family 31
    [ 48.092835] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
    [ 48.092846] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
    [ 48.112994] Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.8
    [ 48.112998] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
    [ 48.160979] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
    [ 48.160992] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
    [ 48.160994] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.7
    [ 52.543716] eth0: no IPv6 routers present
    [ 1047.229285] ndiswrapper version 1.21 loaded (preempt=yes,smp=yes)
    [ 1047.289080] usb 1-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
    [ 1047.362774] ndiswrapper (check_nt_hdr:149): kernel is 64-bit, but Windows dri ver is not 64-bit;bad magic: 010B
    [ 1047.362782] ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:215): couldn't prepare driver 'wusb54 gsv2'
    [ 1047.364341] ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:113): loadndiswrapper failed (65280 ); check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
    [ 1047.364348] ndiswrapper: probe of 1-2:1.0 failed with error -22
    [ 1047.423318] usb 1-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
    [ 1047.490548] ndiswrapper (check_nt_hdr:149): kernel is 64-bit, but Windows dri ver is not 64-bit;bad magic: 010B
    [ 1047.490557] ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:215): couldn't prepare driver 'wusb54 gsv2'
    [ 1047.490856] ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:113): loadndiswrapper failed (65280 ); check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
    [ 1047.490861] ndiswrapper: probe of 1-2:1.1 failed with error -22
    [ 1047.490870] usbcore: registered new driver ndiswrapper
    [ 1063.336545] usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 2
    [ 1067.231441] usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
    [ 1067.298351] usb 1-2: bad CDC descriptors
    [ 1067.356862] usb 1-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
    [ 1067.424495] ndiswrapper (check_nt_hdr:149): kernel is 64-bit, but Windows dri ver is not 64-bit;bad magic: 010B
    [ 1067.424504] ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:215): couldn't prepare driver 'wusb54 gsv2'
    [ 1067.424817] ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:113): loadndiswrapper failed (65280 ); check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
    [ 1067.424823] ndiswrapper: probe of 1-2:1.0 failed with error -22
    [ 1067.480702] usb 1-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
    [ 1067.548347] ndiswrapper (check_nt_hdr:149): kernel is 64-bit, but Windows dri ver is not 64-bit;bad magic: 010B
    [ 1067.548356] ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:215): couldn't prepare driver 'wusb54 gsv2'
    [ 1067.548680] ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:113): loadndiswrapper failed (65280 ); check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
    [ 1067.548687] ndiswrapper: probe of 1-2:1.1 failed with error -22
    [ 1073.155715] usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 5
    [ 1078.183132] usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
    [ 1078.248073] usb 1-1: bad CDC descriptors
    [ 1078.304560] usb 1-1: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
    [ 1078.372238] ndiswrapper (check_nt_hdr:149): kernel is 64-bit, but Windows dri ver is not 64-bit;bad magic: 010B
    [ 1078.372248] ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:215): couldn't prepare driver 'wusb54 gsv2'
    [ 1078.372561] ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:113): loadndiswrapper failed (65280 ); check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
    [ 1078.372568] ndiswrapper: probe of 1-1:1.0 failed with error -22
    [ 1078.428404] usb 1-1: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
    [ 1078.496103] ndiswrapper (check_nt_hdr:149): kernel is 64-bit, but Windows dri ver is not 64-bit;bad magic: 010B
    [ 1078.496112] ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:215): couldn't prepare driver 'wusb54 gsv2'
    [ 1078.496430] ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:113): loadndiswrapper failed (65280 ); check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
    [ 1078.496436] ndiswrapper: probe of 1-1:1.1 failed with error -22

so im guessing if i find a 64bit windows driver for ver2 and follow the same steps it will work?

If i have any succes i will let you know.

I suppose i could always use the standard 686 kernel.

Beans

hi Javajake

I found a link for the 64bit drivers (hopeful) i will test them. But before i test them how do i uninstall the 32bit driver.

[do i need to uninstall them or any other steps before installation of new driver]

planetAMD64 forum
    http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php...ic=19228&st=20

Direct link to modified driver for
    Belkin F5D7051
    Linksys WUSB54GS v2

modified for WUSB54GS ver 1 and 2 i believe.
    http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php...e=post&id=4290

With thanks!!!
    Last edited by darklord; September 3rd, 2006 at 03:32 PM.

Beans

im afraid, no luck with this set of drivers.

altered the downloaded driver so the amd64 section says
    code:

[LinksysDevices.NTamd64]

%LinksysDevice% = RNDIS.NT.5.1, USB\VID_13B1&PID_000E
    %LinksysDevice% = RNDIS.NT.5.1, USB\VID_13B1&PID_0014

device manager (ubuntu dm)
    usb.product_id int 20 (0x14)
    usb.vendor int 5041 (0x13b1)

ndiswrapper -l says the following:-
    wusb54gs driver installed

dmesg states the following:-

[ 319.437633] ndiswrapper version 1.21 loaded (preempt=yes,smp=yes)
    [ 319.443827] usbcore: registered new driver ndiswrapper
    [ 1021.844387] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 2
    [ 1025.487613] usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
    [ 1025.555786] usb 1-1: bad CDC descriptors

Question 1:- whats CDC

Question 2:- is an AMD64 bit driver, going to wrk on AMD64 x2 chip? (DUal Core)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Uninstalling drivers (which means manually removing - ndiswrapper doesn't keep track of them sys drivers) is a good idea, just to be safe.

hi Javajake

I found a link for the 64bit drivers (hopeful) i will test them. But before i test them how do i uninstall the 32bit driver.

[do i need to uninstall them or any other steps before installation of new driver]

planetAMD64 forum
    http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php...ic=19228&st=20

Direct link to modified driver for
    Belkin F5D7051
    Linksys WUSB54GS v2

modified for WUSB54GS ver 1 and 2 i believe.
    http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php...e=post&id=4290

With thanks!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

If the output from ndiswrapper was recorded AFTER inserting the device, then it is probably pointing to the wrong USB ID.

Try looking to see what ID the WUSB54GS driver is at, and set ndiswrapper to look for it there like this:

ndiswrapper -d XXXX:XXXX wusb54gs

If you want, tell me what lsusb says, and I'll fill in those X's for you.

More comments below...

im afraid, no luck with this set of drivers.

altered the downloaded driver so the amd64 section says
    code:

[LinksysDevices.NTamd64]

%LinksysDevice% = RNDIS.NT.5.1, USB\VID_13B1&PID_000E
    %LinksysDevice% = RNDIS.NT.5.1, USB\VID_13B1&PID_0014

device manager (ubuntu dm)
    usb.product_id int 20 (0x14)
    usb.vendor int 5041 (0x13b1)

ndiswrapper -l says the following:-
    wusb54gs driver installed
    Assuming NDiswrapper output was recorded after you plugged the device in, then ndiswrapper isn't pointing to the right USB ID.

dmesg states the following:-

[ 319.437633] ndiswrapper version 1.21 loaded (preempt=yes,smp=yes)
    [ 319.443827] usbcore: registered new driver ndiswrapper
    [ 1021.844387] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 2
    [ 1025.487613] usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
    [ 1025.555786] usb 1-1: bad CDC descriptors
    Dmesg says this clearly. It only registeres the device. It doesn't assign the device to any drivers. Just registers the fact it exists.

Question 1:- whats CDC
    I don't know. I get this error all the time, and it doesn't seem to affect anything. I wouldn't count on it for this issue.

Question 2:- is an AMD64 bit driver, going to wrk on AMD64 x2 chip? (DUal Core)
    Hmmmm... good Q.... I'll look into this. Let's try to move on without this, since the output so far doesn't point to this issue.
    Last edited by javaJake; September 3rd, 2006 at 10:15 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank you for all of the helpful information on ndiswrapper and driver installation. I made it almost all of the way through with no problem, but when I got to the step where you said that the power LED would blink slowly, it did not. According to dmesg the driver did not load correctly. It states:

usb 1-3: USB disconnect, address 3
    usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
    usb 1-3: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
    ndiswrapper (import:241): unknown symbol: NDIS.SYS:'NdisIMNotifyPnPEvent'
    ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:214): couldn't prepare driver 'wusb54gs'
    ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:113): loadndiswrapper failed (65280); check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
    ndiswrapper: probe of 1-3:1.0 failed with error -22
    ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:113): loadndiswrapper failed (65280); check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
    ndiswrapper: probe of 1-3:1.1 failed with error -22

Unfortunately, I have no Earthly idea what this means. ndiswrapper -l reports that the driver is installed, so I don't get it.

Thanks in advance!

Beans

Javajake,

I followed your suggestions,

ndiswrapper -d XXXX:XXXX wusb54gs.

In terminal

code:
    lsusb

which outputted the following;

code:
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0518:0002 EzKEY Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:c00c Logitech, Inc. Optical Wheel Mouse
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 005: ID 13b1:0014 Linksys
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

so if im corrected this are the values stored in wusb54gs as product id and vendor id.

anyway i tried your suggestion of

code:
    ndiswrapper -d 13b1:0014 wusb54gs

this spat out the following message.
    code:
    Driver 'wusb54gs' is used for '13B1:0014'

once the usb device is plugged in
    code:
    ndiswrapper -l

reports
    code:
    Installed drivers:
    wusb54gs driver installed, hardware present

this had no effect, ie. no lightrs on device and didn't report anything in dmesg,

please note this is not an offical driver for WIndows 64, as the appear to be none available.

SO I downloaded this driver from a forum where users have reported that they have got this driver to work under 64 bit window enviroment.

Any suggestion would be most appreciated as i would like to help you get a working 64 bit driver. (i dont have a windows 64 enviroment to test the driver natively myself)

cjbruner,

when ndiswrapper correctly loads the driver and the usb-nic is plugged n ndiswrapper will report the following

wusb54gs driver installed hardware present.

ndiswrapper -d XXXX:XXXX wusb54gs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by cjbrunner View Post
    Thank you for all of the helpful information on ndiswrapper and driver installation. I made it almost all of the way through with no problem, but when I got to the step where you said that the power LED would blink slowly, it did not. According to dmesg the driver did not load correctly. It states:

usb 1-3: USB disconnect, address 3
    usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
    ndiswrapper: probe of 1-3:1.0 failed with error -22
    ndiswrapper: probe of 1-3:1.1 failed with error -22

Unfortunately, I have no Earthly idea what this means. ndiswrapper -l reports that the driver is installed, so I don't get it.

Thanks in advance!
    Hmmm... the the trouble here is caused by this error:

Something happened as it tried to load the drivers to use with the card. Googling didn't produce any help... what OS are you using? What processor?

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast