Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: StreamTuner + StreamRipper, another way to get music.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

HOWTO: StreamTuner + StreamRipper, another way to get music.

I don't know how many music albumbs I have but it's never enough! I always need new music and I'm sure many of you need it too!

So here I want to give you some tips (for whoever didn't already know) about how to get some good quality music, and legally, as it's legal to record a TV program and then watch it when you come home.

Let's start with Streamtuner.
    "streamtuner is a stream directory browser. Through the use of a plugin system, it offers an intuitive GTK+ 2.0 interface to Internet radio directories such as SHOUTcast and Live365."
    In addition it can catalogue all your local music files for a fast access to them.

Ok, let's install it.
    Enable the "universe" in your repository and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install streamtuner
    Ok, it should create an entry in your meny under Applications -> Sound & Video.
    Since you have it installed let's teach it to open your favorite music player everytime you want to listen one of the listed radios.
    In streamtuner open Edit -> Preferences. In the Application tab you will see a table. In the right column you will see "xmms %q" (I think it's the default setting), replace "xmms" with your favorite player but don't forget "%q" at the end of the string. In my case it is set to "beep-media-player %q".

Now you can listen to a lot of radio stations, many of them broadcasting at a very good bitrate.

Now, wouldn't it be cool to record your favorite ones in your hard disk?
    Let's go.

To rip streaming radios we'll use "streamripper".
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install streamripper
    Now, let's tell Streamtuner how to use Streamripper properly.
    Again, open Edit -> Preferences.

In the same table as before we'll edit the last row of the table, where it says "Record a stream".
    Here we will delete the right column cell and replace it with this:
    Code:
    x-terminal-emulator -e streamripper %q -d /mnt/Data01/Ripped -r -q
    Where "/mnt/Data01/Ripped" is the location where you want all the mp3s to be stored.

The "-r" option means Streamripper will create a relay server. In other words, if you don't do it you will be downloading the ripped version twice, once by streamripper and once by your media player. You might not care if you have broadband but you will otherwise.
    The "-r" option, as we said, will create the relay using by default the 8000 port but, in case it's busy (video streaming, others) it will continue serching for the next open port. Usually, if 8000 is busy 8001 won't.

Example. You found a nice radio. You tune it, your player opens it and you hear it. You like it and decide to start ripping it. You press the Record button. A console will open and streamtuner will start doing its job.
    Now, you can listen at whatever you want with your media player (other streaming radios, local files, etc) that streamripper will keep doing it's job. But if you want to listen what is being ripped, instead of connecting to the streaming radio you can connect to the relay created by streamripper.
    To do so, just open with your media player http://localhost:8000/ (or http://localhost:8001/, etc).

Hope you will get some cool music with this combo.
    At least I do.

Cheers!
    -------------------------------------
    Ubuntu in Spanish is Ubuñtu!
    Running Aspire 9814 AMD64 & Extensa 5620

Beans

Re: HOWTO: StreamTuner + StreamRipper, another way to get music.

1) Cool does it record in different mp3 files for each song or one big one that you have to seperate?

2) Can you record multiple stations at once?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman
    1) Cool does it record in different mp3 files for each song or one big one that you have to seperate?

2) Can you record multiple stations at once?
    1) Yes, it stores the files separately unless you specify otherwise. The "-q" option will even add sequence number to output filese, useful when there's crossfade between files.

2) Yes, you can record as many stations as your bandwidth allow you.

Beans

I've read through the thread on how to use streamripper with streamtuner. I've modified the streamtuner record preferences just as it is suggested. however, when i acutally record, streamripper hangs when it is trying to get the track info. any thoughts????

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by prodi_g
    I've read through the thread on how to use streamripper with streamtuner. I've modified the streamtuner record preferences just as it is suggested. however, when i acutally record, streamripper hangs when it is trying to get the track info. any thoughts????
    I took out the -d directory parameter and then it worked...
    Kind regards / 73 de Kasper OZ8AAZ

Beans

Thanks for the help. I guess I just won't have any control over where it stores the ripped file but it's a small setup for enjoying ripping radio.

Beans

So - I cant seem to get it working. Admittedly im a bit of a noob when it comes t Linux at the moment.

Ive enabled my universe repositories.

Ive apt-get installed steamtuner - There doesnt seem to be an entry for it in my applications. Same goes for streamripper ... apt-get installed ... no entry in the menu .... anyone got any idea what ive done wrong?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kmyram
    I took out the -d directory parameter and then it worked...
    The -d parameter indicates in which folder it will store the ripped streaming.
    You can use it if the indicated location folder exists.

Beans

This two programs are awesome!
    The nice thing is that the stream record separates the mp3's and give them id3 and filename!
    Tremendous...

Beans

This is superb... thank you!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast