Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SUSE Talk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

SUSE Talk

Hi,

I've been interested in this ubuntu project since I came into the linux world. However, SuSE provided easier control (YaST) and bunch of software on a single DVD (I'm on the dial-up, you know what I mean!)
    But Ubuntu 5.04 looks to me even more promising.
    Is there any SuSE guy here that is now a dedicated Ubuntu user? What are advantages/disadvantages for me to migrate from SuSE to Ubuntu? Is it faster? Is Synaptic application similar to YaST, etc...?

Thanks!

Beans

Re: SuSE user looking for help

you can order ubuntu cds for free if you want
    go to http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org , so you don't have to download it with 56k
    A freelancer | The GIMP Compilation

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Turin Turambar
    Hi,

Is there any SuSE guy here that is now a dedicated Ubuntu user? What are advantages/disadvantages for me to migrate from SuSE to Ubuntu? Is it faster? Is Synaptic application similar to YaST, etc...?

Thanks!
    I was a Suse user, I was running 9.1 Pro before I found Ubuntu. Yes Yast is a very nice tool, it's the best there is at the moment IMHO. But I find Suse rather bloated afert using Ubuntu, I like the 'look and feel' of Ubuntu. I'm far from a Linux 'power user' but have no problems configuring stuff, in fact I rather enjoy it.

Also, Ubuntu upgrades are free, in the UK it costs about £45 to upgrade from Suse 9.1 to 9.2 Pro. And that's a big selling point for Ubuntu for me.

Baza

Beans

Hi,

I've been interested in this ubuntu project since I came into the linux world. However, SuSE provided easier control (YaST) and bunch of software on a single DVD (I'm on the dial-up, you know what I mean!)

Thanks!
    The advantages (to me) are a nice community, lack of something like YAST (some things it does good, some things windows 95 could do better), more packages on the server (I think SUSE has around 8000 if you include packman and everything else, Ubuntu has 15000+), good hardware autodetection, a style I like more and Gnome over Kde.

Personally (although this opinion might not be popular here) if I was on dialup I'd probably use SUSE, if only because the packages are on a DVD and not on a server. Ubuntu is great, but I have to download over 100 megs in packages to get it how I want. On my broadband that no problem, but on dialup it would be a nightmare.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Get someone else to download and burn the dvd for you if you can

Beans

Thanks!
    Well, I was a SuSE *GIRL*, but I'm now a 100% dedicated Ubuntu user... and here are my notes:

YaST was slow, inefficient and inept compared to Synaptic. Synaptic is configurable, clean, and very capable of taking care of my system. I would compare Synaptic more to Ximian's Red Carpet (with fewer issues) than to YaST.

Advantages are that the packages are new, the support is great, Ubuntu supports Gnome while Kubuntu supports KDE - so you're not forced to use pieces of either unless you want to.

Disadvantages... yeah, I haven't found any yet. Oh wait, I guess in your case the disadvantage would be that if you don't like the software that Ubuntu installs, there aren't hundreds more on the disc... so yeah, that would be a disadvantage for anyone that's not on broadband.

All in all it's been a 110% improvement in my Linux Desktop experience...
    ??? :: ubuntu is my OS soul mate
    UDSF :: Forum Policies :: Unanswered Posts :: Ruby :: Donate
    official ubuntu member
    :: ??????? :: so say we all

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kassetra
    YaST was slow, inefficient and inept compared to Synaptic. Synaptic is configurable, clean, and very capable of taking care of my system. I would compare Synaptic more to Ximian's Red Carpet (with fewer issues) than to YaST.
    How can you compare YaST with Synaptic? Synaptic is only for packetmanagement, with YaST you can manage your whole system.

@ Turin Turambar

I used SuSE from 7.2 to 9.0. It was okay for me, but in retrospective it was really a slow bunch of ****. SuSE is a comfortable Distribution, where you can manage everything from one point (YaST2), that 's what I miss in Ubuntu, but overall Ubuntu is much faster, cleaner and more stable than SuSE ever was.

Is there no ADSL or cable in Beograd?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bootleg
    How can you compare YaST with Synaptic? Synaptic is only for packetmanagement, with YaST you can manage your whole system.
    I compare YaST to Synaptic because that's what he asked.

All of YaST's functions can be compared to the "System Configuration" area in Ubuntu.

And after using YaST since SuSE 6 - I would gladly drop down to the command line and hand-edit the configuration files rather than using YaST for system management.
    ??? :: ubuntu is my OS soul mate
    UDSF :: Forum Policies :: Unanswered Posts :: Ruby :: Donate
    official ubuntu member
    :: ??????? :: so say we all

Beans

Okay, sorry.

In Austria it 's 1 a.m. ... good night .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by bootleg
    Is there no ADSL or cable in Beograd?
    There is. Both of them are available, but I'm still stuck with the dialup. It's much cheaper, but I really hope that ADSL/cable/wireless prices will go down soon. Till then, I'm on the 56k.

Thank you girls and guys for support!
    I guess I will give Ubuntu a try...
    I love SuSE, but - it's slower than I expected (Athlon 2600+ 512RAM), and - at first I liked KDE very much, but somehow I now feel it has too much in it. It's clogged with features... it's definitely more eyecandy than Gnome, but Gnome seems cleaner to me.
    Last edited by Turin Turambar; April 15th, 2005 at 01:47 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast