Thread: Gnome Dock

Beans

Re: Gnome Dock

Quote Originally Posted by RavanH View Post
    Try just installing these:
    http://prdownload.berlios.de/cairo-d...686-32bits.deb
    and
    http://prdownload.berlios.de/cairo-d...686-32bits.deb

IF dependencies are not solved automatically, then try to do them manually...
    Thanks, I finally got it to work following that suggestion.

Beans

for this cairo-dock, how do u set it to keep under windows like the screenlets? sometimes its annoying when it blocks the view of windows, but i don't want to set it to autohide.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by KazukiFlame View Post
    for this cairo-dock, how do u set it to keep under windows like the screenlets? sometimes its annoying when it blocks the view of windows, but i don't want to set it to autohide.
    It is your window manager treating cairo-dock as a panel/dock so it will always be above other windows. To prevent this, try the start-up options cairo-dock --toolbar-hint or cairo-dock --normal-hint and see if any works for you...

Beans

worked like a charm, thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi guys,

I'm still considered a newbie, but do i have to have beryl instlled in order to make this app work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ash4ever View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm still considered a newbie, but do i have to have beryl instlled in order to make this app work?
    If you mean by 'this app' the successor of Gnome Dock called Cairo Dock, then the answer is No. But you DO need some kind of compositor running for transparency to make the dock look like it is supposed to. Without transparency, the dock will work but will always have a black background (and not show either the desktop or any window underneath it) ...

There are several options available and it also depends on your Desktop Environment:
    • If you are using XFCE (Xubuntu) you can use the internal compositor by activating it via Settings > Configuration Manager > Window Manager Tweaks. Click the tab Compositor and activate at least the first option 'Enable Compositing' for transparency to become available.
    • When using KDE (Kubuntu) there seem to be similar options under System Settings -> Desktop -> Window Behavior -> Transparency.
    • When on GNOME (Ubuntu) you will have to install a compositor but you can use xcompmgr if you do not like the extra system load like Beryl or (better) CompizFusion will bring. Do in terminal
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install xcompmgr
      and add a new start-up option in your Sessions list named (for example) Shading and Transparency with the command xcompmgr -c -f -n so it will load on every login.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by RavanH; May 16th, 2008 at 03:27 PM.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334