Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Defragger: What do you think....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Defragger: What do you think....

The innards of MS at their best I suppose. Amazing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

WOW, that's gonna be my new sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    If you fill your disk to the 95%+ mark, performance will degrade rapidly, and fragmentation will also get out of control like in Windows.

Oooops. time to buy a new hard disk...
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by panickedthumb
    I'd love to know that myself! I know the filesystem is a lot more robust and everything, but you'd THINK there'd be some fragmentation.
    The output of fsck will tell you how fragmented, or 'non-contiguous', the file system is. When I obliterated my Slackware ext3 filesystem of 2 years+ to put Ubuntu on, the last fsck said it was 1.01% non-contigous. A FAT partition gets more fragmented that than in 2 days!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As I've said before, the only case where ext3/XFS get fragmented is when you fill the disk up to the brim.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123