Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Configure wireless cards with Broadcom chipsets

Beans

HOW TO: Configure wireless cards with Broadcom chipsets

Edit: bodhi.zazen - Please note, this thread is from 2005 and although it turns up on a google search the information is out of date.

Please see the Ubuntu wiki broadcom page

6 July 2006 Update
    I haven't had a Broadcom card for many months, but I've been told this how-to doesn't work properly under Dapper. Here are a couple of links that have been passed to me - but I can't vouch for their quality.

http://www.beginningubuntu.com/dappe...t_wifi_working
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=201902

Good luck. I'm very happy that this how-to has helped so many people in the past year or so.

Broadcom wireless cards are tricky to set up in ubuntu, and the forums are full of frustrated users seeking advice. Broadcom provide no Linux support (feel free to complain to your hardware vendor or choose a different card if you haven't yet shelled out your cash), but they can be made to work - and you're in the right place if you want to know how.

First, you need to find out if this How To is for you. Broadcom wireless cards come under many brand names and, in particular, are used in many Dell and Acer laptops. Look for the drivers supplied with your card (Dell usually store a copy in C:/DRIVERS/NETWORK/ADDON); if you have a file called bcmwl5.inf or bcmwl5a.inf then keep on reading. You won't succeed without following these instructions!

0. Before you start, clear out any mess from existing failed attempts to use ndiswrapper. Note that you shouldn't use a root terminal to execute the code in this how-to; use a normal terminal session instead.
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r bcmwl5
    sudo rmmod ndiswrapper
    sudo apt-get remove ndiswrapper-utils
    sudo rm -r /etc/ndiswrapper/
    sudo rm -r /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper
    Some of these steps may report errors; just ignore them.

1. Copy the bcmwl5.inf and bcmwl5.sys files to your desktop

2. Follow the advice given here under How to add extra repositories

3. Open a terminal session and enter this code. Note that you need an active network connection for this to work; I've assumed that if you have access to a wireless LAN, you also have access to a wired network as a fallback.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils
    sudo ndiswrapper -i ~/Desktop/bcmwl5.inf
    sudo ndiswrapper -m
    for conffile in /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmwl5/*.conf; do
    sudo cat $conffile | sed -e 's/RadioState|1/RadioState|0/' > $conffile
    done
    4. Reboot your PC. On restarting, the light on your wireless card should come on. If not, try entering
    Code:
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    5. Your card is now working. Open the networking configuration tool System --> Administration --> Networking

6. Select your wireless network card (probably wlan0) and hit the properties button.

7. Tick the 'This device is configured' box, and enter your network name and connection settings. Ask your office network administrator for support if you don't know what this question means, or copy your settings from Windows.

8. BE CAREFUL entering your WEP key, if you're using one. You're expected to enter this in hexadecimal form; if you don't speak hex, prefix your key with s:

9. Click OK. The screen should close fairly quickly; if it hangs, you probably aren't connected properly.

10. Back in the Network Settings screen, select your wireless device as the default gateway device.

11. Click OK. Again, the screen should close fairly quickly.

12. Enjoy wireless nirvana. If everything works, you can delete the file from your desktop.

13. You might notice that the signal strength applet doesn't work properly. This is a known bug with these cards.

If you have trouble, try booting into Windows - if you dual boot - and checking that the card is enabled. Some laptops allow the wireless card to be switched off, usually with a special key combination, and I've not found a reliable way to make this work in Linux.

(Note: This how-to has been updated to reflect all comments from the thread up to 19 April)
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; March 12th, 2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Add warning about using a root terminal

Beans

Re: HOW TO: Configure wireless cards with Broadcom chipsets

great Howto. I need this next weekend. What a lifesaver...
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

what version of Ndiswrapper is included in the ubuntu 5.04? should be 1.1?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You don't have to edit all the .conf files by hand. Replace steps 'sudo gedit' and Step 4 with the following...

Code:
    $ sed -e 's/RadioState|1/RadioState|0/' /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmwl5/*.conf

Beans

it worked, thank you
    See, you not only have to be a good coder to create a system like Linux, you have to be a sneaky bastard too.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Remix_88
    You don't have to edit all the .conf files by hand. Replace steps 'sudo gedit' and Step 4 with the following...

Code:
    $ sed -e 's/RadioState|1/RadioState|0/' /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmwl5/*.conf
    Thanks; I've updated the how-to. I knew you could use sed instead of gedit, but couldn't get the syntax quite right. You're obviously smarter then me!

By the way, if you get here from a search engine, I imagine this would work for any other Debian based distros. Steps 5 onward need Gnome, but KDE has equivalent tools.

Beans

Hi,

When I use the sed command the output just oes to the terminal window. The files do not get changed. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks

Beans

I'll have to test this tomorrow. In the meantime, you need to replace the sed command with these steps:

- sudo gedit
    - This will open a text editor. Open every file in the directory /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmwl5/ and replace every instance of RadioState|1 with RadioState|0
    - continue with step 4

Sorry for the confusion.

Beans

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I knew all the steps but the "sed" step.

I'm going to boot into Ubuntu now and try it.

Ant

Beans

It works!!

Quote Originally Posted by jonny
    I'll have to test this tomorrow. In the meantime, you need to replace the sed command with these steps:

- sudo gedit
    - This will open a text editor. Open every file in the directory /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmwl5/ and replace every instance of RadioState|1 with RadioState|0
    - continue with step 4

Sorry for the confusion.
    Johnny,

Thanks for posting this. After I edited the .conf files my card started working after doing modprobe. Writing post via my new wireless Ubuntu laptop....

Ant

Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast