Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: play Unreal Tournament GOTY in Edgy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How To: play Unreal Tournament GOTY in Edgy

Okay, things appear to have changed a bit in edgy, or the loki installer has changed, one or the other. (This works in Gutsy, too. I have no idea about Hardy, because it's unstabler than a 19 year old Alabama 3rd grader in a dui tank)

So if you are like me, and think Unreal Tournament is the best game ever made, and have to have it playable on any machine, and freaked when you tried it in Edgy, here's how you do it.

Well, first off, make sure it's installed:

Get this download: http://www.liflg.org/?catid=6&gameid=51 (actually, chose which one, depending on if you have ut or utgoty) I put it in my /home/myname/ to run it. Go ahead and put cd one in right now so it will be mounted.

If you put the file anywhere other than /home/yourname/, the open terminal, and cd /tothedirectoryouputitin. (good practice: always put stuff in /home/you/ when you have to install them. delete them later. Terminal defaults to that directory, so it's easier that way)

Type
    Code:
    sh unreal.tournament_436-multilanguage.goty.run
    and then install ut.

Now you will notice, once all is done, that

Code:
    cd /home/myfolder/ut
    then
    Code:
    ut
    won't work.

Thanks to DarkSim, we have a neat solution to this.

From the terminal, type

Code:
    cd /home/yourname/ut
    then

Code:
    gedit playut
    press enter

paste this into it, and save:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

cd /home/bill/ut

bash ut
    now close gedit, and in the terminal, type:

Code:
    chmod 755 playut
    Now you can use that file to launch ut.

Click on your launch bar on your desktop, and create a link to it (there's a ut icon in ~/ut to use).

Here's how to make a ut cleaner:

Open text editor, and copy and paste the following in to it:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    cd ~/Cache || exit 1 # change this to your UT user dir
    if [ -f cache.ini ] ; then
    {
    export utdir="/home/bill/.loki/" # change this to your main UT folder
    gawk -F= ' 
    utdir = "${utdir}"
    function moveit(targ)
    {
    print "mv -v "$1".uxx" " " utdir targ substr($2, 1, length($2)-1) | "sh";
    }
    {
    if(match($2,".unr")) moveit("Maps/");
    else if(match($2,".utx")) moveit("Textures/");
    else if(match($2,".uax")) moveit("Sounds/");
    else if(match($2,".umx")) moveit("Music/");
    else if(match($2,".u")) moveit("System/");
    }
    END { close("sh") }' cache.ini
    rm *.uxx cache.ini
    }
    fi;
    if [ -f $utdir"System/De.u" ]; then rm $utdir"System/De.u" ;fi  
    if [ -f $utdir"System/de.u" ]; then rm $utdir"System/de.u" ;fi
    # end script
    Notice this: /home/bill/.loki/ . Change according to your personal set up.

Save in /home/you/ as utcleaner. Notice all the pretty colors that the text changed to? This means something important, but I am a total noob, so it's above my pay grade, therefore there's no telling what it means.

Open terminal, and type this:

Code:
    chmod +x utcleaner
    (or chmod 755 utcleaner if +x doesn't work for you)

The file utcleaner is now executable.

To run it, from terminal, type

Code:
    ./utcleaner
    Better yet, put that baby in your ~/ut folder, then create a launcher for it.

Thanks to tjotser for telling me about ut-bin.

anyone know how to make a launcher for this, please share...

Edit:

a recap, install it all, put the utcleaner file in /home/yourname/ut then to play, just

cd /home/yourname/ut
    bash ut

once the game's over, then

./utcleaner

and your cache is moved.

anybody figure out how to make a launcher for this that works?
    Last edited by BLTicklemonster; May 16th, 2008 at 03:20 AM. Reason: added playt starter

Beans
    Distro

Re: How To: play Unreal Tournament GOTY in Edgy

And if you want to install umods, use this program: http://ut.abfackeln.com/asu.html?page=install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

will this work for dapper too

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, sorry, it works in Breezy, also, come to think of it.

Hey, I noticed you were having problems, I guess you got it working?

If you did and want to check out some really insane stuff, come to our server at 67.19.84.40 some time. We have a lot of different mods on there. Map vote shows them in the center of the window. Choose the ZarkArms/BatWings on a large out door map if you want to see something that will blow you away. To fly, just jump, and press crouch (for an added boost, doubletap, then press crouch).

If you see me in there holler!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

yeah, i got it working but when I installed the glx-compiz and updated to the 686 kernel is started crashing on me and when I tried to reinstall it won't do it anymore, but when I get it going, i'll swing by your server and check it out

Beans
    Distro

I don't know about any of you, but UT in Edgy won't start the normal way. I used to could go to /home/me/ut and there was a file named ut that I could double click on, and the game would launch.

Not in Edgy. Now I have to go to /home/bill/ut/System and find the file ut-bin.

How to correct this?

In the terminal

Code:
    gedit /home/me/ut/ut
    Then in gedit, you can click on search>replace, then where it says, "Search for:" type in ./loki then click on "Replace All" save it, and now you can double click on that and start the game.

One less folder to navigate to, and it's easier to write a launcher for that than it is for ut-bin. And this is how you do that for a desktop launcher:

Right click on your desktop, and go to Create Launcher, go to Name and put Unreal Tournament (or Best Game Evar) then go to Command: and type in

Code:
    sh -c /home/bill/ut/ut
    then click close. A new icon will appear on your desktop (which can be changed, of course, see the attached thumbnail for the one I use). You can now double click that to launch UT. (Save that icon to perhaps /home/me then click on icon in the create launcher window, and navigate to the /home/me folder and use that picture if you like it. I think just about any .png file will work. I don't think size is that big a deal, either as the image is resized when it is used as an icon, so play around with some stuff in gimp and perhaps you can use Xan's head as a ut launch icon!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I have a step for step walk through posted on my clan forum website, which is specific to Ubuntu 64bit. I'm also using the accelerated UTGLR GL library. The game runs as smooth as I've ever seen it, and with the UTGLR piece the graphics can be made a bit brighter too. Thanks for the cache collecting script, I'll make some use of that. I don't play Zark, but I do a lot of 155/55 LGI.

Now, does anyone know how to set up a UT99 or UT2004 server on a linksys slug (NSLU2)? Probably not possible?

http://www.goodbull.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=52

Beans
    Distro

By slug, I take it you mean a router? I've gotten our router set up one time to allow UT to be played online, but it refuses to let me use my computer. Rather my son's has to be used on another connection. www.unrealadmin.org I think that's the link... you can go there. They have a linux specific forum for server admins.

So ah, the ogl thing you speak of sounds good. I'll have to go check that one out. Thanks for the link. I guess you're from beyond unreal, right?

*edit:

Sweet renderer, thanks!
    Last edited by BLTicklemonster; November 19th, 2006 at 09:47 PM.

Beans

I also ran into alot of other older games that didn't work due to edgy's sh being linked to dash instead of bash.

I got sick of it so I

sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash
    and selected "no" and everything is working great. This also worked with some packages that were failing to compile too. I haven't run into any problems with it yet. The only thing I have heard about the switch in sh link, is dash runs faster. But I don't know enough about it to give any insight.

But thanks for the alternative!

Beans
    Distro

Well, you see what you did is what one would do if one know wtf they were doing, see. What I did is what one would do if one were to muddle about all willy nilly trying to do what one can do with little useful kn- bah, lmao. I wondered when someone would come along and say something helpful! Nothing like reinventing the wheel to get people to show you a BMW. Thanks!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast