Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ubuntu Posters advertised on the front page - REPRINTED!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The Ubuntu Posters advertised on the front page - REPRINTED!!!

UPDATE: Posters are back! Good news - I will always have posters, as many as you might want. Please check https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTea...PriceListJenda for details on prices.

Hello forum community,

You may have noticed that there is an 'ad' for Ubuntu Posters on the main page. Some people here might be opposed to ads, and it's a touchy subject because there is money involved... MY money

So, I'd like to describe this project a little bit.

I invested several hundred dollars into those posters, the artwork for which has been created by the forums' very own Hannes Pasqualini, or HanZo. Now, I'm selling them for $1 each plus shipping. Also, for every poster these forums sell, I'm donating another $1 to them, so in effect, the price here is $2 apiece. I want you all to know where your money is going, so I made this following taxative explanation.

--direct expenses--
    1) $1 per poster is a donation to the forums. $98.44 donated altogether. This has paid for next year's vBulletin licence, and for our DNS hosting. Thank you very much, people.
    2) 74¢ per poster is the production cost. $384 altogether.
    3) 7.4¢ per poster is my cut (don't laugh, I have a good reason to
    take a cut, even if it's symbolic) - this makes $38.4 in theory, in reality ended up at about $30. Thank you

--other expenses--
    1) Unpaid for shipments, other unexpected losses. (Unknown, presumably none)
    2) My own expenses, such as packaging paper, accounting expenses etc. (This seems to be about $10 till now)

--leftovers--
    $220 Left over for these purposes. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
    1) Used to fund marketing projects of my own, such as this one (if you
    look around the forums, you will probably see it when I start something - so far, $60 has been spent on stickers, who's sales should make them up quite nicely)
    2) Used to fund other marketing project which I deem worthwhile.
    3) Once I decide I won't find a good way to use the earned cash, I will
    start donating to Ubuntu, ubuntuforums.org, the Czech LoCo Team, other
    LoCo Teams, etc, as I see fit (depending on how much each project has helped with this, and how much each needs the cash.

Now, on another note, if you'd like to order, I greatly prefer direct paypal payments to jenda@ubuntu.com. If you prefer credit/debit card payments, however, I can accept these, but on my premier account - jenda.vancura@gmail.com. Since a premier account charges me for the payments, I'll ask all that choose that method to send $26.20 instead of $25. Thank you very much
    Last edited by Jenda; April 11th, 2007 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Update
    This message was brought to you by dvorak!
    Visit us on IRC as well: #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: The Ubuntu Posters advertised on the front page

One more thing. They will come in a tight roll - and will need some flattening before they can be hanged.
    Please excuse that, it's impossible to ship them flat (unless you'd order like 200).

On a side note, I've only got 270 left.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

One more thing:

If you don't want to buy the posters, you can print them out yourself!

You can even translate/redraw/change to your liking. All the sources are available under the GPL licence or similar, here:

http://doc.ubuntu.com/~marketing/DIY...01,%20Posters/

Beans

I think it'd be okay for you to raise the price a little. Not just so that you get a bigger cut, but so that you have more money to work with in the future. I mean, if I read correctly you're selling them for $1? I would gladly spend between 5-10 bucks on a poster, if I was only buying one. Great job on these posters, I applaud your work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

My cut is set at 10% of the poster's price. Now if you're willing to spend more - feel free to All extra cash will be used as described, and I expect some to come. In fact, most people give 'tips'.
    The entire point is to offer accessible marketing material, and thus I try to keep the prices rock bottom. This is an exception, because ubuntu-geek very kindly offered the ad up there, so I charge more to donate to the forums.
    This way, poorer people can help spread Ubuntu in their area too, and those who can afford more can give more to support the project

Thanks for the support, maniacmusician. It helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I'd really love to buy one. The payment system however puts me off the idea.

Now if there was a checkout product setup with SSL or around those lines with paypal then it would be easy to go ahead and do such. Paypals security alone scares me a lot after those fraud incidents with Ebay last year.

Ebay had a security hole with the data tunnel that leaked credit card information to several hundred people.

You can see why I don't trust it.

Beans

Jenda, when you meant "premium gmail account", where you talking about Google Checkout? I've heard that's quite reliable, and I'm sure users here like Patrick K. may be more comfortable with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I also support the bank-note-in-an-envelope type of payment, if it suits you better
    Ultimately, you can use bank account transfers. There are cheaper ways of doing that, but I don't know how it works, exactly. I know people who paid me that way, and paid less than a euro for it, and I know some that didn't, because they would have to pay about €10.

However, paypal has been working like a charm so far, and I see no reason not to trust it. It's $10-$30 we're talking about, not millions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

maniacmusician, no, it's a premier paypal account. I don't use google checkout. I will only start if I really have to. ATM, I already have a lot of work to keep up with it all

Beans

yeah, understandable I was just curious. And actually, I read somewhere that for the holiday season, google was offering the checkout service for free (i guess they usually charge the sellers) or at least at a really low price. It is definitely a pain to keep up with various modes of payment though. You already have, what 3?

question; you're planning on doing this again sometime in the future right? I'm unable to purchase one atm, but if you're doing it again sometime next year, I most likely will.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast