Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: kdelibs package is broken in hoary

Beans

kdelibs package is broken in hoary

Hi, just did a dist-upgrade in hoary, and it seems that the package kdelibs is broken. Unmet dependencies, it says. The problem is that now, i cant do dist-upgrade again. Seems like i need to fix that package first, and i have no idea how to.

You guys got it too?
    Last edited by Biffy; April 22nd, 2005 at 01:26 AM.

Beans

Re: kdelibs package is broken in hoary

Quote Originally Posted by Biffy
    Hi, just did a dist-upgrade in hoary, and it seems that the package kdelibs is broken. Unmet dependencies, it says. The problem is that now, i cant do dist-upgrade again. Seems like i need to fix that package first, and i have no idea how to.

You guys got it too?
    same for me here, I just downgraded to the normal hoary version. Sooner or later that package will be fixed.

Beans

Yes, but you cant upgrade your system when you have a broken package. I cant do that here.

But i tried running apt-get dist-upgrade -f

There is one upgrade, but when trying to install it says that dpkg returned an error message.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Same problem here.
    It's sad that apt-get cannot handle this.

We cannot install/remove anything because of this package

How can I downgrade kdelibs ?
    Last edited by gaboo; April 22nd, 2005 at 05:28 PM.

Beans

You could just hold the package:

aptitude hold kdelibs-data

You just have to remember to unhold it (by installing it, for instance) when it gets fixed.

Beans

How to hold a package in synaptic? And, are you sure that it is kdelibs-data that should be put on hold? kdelibs is the package that is broken.

I just tried upgrading kdelibs-data again but got the same error message.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Biffy
    And, are you sure that it is kdelibs-data that should be put on hold? kdelibs is the package that is broken.
    Then I guess we're getting different errors. I get:
    Code:
    Unpacking replacement kdelibs-data ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.4.0-0ubuntu3.1_all.deb (--unpack):
     trying to overwrite `/usr/share/icons/default.kde', which is also in package knetworkconf
    which I could fix manually, but it's not a big deal. You could also just change the version. In aptitude, you just hit enter when you have the package selected and select the version at the bottom of the page. In synaptic, you can choose Package->Force Version.

I don't know how to hold packages in synaptic--I don't use it.

Beans

Code:
    Preconfiguring packages ...
    (Läser databasen ... 144089 filer och kataloger installerade.)
    Förbereder att ersätta kdelibs-data 4:3.4.0-0ubuntu3 (med .../kdelibs-data_4%3a3.4.0-0ubuntu3.1_all.deb) ...
    Packar upp ersättande kdelibs-data ...
    dpkg: fel vid hantering av /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.4.0-0ubuntu3.1_all.deb (--unpack):
     försöker skriva över "/usr/share/icons/default.kde" som också finns i paketet knetworkconf
    Fel uppstod vid hantering:
     /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.4.0-0ubuntu3.1_all.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    Thats my error message, looks like the same error you get. I got Swedish language.

So, kdelibs needs kdelibs-data3.1 to work, but the installed version is 3.0 . If i choose to force version, i can choose between 3.0 or 3.1 . If i choose 3.1 , i get the same error message.

Will Ubuntu-team fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I can't understand how apt-get works. I'm new to using it.

I know kdelibs package is currently broken. Well, I just have to wait untill it's fixed.

I can understand that packages depending on it cannot be installed.
    But why a packages which have nothing to do with kdelibs can't be installed ? It's very frustrating : because of this bug, I can't remove or add any other packages, I keep having the same error.

Or I am just too newbie ?
    I tried to hold the packages. Same error.

Beans

Right. The intention of my advice to force version was to force it to 3.0. Clearly, the security update isn't quite ready (particularly since it isn't listed as a security update yet). If you do force the version, you would have to do so for kdelibs and kdelibs-data, I assume.

For aptitude, just run aptitude, search for kdelibs-data (/kdelibs-data<enter>), put it on hold (=), go to the next broken package (b), which will be kdelibs, press enter, go to the end of the page and select (+) the 4:3.4.0-0ubuntu3 package. This will downgrade kdelibs after you install it (g). Then, search for kdelibs, and put it on hold (=). Now you can install anything else you want.

Under synaptic, I imagine you just force the version to the ubuntu3 for kdelibs-data and kdelibs packages and install them, and you'll be done.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast