Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Load Ubuntu from RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Load Ubuntu from RAM

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmusician View Post
    yeah, i guess the OP needs to provide more information on why he wants this.

And please don't recommend to use apt-get like that...use

that way, you'll be able to uninstall it easily by doing "sudo aptitude remove xubuntu desktop", whereas it would be a little harder with apt-get, lol.
    Why is it harder with apt-get? now that it has the autoremove feature I find it very easy. Is there something else I'm missing here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

its not quite the answer you are looking for, but:

the command
    Code:
    find / -exec cat {} \; > /dev/null
    would read every file on the disk, and output them to /dev/null (ie nowhere).

when you read a file on linux the kernel keeps a copy in memory. it will only be remove from the memory cache if the space is needed by running programs.

you might want to tune the find bit of them command (see man find), so that it skips things like /proc (which is in memory anyway)

the whole coping your root partition to a ram disk and then running from that is possible (as people have said some live cds do it). i am not sure how one does it though. try looking up pivot_root and initrd.

--
    found this http://www.schnozzle.org/~coldwell/diskless/

Beans

in /boot/grub/menu.lst there is are options after each kernel line such as quiet and splash etc. Just put toram there and if you load that option it will be fully in ram.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmusician View Post
    yeah, i guess the OP needs to provide more information on why he wants this.

And please don't recommend to use apt-get like that...use

that way, you'll be able to uninstall it easily by doing "sudo aptitude remove xubuntu desktop", whereas it would be a little harder with apt-get, lol.
    the autoremove switch makes aptitude unneeded

sudo apt-get autoremove xubuntu desktop

should do the same thing as aptitude

Closed for necromancing.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12