Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick Ubuntu Related Poll For College Class

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quick Ubuntu Related Poll For College Class

I need roughly 20 people to take the following poll. Please try to be as honest as possible. This will be anonymous when it is turned in. If you have any questions related to the poll please PM me as I want to keep this as clean as possible.

Do you use Ubuntu? (Yes, No)

What was your first Ubuntu release? (Hoary - Edgy)

Why did you choose Ubuntu? (2-3 Sentences)

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? (Yes, No)

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community? (Yes, No)

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? (Yes, No)

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? (Yes, No)

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? (Yes, No)
    Last edited by gnaunited; October 28th, 2006 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Typo, thanks to jordanmthomas for pointing that out

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Quick Ubuntu Related Poll For College Class

Do you use Ubuntu? Yes

What was your first Ubuntu release? Edgy

Why did you choose Ubuntu? I choose ubuntu after testing many other distros. Unbuntu was the only one to successfully detect my Cisco wireless card automatically. Ubuntu was also recommended by a friend.

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? Yes

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community? Yes

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? Yes

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? No

hould Ubuntu start making there own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? Yes

- Ratman99UK

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I need roughly 20 people to take the following poll. Please try to be as honest as possible. This will be anonymous when it is turned in. If you have any questions related to the poll please PM me as I want to keep this as clean as possible.

Yes

Breezy

The best linux distro out there. Most important to me was that it just works and there's no need to fiddle too much with the settings to get the hardware to work properly.

Yes

Yes, of course.

Yes, if they'd ask a reasonable fee.

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? (Yes, No)
    Yes, not tomorrow, but who knows...

Should Ubuntu start making there own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? (Yes, No)
    Yes, although there isn't missing that much in Linux when it comes to software.

Beans

Yes, but I am going to switch to Fedora Core 6 soon.

Warty

It was the first distro that got my hardware set up well.

It depends on what you mean by succeed. If by succeed, you simply mean that the project will hang around and be popular, I think it will be for a while. Will it be the best thing since sliced bread forever? No. Short answer: I think yes, it will succeed.

yes

I would not pay money to use Ubuntu, but I try to help pay by participating in the community and spreading the word a little bit. As for money, there's too many other free alternatives to pay for one.

No

Should Ubuntu start making there own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? (Yes, No)
    No

**oh, and before you turn in your poll, make sure to fix that 'there'
    Last edited by jordanmthomas; October 28th, 2006 at 01:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Do you use Ubuntu? Yes, and right now specifically Fluxbuntu.

What was your first Ubuntu release? Breezy

Why did you choose Ubuntu? Simple to set up, plenty of people here to ask questions for advice.

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? Yes, my school already uses it mainstream for some of the workstations, as well as computer labs.

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? Yes, as long as it's reasonable.

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? Yes

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? No, I think the specific Linux community should contribute.
    Registered User #427018

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jordanmthomas View Post
    Yes, but I am going to switch to Fedora Core 6 soon.

Warty

It was the first distro that got my hardware set up well.

It depends on what you mean by succeed. If by succeed, you simply mean that the project will hang around and be popular, I think it will be for a while. Will it be the best thing since sliced bread forever? No. Short answer: I think yes, it will succeed.

yes

I would not pay money to use Ubuntu, but I try to help pay by participating in the community and spreading the word a little bit. As for money, there's too many other free alternatives to pay for one.

No

No

**oh, and before you turn in your poll, make sure to fix that 'there'
    I'm a dweeb sometimes. Nothing to see here.
    Last edited by llamakc; October 28th, 2006 at 02:04 AM. Reason: doh!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Do you use Ubuntu? (Yes)

What was your first Ubuntu release? (Breezy Badger 5.10)

Why did you choose Ubuntu? (2-3 Sentences) Read about it in the Boston Herald. Actually it was a review about Kubuntu and the writer said it was the first linux distro he could use and the install wasn't too complicated.

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? Depends on your definition of success. Will it be around for years to come...yes. Mark Shguttleworth did not create Ubuntu as a business enterprise.

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? This is a trick question. Now, I would pay because I can do anything with my Ubuntu system but in the beginning Ubuintu was useless to me. I couldn't do basic tasks for a couple of months. Only after much effort and lots of ubuntu forum help could I use Ubuntu as my regular OS.
    So my answer is 2 part. Would I have paid for Ubuntu in the beginning....No. Would I pay now...Yes

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? Another badly phrased question. A 1/2 of a point market share...yes. 25% share of the entire operating system market... no

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? NO Ubuntu does not have cash flow. It is free. Where would they get the money to develop applications? Ubuntu now runs on a $10 million dollar trust set up by Shuttleworth. That is for a staff of developers who take Debian and gnu software and apply it to the ubuntu system. You seem to believe that Ubuntu is a capitalist venture and that there goal is to take over the operating system market. This is not correct. It is a philanthropic endeavor by a wealthy Debian (Mark Shuttleworth). He became rich and wanted to put out a free Debian based OS. He isn't looking to became "richer" or to "take out" Bill Gates.

P.S. Feel free to edit my answers to fit your paper. I know you wanted short answers but I tend to ramble. Good luck with your paper.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by gnaunited View Post

Do you use Ubuntu? Yes

What was your first Ubuntu release? Hoary

Why did you choose Ubuntu?I use Kubuntu actually, but started with the default Gnome desktops
    in prior versions. I was an edgy tester graduate, installed Kubuntu 6.10 using alternate cd.

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? Success is not necessarily the "numbers-game" or "popularity-contest." A successful linux distro is the measure of the end users satisfaction level.

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community? Sure it is, by providing consumers choice in what the market offers. If Linux is offered, the end user wins in the long run.

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? No, open source should be "free-as-beer." Contributions are another topic, however.

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? Another "numbers-game." Growth in the market share is ultimately more reasonable.

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? Out of nearly 20,000 packages offered to a Ubuntu user, am not sure that list of "missing" software products could be very long.
    Cheers!

Would be interested in your project, you have gotten me curious now.
    Pretty much game for anything...............
    Asus A8V-E SE with Athlon AMD64 3200+ 2.0 GHz / XFX GeForce 6800 Xtreme 256MB GDDR3 SLI
    Corsair TwinX (4X512MB) PC3200 DDR 400MHz

Beans

Do you use Ubuntu? Yes

What was your first Ubuntu release? dapper/edgy

Why did you choose Ubuntu? large community support. stable

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? yes

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? actually no. cuz its not the original vision when ubuntu was started.

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? linux in general have taken some of their share. u just have to slice out the ubuntu users from the linux share of the market.

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? if the large community of ubuntu calls for a stable and normally used package, i think they should consider, rather than letting users get from the pool of those free apps, w/c most of the times makes ubuntu crash. and the users will blame not the app, but ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Do you use Ubuntu?
    Yes

What was your first Ubuntu release?
    Warty

Why did you choose Ubuntu?
    It is free-libre software with the non-free bits easily removed. It works well. It is well supported and has a healthy community around it.

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run?
    Yes (If not Ubuntu, then another OS based on free-libre software - Ubuntu is paving the way for free software in that it is breaking new ground and is making compromises to build inroads to the mainstream more than other distributions.)

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community?
    Yes

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system?
    Yes (As needed. If I were to deploy any OS in a production environment, I would pay for support)

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple?

Yes (it is as we speak)

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux?
    No (The Ubuntu community already does this big time. Not that they have to develop desktop apps - it is more up to upstream developers like the Gnome or KDE people to add to the desktop. For the under-the-hood stuff (do you consider this software products?), it's often the distros themselves that do a lot of development; Ex: Upstart, HAL, security updates, the list goes on and on...)

I added a lot of comments to your Yes/No questions - sorry.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast