Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Edgy Art feedback request

Beans

Re: Edgy Art feedback request

AoG logo > MaG logo but other than that I like the MaG look more. If everything were glossy I can only picture a cheesy looking interface, over the top trendiness.
    I think a drop shadow on the logo could also give it a little more pop. The pallets look good but could maybe use an orange area. The brown and tan look is kind of dull and limiting.

Maybe in the future multiple color schemes could be developed in parallel. Once a GUI element is completed, creating different color versions of it is a very simple task. This way people could be given several different GUI color schemes right from a fresh install. A lot of people detest the brown scheme and rummaging the net for GUI elements that "work" together and look good is not something everyone wants to deal with.

On the sounds, I feel that 8 is the best of them, but I'm still not feelin' it. I agree with what bobbybobington had to say on this.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I love the AOG logo, its vibrant and exciting, like edgy is supposed to be. None of the sounds really worked for me. But it has given me a question, what programs do you dev's use for composing them?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I really like the circles theme, it's attractive and eye-catching in my opinion. I think the sounds need to be... more human? All the sounds listed were relying a litle too heavily on artificial tones (sample 8 is the best), and the big chord in sample two sounds very windows-like.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Moving /home To a New Partition | Creating Backups | Mounting Windows Shares At Boot
    Linux User #409900 | Ubuntu User #4897

Beans

For the sounds, I think all the samples sound "a bit too much", in a way that I find hard to define. Anything with too much rhythm and pulse, like Sample08, is in danger of creating the same impression as a web site with a background sound.

If I go to a web site and start hearing background music, my reaction is to close the window asap. A rhythmic pulse like sample 8 suggests an intro to more music: "Oh no! When do the vocals start?"

One of the good features of the present Ubuntu login sound, is that you very quickly sense that the music has peaked and is on the way out: it has a short "rise" and a longer "fade".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

sound: sample 8

look: Matte and gloss

style: round
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sample08 is the best of the best, to my opinion. It is jolly and energetic without being annoying, and it sounds like true ubuntu with its human notion of drums; This is a tune I would like to show off with.
    The finger-on-comb effect, sounding once at sec. 7, is a bit weird though.

Beans
    Hidden!

I prefer failsafe btu the second one on the list is good.

As for the first.. well:

Bounding elements with a circle rarely works, even less so when the elements are square and the canvas is square. It's too incongrous.

Also I think the ubuntu logotype is currently far too significant to omit. The circle of friends logo doesn't work without it.

I appreciate the minimal approach but there are better ways to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The ubuntu7-X-fade-rev sounds really good to me, very Human-style : it's by far the one I like most.
    Even though the Failsafe isn't the newest in terms of style, I still like it more rather than Circles and Rounded.
    And to finish, the logo : I just love jmak's work. It's polished, styled, very professional-looking... Bravo =D>

Cheers everyone

Beans

On the audio:

The tracks that stand out to me as promising are samples 5, 8, and 10. 8 and 10 definately need to be shortened.

However, I still like the current sounds better. I think that 8 may surpass it with a bit of tweaking.

I really, really like the light, sandy looking color palette that's being used in this mockup:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Spec...-gloss-who.jpg

The darker one is really nice too - rich and chocolatey. They're both much better-looking than the previous shades of brown and orange that have been used, IMO.
    Last edited by chickengirl; August 18th, 2006 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Sorry, I just saw the thing about all images belonging in the gallery

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast