Thread: Lean Mean Ubuntu KDE Machine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Lean Mean Ubuntu KDE Machine

Background:
    Kubuntu has never worked for me, It is slow and sluggish, maybe also neglected compared to Ubuntu and Xubuntu. Non apt based KDE Ditros are a pain, Mepis makes too many modifications including the kernel and is difficult to maintain using apt/synaptic. The only solution seems customize your own KDE machine.

Who should try this:
    I am no Linux expert. Infact this is my first post on these forums. I have used Linux only for a year as my primary OS. I am not comfortable yet with CLI. If I can do it anyone can!

Credit where its due
    Sunrat on Debian forums wrote this post, which gave me the courage to try this out

Enough blah blah....

1. Download the server install CD for your machine, burn it, install it. Since I am a web developer, the server install gives me a local web development environment. If you do not need the server you may not install the packages. The install gives you an installation without X or any DE.

2. On logging in in your CLI enviorment, first update your mysql root password if you have installed servers

Code:
    mysqladmin -u root password NEWPASSWORD
    3. Perform Upgrade

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    4. Install X

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xorg xorg-dev
    5. Install KDE and other essentials

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kde-core alsa-base alsa-utils synaptic kdm build-essential
    6. Reboot, Your machine will present you with KDM for GUI login. Login

7. Install Apps & Utilities

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kdeaddons-kfile-plugins kdegraphics ttf-bitstream-vera konq-plugins kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins kicker-applets ark bzip2 p7zip-full unzip unrar mozilla-thunderbird firefox gimp inkscape gqview imagemagick quanta kompare cervisia kword kedit keep kdf kdict kget knemo krename ksysv ktux kuser
    8. Install mutimedia support and apps

Code:
    wget -q http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/medibuntu-key.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
    sudo wget http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/sources.list.d/feisty.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install k3b cdrdao dvd+rw-tools kaffeine kaffeine-mozilla amarok w32codecs flac libdvdcss2 ffmpeg mozplugger easytag kaudiocreator kmix
    9. Install Headers

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    10. Install your Graphics Card Drivers

For Nvidia: Download the latest driver into your home folder, Close X and Install

Code:
    sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8776-pkg1.run
    For Other Cards: You are on your own

11. Install Java

Code:
    sudo apt-get install sun-java5-jre sun-java5-plugin
    12. Install Goodies

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kwin-style-crystal kscreensaver-xsavers xscreensaver xscreensaver-gl
    13. More Goodies
    Add deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/3v1deb dapper 3v1n0 to your /etc/apt/sources.list
    Code:
    wget http://download.tuxfamily.org/3v1deb/DD800CD9.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install libdivxdecore0 libdivxencore0 flashplugin-nonfree gtk2-engines-gtk-qt qtcurve qtcurve-gtk2
    14. All thats left is to install mp3 support. The quickest way in Feisty is to open an mp3 file using Amarok.

The installation is complete. Its lean and faster than Ubuntu and its KDE!!
    Last edited by ranjandatta; April 13th, 2007 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Removed a few packages that were not needed

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Lean Mean Ubuntu KDE Machine

Thank you. I was looking for something just like this.

I will let you know how it works for me.

I'm tired of all the extra crap that kubuntu-desktop includes that I never use. I'd rather install stuff as I need it. After all, it's only a repository away...

"There are only two industries that refer to their customers as 'users'."
    - Edward Tufte

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

How did it go?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ranjandatta View Post
    How did it go?
    Well, My desktop is running Dapper, and my Laptop runs Edgy. So, I'm waiting for a final Feisty release to use your tips. I'll be installing it on both machines.

I will definitely let you know how it goes when Feisty is released. I will probably do the installs that weekend.

Thanks again!
    - Edward Tufte

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I'm a relatively new Kubuntu user.

So far I like it a lot better than Ubuntu--mostly because I like the standard apps more. It has more of an OS X iLife-type feel to it, IMHO. I personally haven't noticed any real speed differences between the two. Perhaps it's b/c my computer is only a year old.

As I said...I'm pretty new at this, so I was wondering how does this make k/ubuntu "faster" instead of just "smaller." How would this be different than installing Kubuntu than just removing the applications and associated files you don't want? Would doing that make things faster, or just free up HD space?

Thanks...I haven't tried the guide, but it looks very well written. Good job.

Beans

Yes it makes it faster.

Thanks for this guide. I've been playing with server installs. I ended up prefering to use kde-core on top. Your guide helped me out quite a bit. I picked out what I needed on my system and just installed that.

Now I'm thinking of removing kdm and using something smaller to auto-login.

Beans

Here's my Feisty install. It gives me the basics, on top of which I can install any other programs I need. I use kdebase instead of kde-core because it's smaller and I don't need everything in kde-core. I like Feisty's video card driver and multimedia installs from Add Remove Programs and Restricted Manager. This gets my video card and every kind of streaming video working easily.

1. Command line install from alternate install CD.

2. Get X and KDE

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install xorg

sudo apt-get install kdebase kdm

3. Type startx to get into KDE and then install video card driver

sudo apt-get install restricted-manager

sudo restricted-manager (runs it so you can install your video card drivers, ATI or Nvidia).

4. Reboot and Install Multimedia Support

sudo apt-get install firefox (I get the fasterfox extension too)

sudo apt-get install gnome-app-install (this is Add Remove Programs)

Install Ubuntu Restricted Extras with Add Remove Programs (guide) (this is java, flash, etc.)

Follow Medibuntu guide for DVD and W32 codecs.

sudo apt-get install mplayer

Install MPlayer plugin for Mozilla with Add Remove Programs

5. Get email program

sudo apt-get install mozilla-thunderbird

Done.
    Last edited by pelikan; April 19th, 2007 at 10:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro

heya guys, I've got mine working pretty well, but I want to get the default kubuntu KDM and splash artwork installed. I found a package which I think has these things, but I cannot install it now as I am at school on my laptop, and my new feisty setup is on my desktop at home. Feisty goes on the lappy tonight.

Can anyone please verify for me that this is the package which contains the artwork I am searching for? Also, if this is the correct package, what else does it install? What are the "settings" to which it refers?

Code:
    kubuntu-default-settings          - Default settings and artwork for the Kubuntu desktop
    Thank you!

EDIT:
    I found the list of files which this package contains. It seems that it IS the package which I am seeking.
    list of files here.
    Last edited by nrwilk; April 20th, 2007 at 09:12 PM.
    - Edward Tufte

Beans

great post, just tried it and it was successful, thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok...works great here...just a small question...how do i set up the network (gateway, route, dns...etc.) ...i had something on my standard kubuntu install...but I'm unable to find anything now!!!

And just a tip...kubuntu.org explains how to use adept for importing signature files...maybe newbies will find it easyer instead of using the konsole(I can't find any such function with synaptic)!!!
    Last edited by sad_iq; June 15th, 2007 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Tip added!!!