Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix the best Distro to install and use !(after trying a lot of distros [50+])

Beans

Smile Knoppix the best Distro to install and use !(after trying a lot of distros [50+])

simple title for simple truth: Knoppix is by far the best distro; Ubuntu, Sabayon, & Dreamlinux are tied for the second best.

skymt is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: I find Knoppix the best to install and use ! (after trying a lot of distros [50+])

Okay, thank you.

Why?
    Are you Listening?
    Are you a Hero?
    Are you Sleeping?

Beans

Re: I find Knoppix the best to install and use ! (after trying a lot of distros [50+]

Quote Originally Posted by skymt View Post
    Okay, thank you.

Why?
    Hey are you trying to make me work hard?

When you ask why what exactly are you looking for?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: I find Knoppix the best to install and use ! (after trying a lot of distros [50+]

When you ask why what exactly are you looking for?
    i think he would like you to tell him the reasons why you think that knoppix is the best linux distro.
    Last edited by ComplexNumber; September 22nd, 2006 at 01:20 PM.

skymt is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber View Post
    i think he would like you to tell him the reasons why you think that knoppix is the best linux distro.
    Yes, exactly. An unsupported statement isn't going to convince anyone. What makes Knoppix so good, so much better than Ubuntu and all the others?
    Are you Listening?
    Are you a Hero?
    Are you Sleeping?

Beans

Re: I find Knoppix the best to install and use ! (after trying a lot of distros [50+])

I'd also like to know why. It'd point me in the right direction as to which ones to play with first.

Beans

OK I am sure I have covered this reason somewhere before...in a collective evauluation of all Linux distros I have tried I have a top 4 list:

1. Knoppix
    2. Sabayon
    3. Ubuntu
    4. Dreamlinux

specifically in that order....

of the 4 listed I would say that Knoppix and Ubuntu are the most stable...

Sabayon is the distro that has the most pontential, followed by Dreamlinux

Yet, the one distro I find the most reliable that I find myself always returning to is Knoppix, why does this make it the best in my opinion?

first I believe Linux overall should be as pain free as possible,...for the most part it is...

I really don't believe a comparison constrast between Knoppix and Ubuntu would be fair....they are both good, but I do place Knoppix above Ubuntu for me...

Knoppix with out a doubt has superior hardware detection overall and is a benchmark in Linux.

I look forward to Knoppix and Ubuntu working together, meaning I have heard that just as you can load Debian with the knoppix installer Klaus will include Ubuntu as an option also...

thus giving Ubuntu the superior hardware detection of Knoppix, and giving Knoppix users the ability to install with the Knoppix installer, Ubuntu.

I hope that the other options:

1. Debian
    2. beginner
    3. Knoppix (like live CD)

are also maintained...I have installed all three options but prefer option #3

Just a point of reference I use and will always use Ubuntu on my old computer,....but on my new computer I am still unable to get Ubuntu to run or install...

I have run (liveCD) and installed many OS's....

I find this a huge flaw in Ubuntu....(beyond the fact I could probably troubleshoot and fix it, but this is not the point)

Knoppix has by far the easiest installation of any distro and has become a standard on Knoppix based distros ie: Dreamlinux, Musix, etc.

after booting the liveCD, simply open the Knoppix 'Root Shell' and type:

IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer
    and follow the prompts from there....simply easy

Knoppix while not the prettiest distro by default, like Sabayon and Dreamlinux....it does come preloaded with codecs(like Sabayon & Dreamlinux),....you will find that you have to customize a bit to get the fonts particularly to your choosing...

Agian Ubuntu is great but overall I find Knoppix more reliable...I like how it appears to be a bit more technical in apperance....it does need a bit of polish and I like adding that to it...

for the masses Ubuntu is by far the best option, but after typing this I question that myself...even though I mod here and distribute Ubuntu I find myself promoting Knoppix as the best Distro....I also suggest Sabayon and Dreamlinux strongly too....

and sometimes I promote PC-BSD for those that I think need maximum simplicity with limits.

anyway this may not cover everybodies questions completely this is why I ask for specific questions.

What is it you look for in a Distro?....what are your bechmarks?

if there is something you are looking for specifically then ask....

I will probably know the answer if not post it here or in The Forums at cafelinux.org

http://cafelinux.org/forums/

or just IM, PM , or email me.

Jozef
    Last edited by RAV TUX; September 23rd, 2006 at 05:47 PM.

Beans

There's no such thing as "the best distro"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Yozef, what do you think of Kanotix? I've been reading a bit about it and Knoppix and some say Kanotix is like Knoppix, but maybe even a little bit better.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arox View Post
    There's no such thing as "the best distro"
    sure there is is we all have our favorite distro that we consider to be the best, according to each individual. I have my specifications and I consider Knoppix the Best Distro out of all that I have tried.

pretty simple concept
    Last edited by RAV TUX; September 23rd, 2006 at 10:09 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast