Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnome Dock

Beans

Re: Gnome Dock

To prevent other apps to react slowly when moving the mouse over cairo-dock, try starting cairo-dock with "nice ./cairo-dock".

Beans

Hey, So how did you resolve the issue of only being able to see the DC++ icon, I got it all working, looks great but can only get the one icon up. Any pointers or assistance would be great.

thanks.
    Proxima Estacion...Esperanza!!!
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft
    Pentium 3.4, 1GB RAM
    XGL(Beryl), KDE, Gnome

Beans

Sorry, I don't know what you mean.
    There's currently a bug with svg-icons. The original icons have to be 48x48 in size.
    Maybe that's your problem?

Btw: The disadvantage of the nice-solution is that the processes (applications) that are spawned from the dock also run in low priority mode.
    I'll fix both problems this weekend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Mailings lists have been setup. Be sure to check gnome-dock's developers page at http://www.gnome-dock.org/trac/wiki/Develop
    Last edited by xplode_me; January 27th, 2007 at 09:16 PM.

Beans

I think one major improvement to the gnome dock is if windows can be minimized to it, like the taskbar, but only show the icons (maybe a preview?) and the title.

Beans

Managed to do this, great dock. However when I press the show desktop icon, the dock hides. Any ideas how to avoid this ? i.e. show desktop hides all windows except gnome-dock

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi Bravus,

There are 2 lines of code around line numbers 1184 and 1185 that seeemd to have been added recently that is preventing the background from displaying.. Not sure why the lines were added and they seem to have no purpose other than stopping the background from displaying..

The lines are:

Code:
    gboolean autohide = gconf_client_get_bool(gConfClient, "/apps/cairo-dock/autohide", NULL);
    g_bDrawBackground = gconf_client_get_bool(gConfClient, "/apps/cairo-dock/drawBackground", NULL);
    If I comment them out I can see the background again and modifying the relevent lines (288 to 306 - TANGO_COLOR_XXXX)to match the tango.h entries allows one to change the bg colors again.. There seems to be a --no-background tag for the command line for those who do not want the background..

Another problem which I think someone mentioned is the desktop files load randomly and no order file or anything of the sort is allowed or works..

PNG support is great but if you use png files and no svg files the dock does not render correctly.. you must turn on the background to see the effect I speak of.. I did notice though that if you are using a mix of png and svg files and you are lucky enough to get the first icon in the list as a svg the dock renders correctly.. There seems to be some sort of dependency with the svg files in order to render the dock correctly with the background and the corner radius'..

Besides all the other ideas suggested I think the following would be nice..

- The ability to sectionalize the dock and add a seperator ie; (icon) (icon) (icon) | (icon) (icon)
    - The ability to control the zoom level on roll over. I think the current default is too much and couldn't work out how to control it..

Anyone know why the fixed options don't seem to have any effect..

Code:
    static gint g_iWindowWidth = 0; 					// full screen-width
    static gint g_iWindowHeight = 0; 					// 3 * icon-height
    static gint g_iDockWidth = 0; 						// current dock-width
    static gint g_iDockHeight = 0;
    Thanks to all who have been trying to improve upon the dock.. It seems there has been some activity at the website and the mailing list is now working.. I hope the project takes off..

Regards,
    cel...........

Beans

Hi cel,

• think i fixed the png-only problem
    • fixed the gconf-problem (removed the lines)
    • added a MAGNIFICATION variable. change to lower values. I recommend turning off text labels then

Use the latest svn-revision.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the quick response bravus.. Did you incorporate the changes with the ones Karl has done before your update?

Besides posting this here I opened tickets at the trac..

When I change the Magnification setting the dock goes into an infinite loop pegging cpu to 99%.. I must Kill to stop..

I receive the following error on compile:

cairo-dock.c: In function ‘main’:
    cairo-dock.c:1267: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    cairo-dock.c:1270: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type

Code is:

Code:
    	            icon_filename = gtk_icon_info_get_filename (icon_info);
    		        }
    		      } else {
    		        icon_filename = gtk_icon_info_get_filename (icon_info);

I'm trying to get an order file done but my coding skills are very weak with C.. Very sloppy indeed..

Is anyone having a weird issue with Beryl? When I first load the desktop the dock won't unhide.. However when I unload beryl and load metacity as window manager and then reload beryl as the window manager all works fine.. Strange..

Maybe it is because I'm not running Ubunutu?

cel...........
    Last edited by c-e-l; January 28th, 2007 at 09:44 PM. Reason: mis-spelling

Beans

strange. i have intesively experimented with the magnification factor and it never reacted like that.

there's still a bug when using svg-icons with original sizes other than 48x48. I'll fix that one soon.

the errors you get are actually warnings, not errors. Karl added those lines. afaik he's planning to work them over.

also the strange beryl-error didn't occur to me before. I use beryl, too.

adding an ordering feature is less complicated as it looks. but i'd suggest you to wait until Karl and I have done a major code-refactoring. Karl's working on a basic design template for the refactored version.

Bravus.

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast