Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnome Dock

Beans
    Hidden!

Gnome Dock

http://www.gnome-dock.org/trac/wiki

From what I understand, the project is not actively developed, but what we have for the moment is great. It is prettier than kiba-dock, more functional and also more "OS X-like". It takes more time to customize, but I think it's worth it. Here's how I installed it on Edgy with AIGLX:

1. Install these packages
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install librsvg2-bin librsvg2-common librsvg2-dev libglitz-glx1 libglitz-glx1-dev

2. Make sure you have build-essential to be able to compile cairo.

3. Download Cairo 1.2.6

http://cairographics.org/releases/cairo-1.2.6.tar.gz

4. Install Cairo 1.2.6

Code:
    ./configure --enable-warnings --enable-glitz --disable-quartz --disable-atsui --disable-xcb --disable-win32 --disable-gtk-doc
    Code:
    make
    Code:
    sudo make install
    5. Download cairo-dock

http://www.gnome-dock.org/prerelease...-0.0.1b.tar.gz (doesn't seem to work anymore)
    Try this instead: cairo-dock.tar.gz

6. Extract the tarball in /opt

7. Install cairo-dock

Code:
    make clean
    Code:
    make
    Also, change your virtual vertical size in Beryl from 1 to 2, otherwise it will probably bug. That's a weird fix found by someone in this thread, but it works.

To open the dock, use

Code:
    ./cairo-dock --no-glitz
    To add launchers, play with cairo-dock.c and redo
    Code:
    make
    once you've saved the file.

Also, you'll probably have to change Vertical Virtual Size in Beryl from 1 to 2 to avoid a bug.

At the moment, it only accepts icons in .svg, but it's fairly easy to convert .png to .svg using InkScape. Good luck!

Last edited by GPH; November 21st, 2006 at 02:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Gnome Dock

"make sure you have all the necessary packages to compile".. what do you mean? Oh, I see xgl and compiz, never mind.

Beans
    Hidden!

No, I meant the build-essential packages, but you also need AIGLX/XGL to be able to run this. BTW, does it work for someone else than me ?
    Last edited by GPH; November 20th, 2006 at 03:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

After playing around with beryl for a while, watching things work arbitrarily and not work with clocklike precision, I'm pretty sure that if I have to put any kind of x-""-gl or compiz priz whatever on to use something, I'll just pass. That's a neat looking dock, but it's not worth having to put all that on my computer just for that one look.

Beans
    Hidden!

GPH, do you still have the tarball? I'm interested in playing around with gnome-dock, but it looks like the site is having problems.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jlosch View Post
    GPH, do you still have the tarball? I'm interested in playing around with gnome-dock, but it looks like the site is having problems.
    I didn't have the original tarball, so I made one from my dock folder that also includes the icons that I use. The attachment is in the how-to.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by GPH View Post
    I didn't have the original tarball, so I made one from my dock folder that also includes the icons that I use. The attachment is in the how-to.
    Thanks, that worked great. For some reason, though, I can't seem to get the icons to show up. Only dc++.svg seems to work. I tried changing the file names to absolute paths in cairo-dock.c then recompiling, but no luck. Guess I'll have to play around with it some more.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Kooldock seems to do this and works just fine under Edgy. Very easy to configure and add stuff to.
    Before taking down a fence, it may be a good idea to find out why it was put up.
    Registered Linux User #402142

Beans

But Kooldock and kibadock are all written for kde, using the qt toolkit.

Whereas normal ubuntu users may not want a kde app, loading lots of extra qt libraries.

Or maybe its just me preferring to use gnome apps in gnome and kde apps in kde...
    Using ubuntu offline?
    Want to install new programs?
    Check out wubdepends
    If Stupidity got us into this mess,
    then why can’t it get us out?

Beans
    Hidden!

Ok, I think I figured it out. When you converted the .png files to .svg, Inkscape saved them not as true svg's, but as an svg with an embedded image. From amarok.svg:

Code:
      <image
         xlink:href="/home/guillaume/.icons/OSX/scalable/apps/amarok.png"
         sodipodi:absref="/home/guillaume/.icons/OSX/scalable/apps/amarok.png"
         width="48"
         height="48"
         id="image2293"
         x="0"
         y="0" />
    So for anyone using the tarball from the post, you'll need to find different svg icons.

Otherwise, this how-to works great. Thanks for the files GPH!

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast