Thread: Howto automatically install apps/plugins ubuntuguide.org

Beans

Howto automatically install apps/plugins ubuntuguide.org

This bash script allows you to choose which apps/plugins to install as seen on http://ubuntuguide.org for 5.04 hoary. Also immediately after install flash, java, php for apache you can verify it's success.

download lastest script at http://mrbass.org/linux/ubuntu

I'm not very good at script writing so laugh as you will. I worked on this from 3pm till 3am. Lot of typos, testing, re-testing and did I mention testing? It seems to work good but as always glad to hear any feedback. Especially if mysql password is set correctly, RP-PPPoe since I can't test that. Also if anyone knows how to from a script add the menu items that'd save me from searching google and looking it up.

Things to do:
    - automate adding menu items for the following:
    Azureus, Limewire, LinPopUp, RSSOwl, NVU, Nvidia-Settings, RP-PPPoE, MySQL Control Center

I added inkscape (vector graphics editor) and may add a few more like realplayer since helix doesn't play any realvideo. Remember if prompts you to install each app so you can choose which ones you want and don't.

Last time I tried Ubuntu it didn't recognize my wireless card so I gave up on it. This time 5.04 hoary recognizes it and it just works. I've mainly been using mepis so that's where I'm coming from. So far ubuntu is great (using it for 2 days now). I just swore I'd never do and cut and paste fest again (thus the reason for this script).
    Last edited by mrbass; April 12th, 2005 at 12:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Howto automatically install apps/plugins ubuntuguide.org

Nice work, but hasn't ubuntu-geek done something similar here?
    Linux Registered User: 381155

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Another simular project can be found here : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=22860

Beans

oooooooooops that's what I get for not searching hard enough. Seriously I've only been using Ubuntu for 2 days. I searched for 'scripts' in the forum and didn't see it. In Mepis it's all setup for you so that's what motivated me to do this. Oh well...our scripts are different enough that I'll continue working on mine if there's interest. His script is way over my head some of the syntax (that's a compliment).

Beans

Hy mr brass mayby as you are a main Mepis user (as I) maybe it could be nice to have your opinion between those two.....
    http://www.mrbass.org/linux/mepis/

mrbass, it is nice to see you using ubuntu, l used to use mepis and made the switch to ubuntu a little while back... I would be interested in hearing a comparison as well! Still using XFCE...?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

I'm using Kubuntu on my desktop and MEPIS on my laptop cuz I have wireless on my laptop and MEPIS's control centre was amazingly easy to connect to my WLAN out of the box.
    Linux Registered User: 381155

Beans

Could you make some changes (rep. etc) and make this script for warty user's ?

Beans

Thanks Mr Bass, really appreciate ALL the effort.
    If it was'nt for your really cool site I would'nt have discovered Mepis. Mepis is still my distro of choice

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slade_slater
    mrbass, it is nice to see you using ubuntu, l used to use mepis and made the switch to ubuntu a little while back... I would be interested in hearing a comparison as well! Still using XFCE...?
    definitely plan to add XFCE 4.2.1 to the script for sure. Also got add quicktime mplayer support so one can view movie trailers like in mepis at http://www.apple.com/trailers/ Main thing was the nvidia driver issue which made me check out ubuntu...glad I did. Still unbuntu's live cd will never be like Mepis with all the preconfigured java, flash, pdf, etc.

about support for warty....I really don't see myself doing that. Like I said I'm a total noob to ubuntu and never used it before. I'm sure it's easy to do though just modify the script to your liking.