Thread: Grub booting windows11 into sleep mode

Beans

Grub booting windows11 into sleep mode

Hi all,
    I've just installed ubuntu 22.04 as dual boot on a windows 11 NUC and now selecting windows boot loader from the grub menu sends the box to sleep. I need to press the power button twice (once off and once on) before it will display the windows log-on screen. (Note - it doesn't reboot here, it just wakes up).
    Windows will boot fine if selected to be first in my bios (i.e - launching the windows boot manager and not grub), so I'm guessing it's a grub issue.
    I have the option of adding ubuntu to the windows boot loader and using that instead, but it would be nice if I could get grub working.
    Does anyone have any ideas where I could start looking please? My web searches have come up blank so far.

Thanks in advance

Beans

Re: Grub booting windows11 into sleep mode

You could try turning off Secure Boot and hibernation in windows to see if that resolves the problem.

Beans

All the windows sleep options are off, secure boot and fast boot are also already off - these have no effect.
    Interestingly, if I select the windows option in Grub and hit 'e' to bring up the edit screen, I can then just continue to boot into windows from there and it loads fine.
    There's just something odd happening with the initial Grub menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Quote Originally Posted by dotborg2 View Post
    Interestingly, if I select the windows option in Grub and hit 'e' to bring up the edit screen, I can then just continue to boot into windows from there and it loads fine.
    That's a bit unusual.
    I would boot into Ubuntu and run:-
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Make sure that you have this entry in etc/default/grub
    Code:
    GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false
    Any improvement?

Beans

No luck with those either I'm afraid, I'm suspecting a hardware issue now to be honest. With a bit of luck I can still exchange it.
    The help is much appreciated anyway.
    Thanks to all.

Beans

You should turn off Secure Boot in windows and give it a try. Who know if this work for you. https://thedigitalbin.com

Beans

This ended up being a hardware issue and was resolved with a fix from the manufacturer (an issue with the hdmi ports..). Thanks all anyway.