Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Endless debates about religious derivatives of Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Endless debates about religious derivatives of Ubuntu

no offence, but i don't see a point in this project of yours.

Christian users can simply install those programs after they install the whole Operating System.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu "Christian Edition" Need Server Space!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyraxzz View Post

Christian users can simply install those programs after they install the whole Operating System.
    It's about choice. And, probably, to have a nicer Ubuntu version to present to Christian computer users.

That's a neat idea.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, I know and I expected someone to feel this way. In my opinion there are many Christians who simply do not realize that there are Christian Linux programs. I feel like having a real Christian Linux distro available will only bring more users to Linux and to Ubuntu. That is just my opinion though.

God Bless, Jereme

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't see the point of Xubuntu, Kubuntu, and Edubuntu either. After all, you can just install Ubuntu and add educational applications, right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The problem is WHERE do you stop making all these EDITIONS. isn't desktop environment enough?

P.S. i propose a Ubuntu "Terrorist Edition" CD loaded with all the missile launching and bomb detonate control programs!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would like to encourage people to either contribute something useful to the conversation or move on. If the project doesn't interest you that's okay. There are lots more out there. You don't have to rain on someone else's parade.

Back to the actual topic...
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Regarding the people who think it is foolish to create a distro slanted toward a particular group, I think you're wrong. Slanting toward a target audience is a very common technique in marketing. When my company markets to the military, we emphasize and customize our software for their needs. When we sell it to the educational clients, we play up the things that are important to universities.

If Christians, Buddhist, Muslims, Pawnbrokers, Car Dealers, Doctors, or even Terrorists, decide to create a packaging of Ubuntu that is loaded with things they need, I think it makes perfect sense. I may not agree with the goals of a given group, but that's part of the beauty of open source--I don't have to!

Paul
    Google for Linux | How to install anything | Linux Guides | Where's Root?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Skia_42 View Post
    I fully support the idea of having a Christian Edition of Ubuntu but I think that giving a section of the forums is a bad idea. I can see too many people getting anoyed that there are not other sections for other religions. It seems like it would be opening a Pandoras Box.
    You might be right. The last thing I want to do is cause trouble. I would love to have a forum section for this project, but I see what you are saying. The goal of this project is to reach out towards Christians and bring them into the linux community not to seperate from it.
    Thanks for your comments, Jereme

Quote Originally Posted by T700 View Post
    Regarding the people who think it is foolish to create a distro slanted toward a particular group, I think you're wrong. Slanting toward a target audience is a very common technique in marketing. When my company markets to the military, we emphasize and customize our software for their needs. When we sell it to the educational clients, we play up the things that are important to universities.

If Christians, Buddhist, Muslims, Pawnbrokers, Car Dealers, Doctors, or even Terrorists, decide to create a packaging of Ubuntu that is loaded with things they need, I think it makes perfect sense. I may not agree with the goals of a given group, but that's part of the beauty of open source--I don't have to!

Paul
    Well said!

Thanks, Jereme

Beans

I don't think bringing regligion in this is necessary, they can trick out there box with religious stuff I don't care but to make a OS addon just for christians is just ridiculous.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Icon41 View Post
    I don't think bringing regligion in this is necessary, they can trick out there box with religious stuff I don't care but to make a OS addon just for christians is just ridiculous.
    I think you're misunderstanding the situation--there is no "they." Canonical and Ubuntu are not involved in this project. It's one person's idea, and people are just trying to help that one person implement it as a side project to target a particular group (Christians).

Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast