Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox Logo

Beans

Firefox Logo

Can anyone write a step-by-step guide on how to get the proper Firefox logo onto Firefox?? I know we can't bundle the icon with the distribution due to the dodgy Mozilla copyrights on it but is anything stopping us adding it in afterwards??

Beans

Re: Firefox Logo

Download installer from The Mozilla Foundation's web site (here), apt-get remove the Ubuntu package, extract the package you downloaded (tar xvzf firefox-1.0.3.installer.tar.gz), move to the directory that was just created (cd firefox-installer) and execute firefox-installer (./firefox-installer).

After the installiation, all your settings should be just as they were. If you installed 1.0.3 to some other directory than where the previous version of Firefox was before, you might want to do the following:
    1. System -> Preferences -> Preferred Applications. Insert the location of firefox executable to custom command form and add %s after that.
    2. Create a new symlink to /usr/bin to point the new location of new executable.
    3. Fix the location of the executable to the icons that already exist and point to the old firefox executable.
    4. apt-pin the mozilla-firefox package, so it won't get downloaded even if you do apt-get upgrade etc.

Why all that hassle? First of all, you get the long-desired Firefox logo. 1.0.3 is a bit safer than the package provided by Ubuntu, too.

BTW, If you know a decent and easy way to change the logo, you should add the answer to ubuntuguide or how-to section. This question has been asked so many times...
    Last edited by artnay; April 26th, 2005 at 05:24 PM.
    Linux user since -98, Ubuntu user since -04.

Beans
    Hidden!

He just wanted the logo . I uploaded it for you for you here:
    [URL=http://www.imageshack.us]
    Name that logo mozilla-firefox.png and save another copy with a .xpm extension , so once you have
    mozilla-firefox.png and mozilla-firefox.xpm, copy them to /usr/share/pixmaps [need root access] and log in/out . If you have other themes, you would have to go to /usr/share/icons/ and copy those files to your theme directory [with their proper names].
    Last edited by bored2k; April 29th, 2005 at 12:13 AM.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Hidden!

bored-- that only changes the launcher doesn't it?-- the plain globe is everywhere else.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by panickedthumb
    bored-- that only changes the launcher doesn't it?-- the plain globe is everywhere else.
    That's correct :-\. I was going to say it changes everything, but I just remembered I downloaded the .sh from mozilla.org.

To get the full effect I believe you'd have to go to
    /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/icons
    /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/chrome/icons/default
    and paste your custom icon there.

BTW is another firefox png.
    Last edited by bored2k; April 29th, 2005 at 12:14 AM.
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans

Talking Re: Firefox Logo

Woo, this is exactly what I was after! Thanks a lot - I'm trying it out now, would it be worth putting together a HOWTO for it? I think a lot users would do it if they knew how... I missed the beloved Firefox logo!

Edit: Just logged back in and it works perfectly! Thanks, that was a lot easier than I thought it might be... I'll make a quick HOWTO later on, as long as we're sure this isn't breaking any of Mozilla Foundation copyrights on it?? What license does the logo have anyway?
    Last edited by Sionide; April 26th, 2005 at 10:10 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Sionide
    Woo, this is exactly what I was after! Thanks a lot - I'm trying it out now, would it be worth putting together a HOWTO for it? I think a lot users would do it if they knew how... I missed the beloved Firefox logo!

Edit: Just logged back in and it works perfectly! Thanks, that was a lot easier than I thought it might be... I'll make a quick HOWTO later on, as long as we're sure this isn't breaking any of Mozilla Foundation copyrights on it?? What license does the logo have anyway?
    It's not like your distributing the logo or anything, after all, its your computer, you can do as you please. Maybe I could help you make a more clear way to do this for the How-to [it's your idea, you should do it] .

Beans

Yeah, but if I upload the logos to the gallery for others to download? Is that then distributing?? I dunno, I think the dodgy licence (license?) on the logo is pretty silly anyway. Okay, I'll do it, feedback will be appriciated..

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Sionide
    Yeah, but if I upload the logos to the gallery for others to download? Is that then distributing?? I dunno, I think the dodgy licence (license?) on the logo is pretty silly anyway. Okay, I'll do it, feedback will be appriciated..
    You can always upload the logos through imageshack.us. Plus, the hideous logo can be found at mozilla.org anyway. Imageshack-Forums have no connection at all. You can just take my picture links, theyre still active.

Beans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast