Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Parental control. Now with GUI too!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

HOWTO: Parental control. Now with GUI too!

THIS THREAD IS OUTDATED, PLEASE SEE http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=843510 FOR THE CURRENT VERSION OF THE SOFTWARE

Here is a simple (but powerful) install script for a parental control feature
    It is based on tinyproxy + firehol + dansguardian and on an howto found on this forum (dunno remeber where)

Download the attached archive, extract it and run the script (2x click or from a terminal) (There are a couple of hidden files and folder too in the archive)

It will d/l, install and configure all you need + install a GUI created by me to configure everything (it is located under System --> Administration)

Please report any bugs.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by nanomad; March 29th, 2009 at 01:38 PM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Parental control. Now with GUI too!

Quote Originally Posted by nanomad View Post
    It is based on tinyproxy + firehol + dansguardian and on an howto found on this forum (dunno remeber where)

Download the attached archive, extract it and run the script (2x click or from a terminal) (There are a couple of hidden files and folder too in the archive)

It will d/l, install and configure all you need + install a GUI created by me to configure everything (it is located under System --> Administration)

Please report any bugs.

Thanks Nanomad, myself and a lot of other people have been waiting for this for awhile. Hats off to you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: HOWTO: Parental control. Now with GUI too!

I agree... keep up the good work... we need this if we want a family desktop computer.
    Like my avatar? Help us make more and your own! http://launchpad.net/memaker
    Book of Mormon-MP3 or BOOK
    "Microsoft is open-source friendly in the same way that a butcher is friendly to a cow." -- This Guy

Beans

Hi,

I tried the script and it appeared to run giving GUI feedback on the steps - asking for password, changing repositories, installing packages, changing configurations, installing gambas - unfortunately at the end nothing had changed, no packages had been installed.

I ran it a second time after manually adding the repositories needed and it installed tinyproxy, firehol, and dansguardian ok but not sure about gambas - not sure why gambas is needed? It then seemed to complete after changing configuration files. But still not functional

Oh, there was another problem for me didn't offer my language - English for DG.

It is a nice idea, but at the moment I think there may need to be some manual intervention to sort out the issues - on going back to apt-get (command line) it had not gracefully completed and was stuck on some questions. Had to run dpkg --configure -a to tidy up.

In the mean time the manual method is here:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=207008

Hope you can get the bugs ironed out.

--Tony

Beans

For me it installed and configured Dansguardian, Tinyproxy and Firehol. It had errors when trying to install Gambas, and I ended up without the GUI. It also did not have English as the language in Dansguardian, however I edited the /etc/dansguardian/dansguardian.conf file to "ukenglish" and now all is well. I have been testing it now for close to 48 hours and it seem to be working the way it should, I had to make some minor adjustments in the banned lists of Dansguardian because it was blocking sites with extensions that I use often. I had the exact same result on my laptop as with my desktop, and Dansguardian is doing its thing, I am highly pleased with the way its working, but would have love the GUI.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Can we see screenshots, please? Also, what's the name of this program/script? I assume you've named the script you created so that we can refer to it by name instead of "this guy's script."

Beans

I think it broke my computer, I have no internet connection.. what happened?! Where is the GUI supposed to be? I can't find it under Administration.

It's ok, I wanted to reformat anyways.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    Can we see screenshots, please? Also, what's the name of this program/script? I assume you've named the script you created so that we can refer to it by name instead of "this guy's script."
    Here are some screenshots
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	controlpanel.png 
Views:	1601 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	13804   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filterconf.png 
Views:	1666 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	13805  

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nanomad View Post
    Is it possible to set up some really primitive parental controls using, let's say, only iptables? Like some rule to block every destination but allow only some websites (or ips for that matter).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I've fixed the installer and created a uninstaller. You will find the new package as an attachment

Ps. now the GUI works, i hope
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast