Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ubuntu Forums Cookbook

Beans

The Ubuntu Forums Cookbook

That's right, I said I would do it, so I'm doing it.

Post your favorite recipes here so we can all share the yummy love. Who knows? Maybe we'll have it published one day too!
    ??? :: ubuntu is my OS soul mate
    UDSF :: Forum Policies :: Unanswered Posts :: Ruby :: Donate
    official ubuntu member
    :: ??????? :: so say we all

Beans

Old-Fashioned Gingerbread

OLD-FASHIONED GINGERBREAD

Ingredients:
    2 sticks butter, at room temperature
    1 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1 cup molasses (NOT blackstrap!)
    2 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 cup hot water

Steps:
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Beat the butter at medium speed with an electric mixer. Gradually add the sugar, beating well.

Add the egg and molasses, mixing well. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger.

Add to the creamed mixture, alternately with the water, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix well after each addition.

Pour the batter into a lightly greased and floured 13-x9-x-2-inch baking pan. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.

Remove and let cool before slicing to serve. Or, let cool completely, wrap first in plastic wrap, then in foil and put into a freezer storage bag before putting it in the freezer. When ready to serve, remove from the freezer, unwrap and let come to room temperature. Then wrap in foil and bake at 250 degrees until warm through. Slice to serve. Makes about 15 servings.
    official ubuntu member

Beans

Talking Re: The Ubuntu Forums Cookbook

i've been inactive for long (returning to ubuntu now)... but i gotta post my favourite.

tripe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripe) goulash. this is with 1 kg tripe, that's enough four about 3 people. the tripe should be "kitchen ready"... i don't recommend messing with the raw tripe unless you're an expert (you don't recommend a linux newbie doing linux from scratch, do you? ) this is the recipe for any goulash by the way, just replace the tripe with pork, beef, etc.

1 kg tripe
    1 spoon grease
    2 big onions
    2 spoons of (preferably hot) paprika powder
    salt
    some pepper
    marjoram
    3-5 cloves of garlic
    (there's no exact amount of spices, it varies with your taste)

cut the onion in tiny pieces.
    heat up the grease in a big pot
    put the onion on the grease, roast it a little until it's yellow.
    put the paprika powder in the pot, mix it
    add the tripe and mix it with the "goulash base"
    gradually add water and salt. only add a cup water at a time, wait til it's boiling and then add another cup. add as much water so the tripe is pretty much covered (some pieces will flow on the top)
    boil it on high fire (3 on a 1-3 scale stove), the pot uncovered, for 45 minutes til the tripe gets a bit tender.
    add pepper, marjoram, smashed garlic... all dependending how spicy you want it. you can add some more paprika too.
    cover the pot, and cook it for 2-3 hours on low fire (1,5). you need to cover it so it becomes tender. check it from time to time, mix it... it's done when almost all the water is gone and the tripe looks like this:

http://grocceni.fw.hu/pics6/kuttel.jpg

serve it with fresh white bread... enjoy

Beans

Re: The Ubuntu Forums Cookbook

A guy who stayed with me tought me of this (I don't cook, but my mom makes it)

2 eggs, beaten
    3 tbsp. of milk
    1 cup flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    Little bit of salt

Combine the above and roll out real thin and cut into strips. Let them dry for an hour(good idea to cover it). Bring some water to boil, and boil em until tender.

Bake a whole chicken, saving the juices. After you're done, let the chicken cool and remove meat from chicken, cutting into bite-size pieces. Add desired amount of water to remaining chicken broth. Add noodles, chicken, celery and carrots. Then you can make these dumpling things that are great; I forget how though

This is real easy; and is amazingly good A personal favorite!!

Luke
    check your zipper

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Uhhh which one do I post? I LOVE cooking and am responsible for weight gain in myself and everyone around me...

I just made Guacomole tonight for my wife:
    4 avacados, scooped and de-stoned.
    1/2 tsp cayenne
    1/2 tsp cumin
    dash salt
    1 clove garlic, finely diced.
    Lime juice
    Small Onion, finely diced
    2 small tomatoes de-seeded and finely diced,

combine avacados, cayenne, cumin. salt and garlic in a bowl and mash/mix to your own required consistency, fold in onion and tomatoe, let sit for an hour to mellow and enjoy with tostidos.

I'd post my recipies for chicken curry and mango chutney, but I fear it would cause riots.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Fried peanut butter sandwich

2 sl White bread
    2 tb Peanut butter
    1/2 VERY ripe banana, mashed with fork
    2 tb Butter or margarine

Spread the bread with the peanut butter and banana. Melt the butter
    in a skillet on medium heat. Fry the sandwich, browning on both sides.
    /path/to/Truth

Beans
    Hidden!

Banana Milk Shake

* 1 1/2 cup milk
    * 2 bananas, sliced and frozen
    * 2 teaspoons honey
    * 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients in container of an electric blender; blend until smooth. Serve immediately.

P.S. - I know I'm like the worst cook ever.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Hidden!

Pizza sauce (also pasta sauce)

1 Can of crushed tomatoes
    1/3 cup of vegetable oil (corn oil is best because it is somewhat sweet)
    2 Tablespoons sugar
    1 or 2 tablespoons salt
    Fresh thyme, basil or oregano.

Finely chop they herb(s) and place them into a large bowl. Add the oil, crushed tomatoes salt and sugar. Use a wisk and blend all the ingredients together. There is so much oil that the sauce becomes creamy and thick.

No heating is required.

Put it on top of Pizza dough.

Pizza dough:

Put 1 teaspoon of dried yeast into 3/4 cup warm(*) water while you gather the rest of the ingredients into a big bowl.

3 to 4 cups flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon sugar
    a bit of oil if you want.

Flick the water glass with your finger. If the yeast starts to bubble, it is because it is hydrated and ready for action. If not, wait. It should take less than ten minutes. Add it to the bowl. Mix with a fork until everything is pretty much stuck together. Keep one hand clean and with the other, press down on the dough. Keep folding it in on itself. Knead the heck out of it.
    If you find it hard and the dough is crumbly, add some water. If it is too sticky and you can't get any work done, add flour. Don't give up.

When it is soft (as in smooth) fold it up into a round ball and drop in back into the bowl. Rinse your hands and wipe them in a towel. Use the damp towel to cover the bowl. Let it rise for an hour or two until it is doubled. You can stick it in the fridge overnight instead. Cover the towel with a plate, in that case.

Knead the dough again for a minute and then flatten it. Work it out into a round shape. Put it on a well greased cookie sheet and cover with the sauce. Do not forget the cheese.

350F until the cheese is browned.

*not too warm. Stick your finger in your spouse's mouth. That is 37 degrees celcius (body temp) Make it a bit warmer (40 degrees) Cooking is fun.

Beans
    Hidden!

Couldn't you stick your finger in your own mouth? Granted, that's not as fun.

Good on you for starting this. I can't wait to see the recipies. I could use some myself. My cooking skills are slightly better than terrible.

Beans

Andouille Sausage and Corn Bread Stuffing

Andouille Sausage and Corn Bread Stuffing

Ingredients :
    4 tbl oil or butter
    4 cup chopped onions
    2 cup chopped celery
    2 cup chopped green bell peppers
    1 1/4 lb andouille
    4 tbl butter
    2 tbl sweet paprika
    2 tbl garlic minced
    1 tbl Tabasco sauce
    2 cup turkey duck or chicken stock
    1 1/2 cup cornbread, crumbled

Steps :
    * Place the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add 2 cups of the onions, 1 cup each of the celery and bell pepper. Saute until the onions are dark brown but not burned, about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the andouille and cook until the meat is browned, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

Add the remaining 2 cups onions, 1 cup celery and bell pepper, the butter, paprika, garlic and Tabasco, stirring well. Reduce heat to medium and cook about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in the stock and bring to a simmer; continue cooking until the oil rises to the top (until the water evaporates), about 10 minutes. Stir in the bread crumbs. Remove from heat.

Transfer mixture to an ungreased 8 x 8-inch baking dish; bake uncovered in a 425F oven until browned on top, about 45 minutes, stirring and scraping pan bottom well, every 15 minutes.
    official ubuntu member

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast