Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gNewSense

Beans

gNewSense

just announced (http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...61102083226821)

this is interesting, the comments at the bottom of the page are pretty negative though. i hope there isn't any negative vibes from the ubuntu community about this distribution like there are in the comments of that page. i for one think this is a great fork of ubuntu for those who are interested.

i would like to hear what people are thinking about this though.

Beans

Re: gNewSense

I think it's ridiculous. But that's just me.

The main thing that makes it free is the fact that it removes the ability to use Ubuntu's "restricted" and "multiverse" repoisitories. So their primary achievement is to take an entirely free distro and remove functionality, plus put more GNU tools in the stock install. Yay freedom.

EDIT: They are, of course, free to do that. But it's a serious waste of manpower just for bragging rights.
    Last edited by Anthem; November 3rd, 2006 at 04:47 AM.

I think it's great. I applaud anyone who puts in that amount of time and work to follow an ideal.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

This seems like a slap in the face to Debian.

Anyways does this mean no GNUbuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!

I think it is GREAT! What is so wrong with taking something that is good and adding/removing what you do not agree with or accept and making something new?

Beans

Now, all they need is good artwork and they'll be all set!

Beans

Official discussion seems to be here:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=292794

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think it's great. I only use GNU/Linux because of the freedom aspect. I don't support the separate "open source" movement particularly because it only focuses on making the software technically better. Not all free/open source software is technically better than proprietary software, and it has various disadvantages for doing so, such as it being harder to make money from it. For example, Microsoft Office is better than OpenOffice.org technically, though I hope OOo catches up soon because it's the only one of the two that I use, because I have the freedom to use it how I want to, and the developers respect me. I also hope that all software that gives me that freedom becomes technically better than their proprietary counterparts.

I think the general Ubuntu philosophy is pretty good because it's close to the general freedom message, by being based on sharing and "humanity towards others", rather than purely some technical benefits over proprietary software, or more likely cost benefits, which other GNU/Linux distributions are usually based on. However, I prefer to support the stance gNewSense takes which is the same as the Free Software Foundation (not distributing or recommending any proprietary software). I think it'd be good if there was an official Ubuntu distribution with the same goals, such as the planned Gnubuntu/Ubuntu-libre, because it'd make its development easier. But never mind.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yea, non-free software seems to go against the Ubuntu philosophy. Some would say otherwise.

At least we have gNewSense!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well, when all the face slapping is done, and everyone stops to rub their glowing sore faces, all these distributions and forks will still be around serving whatever communities want to use it.

Trying to stop it is like trying to stop a local deli from opening up down the street, or keeping a kid from starting a paper route. People do what they do because they want it.

The problem I see is people wanting to stop others from pursuing what they want. You don't have the right to grant or deny it. Great ideas come from enterprises like gNewSense, Ubuntu, Debian, etc. People just hate change, but you can't stop the change.
    How to install and run Photoshop 7 or earlier in wine
    Switched to Linux completely 1 January 2007 Ahh, a solid year of freedom
    My Website

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast