View Poll Results: Has this thread been helpful?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

92 76.03%
  • No

11 9.09%
  • Somewhat

18 14.88%
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Backup with Partimage

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Howto: Backup with Partimage

0. Prerequisites:
    REMARK: The credit goes to user "Frank Golden" whose thread I have taken as a reference in the first place.

1. Boot from RESCUE CD & type:
    • Create mount-point:
      mkdir /backup
    • Checking partition tables:
      fdisk -l
    • Mount backup partition; xxxx stands for your partition that serves as a backup device (e.g. hda1, sda1):
      mount /dev/xxxx /backup
    • Start Partimage:
      partimage
    2.1. Backing up (screenshot 1):
    • Choose partition you want to backup.
    • Type "Image file to create/use":
      /backup/your_backup_file
    • Choose "Action to be done" = "Save partition into a new image file".
    • Press F5.
    2.2. Backing up (screenshot 2):
    • Choose "Compression level" = "None".
    • Choose "Image split mode" = "Into files whose size is:...".
    • Select size bigger than your partition in MB (left).
    • Hit F5.

2.3. Backing up (screenshot 3):
    • Enter any description (or leave it blank).
    • Press <enter> to continue.

2.4. Finalizing backup:
    • Hit <enter> when prompted to confirm backup size, disk space, etc.
    • That's it!

IMPORTANT NOTE: When I used "Compression level" Gzip to compress my backup file I was unable to restore it later on. I cannot remember the exact error message, but I have avoided it ever since. When backing up your data, I recommend to use option A which is "None" (no compression). It's also the faster option.

3.1. Restoring (screenshot 4):
    • Select partition to restore.
    • Type "Image file to create/use" (note the extension .000):
      /backup/your_backup_file.000
    • Choose "Action to be done" = "Restore partition from an image file".
    • Press F5.

3.2. Restoring (screenshot 5):
    • Select "Options" = "Simulation of the restoration..." in order to test your backup file. I highly recommend this extra step. Leave it blank to go ahead without simulation.
    • Hit F5.

3.3. Finalizing restoring:
    • Confirm all remaining operations with <enter> when prompted.

Partimage has been fairly reliable so far (well, except for the mentioned issue with GZip compression) but I appreciate if anybody else can contribute ideas & comments. Should I have left out important (or less important) step, please drop me a line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Partimage (1).png 
Views:	1590 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	18419   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Partimage (2).png 
Views:	949 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	18420   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Partimage (3).png 
Views:	751 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	18421   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Partimage (4).png 
Views:	776 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	18422   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Partimage (5).png 
Views:	724 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	18423  

Last edited by wieman01; May 29th, 2008 at 01:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Howto: Backup with Partimage

Is it possible to save the image over a network, either to a Windows machine or separate Ubuntu install using Samba?

I have both on my other system, XP and Ubuntu (though not dual boot as I don't want the mess that GRUB/LILO can make of things - so I've got them on separate drives and use my BIOS to select the boot drive for each OS - nice and clean!)

I've noticed from some screenshots there is a network option - is it really that simple?

I'm downloading the Rescue CD now using wget, and will try it out....just wondered if what I want to try is possible.

Thanks wieman [you're everywhere fella! ]
    "My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention." - Hedley Lamarr
    Lenovo T500 2243-4EG

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I created a very similiar tutorial to this, too, detailing how to use it from a Ubuntu Desktop CD (the SystemRescue CD is ideal, of course, though--that way you don't have to install PartImage first):
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partimage

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've seen your Psychocats tutorial...it's very good...but I wonder if when I type:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    ...why is it that it doesn't show my network drives as well? Should it?

Maybe Samba isn't setup right.
    Last edited by tedrogers; November 14th, 2006 at 10:00 PM.
    "My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention." - Hedley Lamarr
    Lenovo T500 2243-4EG

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tedrogers View Post
    I've seen your Psychocats tutorial...it's very good...but I wonder if when I type:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    ...why is it that it doesn't show my network drives as well? Should it?

Maybe Samba isn't setup right.
    Honestly, I don't know much about networking or networked drives. I'm hoping someone else will jump in and answer that question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've spent my evening so far trying to get the networking working normally....mind you...I am trying this over wireless which could be difficult.

Plus, I have noticed, that both my Ubuntu installs have exactly the same 'computer names' which can't be a good thing....clash clash clash!

So, when I get the chance I will try getting the networking running using a wired LAN config first....then we'll see.

Anyway...good news is that the linux-rescue CD iso works! That is, I suppose, a step in the right direction.

So, any ideas how I might change the computer name 'after' the install process?

Cheers.
    Lenovo T500 2243-4EG

Beans
    Distro

Not sure what you are referring to as computer names, but this is slightly off-topic so let's talk about that in another thread.

To answer your question: Yes, in principle this would also work over a network. But you would have to install NFS or Samba and mount the share drives not dissimilar to what is mentioned in the howto. The process would look like this:

1. Boot Live CD / Rescue CD.
    2. Startup (wireless) networking.
    3. Install Samba/NFS server on remote machine.
    4. Install Samba/NFS client on local machine (that you are trying to backup).
    5. Create mount point & mount shared driver on remote machine.

I am sure you can do that with either the Ubuntu Live CD or the Rescue CD, however, it seems a lot of steps for a simple backup. I usually prefer to store the backup files on the local harddrives first, then copy them to my backup server after restarting & booting my normal Ubuntu install.

Hope this helps. For networking, NFS & Samba I suggest that you open a new thread or read some of the corresponding howtos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

One other thing I'm not sure of, because I'm still trying to understand (and remember!) Linux partitioning...is if I only backup /hda1 (SYSTEM) [and it looks like partimage will only let me backup one partition at a time] what happens to /hda2 (SWAP) and /hda5 (EXT3). Do I have to back these up seperately?

Or are these stored in say the MBR or something so that when I restore /hda1, the /hda2 and /hda5 partitions are restored but without any data in them.
    Last edited by tedrogers; April 13th, 2009 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Spotted a typo and corrected
    Lenovo T500 2243-4EG

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tedrogers View Post
    One other thing I'm not sure of, because I'm still trying to understand (and remember!) Linux partitioning...is if I only backup /dha1 (SYSTEM) [and it looks like partimage will only let me backup one partition at a time] what happens to /hda2 (SWAP) and /hda5 (EXT3). Do I have to back these up seperately?

Or are these stored in say the MBR or something so that when I restore /hda1, the /hda2 and /hda5 partitions are restored but without any data in them.
    You need to backup & restore each partition separately. So you need to go through the procedure for each data partition that you have with one exception: SWAP. There is no point in making a backup of SWAP of course.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So when I restored again...I would need to create a swap partition of the same/similar size I am using currently?

I just tried to make a backup of my partition now using the above guide and I hit a snag...I think the problem is that I was trying to backup to same partition that is mounted (i.e. /hda1)....so is this not possible and do I need to create a new partition to store my backup onto? Something other than /hda1?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by tedrogers; November 15th, 2006 at 11:06 PM.
    Lenovo T500 2243-4EG

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast