Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Poster Competition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ubuntu Poster Competition

EDIT: The final design has been chosen and printed. The author (HanZo) has been sent 10 free posters
    EDIT: For more info on how ordering works, and what's done with the money: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=296758

Hello artworkers. I'm working on printing out Ubuntu posters, and shipping them out. You guess right, posters need artwork. Artwork needs artists - you.

If any of you feel like helping out, please:
    1) Check out this thread: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...66#post1449466
    2) Design a poster (either with or without content)
    3) Post a link here, or email it to me and i'll host it (and link it here)
    4) Email me all the source files, I'll make them available (You might be the best to do the art, but others might want to improve the content).
    5) Be the one with the best design. If I end up priting more than 100 of those posters for the community, you'll get one for free... if I print over, say, 250, you'll get 5 for the help. It will be more if you also buy some to go with (because then I will only be giving you posters, not shipping for free).
    6) Policy:
    I require all the material to be GPL or similar. If you don't know what this is, don't worry about it, but don't bother me with copyright violations . I _will_ have to make changes to your work before investing a ton of my cash into it.
    With the stickers I made, I strictly held to not-keeping-any-profit. In this case, I will stick to the same, with the exception of adding a bit as a 'service charge' for doing all the work... but mainly because I'm risking a lot of money each time. I'm thinking 10% of the entire price is very fair, and if it all goes as with the stickers, that would mean approx. 40% to Marketing Ubuntu, 10% to me.
    Last edited by Jenda; November 12th, 2006 at 09:29 AM.
    This message was brought to you by dvorak!
    Visit us on IRC as well: #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Ubuntu Poster Competition

i'll give it a whack. any idea of what you would like it to say?

also what resolution would it need to be?

Beans

Just created my first Ubuntu wallpaper maybe I could use the design as part of a poster.

Beans

what about a creative commons license (since GPL is pretty much a software thing)?
    edit: btw... great idea!
    [>] visit my brand new blog: weblog.papernoise.net
    [+] follow me on twitter: twitter.com/papernoise

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by smartalecks View Post
    i'll give it a whack. any idea of what you would like it to say?
    also what resolution would it need to be?
    Hello smartalecks, thanks for willing to help - again ツ
    Feel free to inspire yourself here (download and view in inkscape): http://thegeekettespeaketh.pinoyweb....oster02_en.svg

I'd strongly prefer .svg, so that we can adjust res later.

Quote Originally Posted by moeFinley View Post
    Just created my first Ubuntu wallpaper maybe I could use the design as part of a poster.
    It looks great, moeFinley, but I'd be careful about branding. The poster should be clearly branded with the Ubuntu logo, and an unknown picture of a pinguin, while great for a user's desktop, is not entirely appropriate for spreading out to the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by HanZo View Post
    what about a creative commons license (since GPL is pretty much a software thing)?
    edit: btw... great idea!
    I prefer the GPL, as it is much easier to work with.

Thank you!

Beans

I've done a couple of concepts based on the poster inspiration you posted. The design needs some work but do you think this is it what you wanted to convey?

http://holycow.farvista.net/ubuntu/poster_concept_1.pdf

This one needs a better picture of a crappier toy to get the message across, the monkey looks a bit too good
    http://holycow.farvista.net/ubuntu/poster_concept_2.pdf

Tell us what you think, thanks

(source images and SVGs)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wow
    I'm pleasantly surprised that you came up with original ideas for how to get the message across. I really like these, although I was imagining something a little different. The one I posted above 'for inspiration' was intended for content-inspiration, not really design. It is intended for home printing, and serves that purpose great (white background). The ones you designed look like part of a series (with different approaches to how Ubuntu is Free), and would thus be ideal for home printing as well. I will make use of them, I believe And thanks for the source files, that makes a difference too.
    OTOH, what I wanted for professional printing has one disadvantage:
    We can only have one design, otherwise it would be too expensive (I think different language translations shouldn't be such a problem)
    And one major advantage:
    We can use colors. Ubuntu has a color: brown I would really like the poster to make use of this.

And it also needs two more details: "www.ubuntu.com" & "Ubuntu, Canonical and the Ubuntu logo are trademarks of Canonical Ltd."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Alright I had some spare time and made one in the GIMP. Suggestions please! (changing graphics, adjusting graphics, changing the text...)

LARGE VIEW PLEASE

Comments and crits! I will be making a few more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Looking very good there That's more like what I had in mind.
    Five things:
    - "Ubuntu" is the name, not "Ubuntu Linux", as in "Ubuntu Linux is completely free."
    - "Thousands of free and legal pieces of software..." sounds better, IMO
    - Careful about line breaks - eg., the word 'tastes' is on its own line.
    - Add a small "Ubuntu, Canonical and the Ubuntu logo are trademarks of Canonical Ltd." at the bottom.
    - I'm not totally sure about the little clouds there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Alrighty!
    I have a quote for the posters from the printer. They will cost $300, if I print out 200, which would boil down to $1.50 apiece.
    Add $3 for packaging and shipping, and you get a nice $20 for a shipment of 10 posters, $11 for 5 posters, $5 for a single poster.
    I wonder if the community can cough up enough not to leave me in the red

(EDIT: If I get 500 instead, I can knock the price per poster to $0.80 !!! But I think I'd have to charge $1 anyway, to ensure that unsold posters are covered.)
    Last edited by Jenda; September 4th, 2006 at 12:59 PM.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast