Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Edgy Howto: Intel 536ep modem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Edgy Howto: Intel 536ep modem

Hi,
    I have updated my old Dapper howto and posted it in a new thread so as to not Bloat the dapper one. If anyone finds any changes please post and I will try to amend.

Modems supported by the Intel536EP driver for Ubuntu Edgy Eft

This page describes how to install the driver for the Intel 536EP internal modem on Ubuntu Edgy for i386 systems. Some of these are sold as Cnet modems and have Ambient chips on board. The process below is quick easy and works quite well. For other older ubuntu versions before Dapper you will additionally require gcc 3.4 to also be installed.

Install required Ubuntu packages

In a terminal type uname -r, which should give you your kernel version ARCH
    You will need to install the build-essential and linux-headers-ARCH packages. They are normally on the install CD and can most easily be installed with Synaptic or downloaded if your PC is on a connected lan or using a serial modem, which does not require drivers.

Download the latest drivers for the Intel536ep modem here:

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/Intel/Philippe.Vouters/intel-536EP-2.56.76.0_21_09_2006.tgz

Save the file, which is named intel-536EP-2.56.76.0_21_09_2006.tgz on your Desktop.

Compiling the driver

Right click on the file and select “Extract to here” This will create directory intel-536EP-2.56.76.0 on your Desktop. Open a terminal window and type:
    cd Desktop/intel-536EP-2.56.76.0
    make clean
    This should produce output looking like this:

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/<usename>/Desktop/intel-536EP-2.56.76.0/coredrv'
    rm -f *.ko .*.o.cmd *.mod.c .*.ko.cmd *.o *~ core Modules.symvers
    rm -rf .tmp_versions make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/<username>/Desktop/intel-536EP-2.56.76.0/coredrv'
    rm -f *.o *.ko

make 536

This will result in many lines of output, the final lines should look like this:
    CC /home/<username>/Desktop/intel-536EP-2.56.76.0/coredrv/Intel536.mod.o
    LD [M] /home/<username>/Desktop/intel-536EP-2.56.76.0/coredrv/Intel536.ko
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.17-10-generic'

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/<username>/Desktop/intel-536EP-2.56.76.0/coredrv'

There should be an
    Intel536.ko file in the directory now; test this by typing
    ls -l Intel536.ko
    The output should look like:
    --rw-r--r-- 1 <username> <username> 1099788 2006-11-13 19:50 Intel536.ko

Installing the driver
    There are two steps to installing the driver. The first is to copy the Intel536.ko file created above to an appropriate directory, and the second is to have the driver loaded every time the PC boots.
    To install the Intel536.ko file, copy the file to the modules directory with this command:
    sudo cp Intel536.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/char
    Make your system aware of this module with depmod:
    sudo depmod -a
    Finally, load the driver with the modprobe command:
    sudo modprobe Intel536
    This command should not print a response; if it prints something like this:
    FATAL: Module Intel536 not found. you have made an error; most likely you have copied the file to the wrong place. If you see a different error message, there may be an error in the module, or your modem, or you may not have a Intel 536-based modem.

Loading the driver at boot time

To load the module at boot time, we need to add a line "Intel536" to the file /etc/modules. Right click on the file, actions, Edit as Root and enter a line at the end:
    Intel536

Using the modem

The name of your modem device is /dev/536ep0. To use Kppp you will need to create a symlink be able to link the /dev/536ep0 to /dev/modem. Udev rewrites the /dev on each reboot and you thus have to create a new file with kwrite, kate or gedit in /etc/udev/rules.d/60-symlink.rules and find the following lines and put the last line in it:

# Create /dev/modem symlink
    KERNEL=="ttyLTM[0-9]*", SYMLINK+="modem"

KERNEL=="536ep0", SYMLINK+="modem"

Now reboot and you can use Kppp to query the modem as this is a quick check if all is well before dialling out. Configure Kppp or Gnome-ppp for your ISP connection. These Intel modems are found to be quite stable.
    Last edited by Matchless; December 23rd, 2006 at 09:17 AM. Reason: symlink name typo fixed
    Regards,
    Matchless

Proudly kubuntu!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Edgy Howto: Intel 536ep modem

OK I am having serious problems. I have checked out loads of threads about how to do this but it doesn't help. When I get to the make 536 stage I get the "please install kernel source message". I have installed a whole bunch of things which have no effect. I cannot find this ARCH thing that you mention. Does anyone know what I am supposed to install to get past this stage ans exactly where I find it? By the way, I only want yo install my modem for faxes, my Internet connection is on cable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi,
    What needs to be installed is linux-headers-2.6.17-10-generic (yours may differ) which are Linux kernel headers for version 2.6.17 on x86/x86_64. If you type uname -r in the konsole/terminal it will give you the exact version you are using. A quick way is to search for linux-headers in Synaptic and you will see if it is installed or not, in your case select it and install.
    Regards,
    Matchless

Proudly kubuntu!

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks a lot, my modem is now working. I have checked a huge number of guides to modem installation and on the whole they aren't clear enough for newbies like me (I didn't have clue about what the term linux headers meant). My first instinct was to use synaptic but what I chose and installed was incorrect. Useful commands I have found for the installation of linux headers are:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-386

and

sudo apt-get install build-essential

When people are trying to test their modem use minicom and follow this guide

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO-11.html

the serial port you need to put in it is the name of your device, in this case
    /dev/536ep0

the offical guide is fine other than not telling you about how to get the linux headers

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Di...wto/Intel536EP

I take it the above guide was written by matchless due to its similarity? Thanks to all who to take the time to do this stuff.
    Last edited by luvinit; December 3rd, 2006 at 01:30 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi,
    Glad you got it going. Yes, I recall these exact same frustrations myself. You see, Linux uses "dependancies" mostly installed seperately or called up automatically when installing an application. Unlike windows the package you install is very small and usually does not contain all the other packages it is dependant on.
    The howto's follow a very similar pattern and also cannot contain all the steps that are needed and thus not directly related to the package install. There are usually seperate howto's for enabling repositories and preparing your pc to allow you to compile your own packages or such as installing codecs to make a multimedia package work properly on all formats.
    This is what drives a newcomer nuts, but if one would try to overcome this, the howto's could become a couple of pages (some are already) long, be difficult and maybe too much work for people (read community) to write and be be very cumbersome to wade through as many of the users on the other hand also know certain basics and hate heavy long winded instructions . Then we also have the howtos written in command style or on doing it from the gui and so on...
    Basically there are arguments for keeping them brief AND for including all the detail, as we have beginners, experienced users and fundi's or there.
    Regards,
    Matchless

Proudly kubuntu!

Beans

For some reason my compile is failing. This is my "make 536" output:
    Code:
       Module precompile check
       Current running kernel is: 2.6.15-27-k7
       /lib/modules...   autoconf.h exists
    diff: /boot/vmlinuz.autoconf.h: No such file or directory
       autoconf.h matches running kernel
    diff: /boot/vmlinuz.version.h: No such file or directory
       version.h matches running kernel
    uname -r|grep "2.6" && \
            cd coredrv && make 536core_26 && \
            cp Intel536.ko .. && cd .. && \
            strip --strip-debug Intel536.ko && \
            exit; \
            ls Intel536.ko >/dev/null 2>&1 ||  uname -r | grep "2.6" && echo "Failed to build driver" && exit; \
            if [  ]; then \
            cd coredrv; make TARGET=TARGET_SELAH KERNEL_SOURCE_PATH= "PSTN_DEF=-DTARGET_SELAH -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX" 536core; \
            else \
            cd coredrv; make TARGET=TARGET_SELAH KERNEL_INCLUDES=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include \
           "PSTN_DEF=-DTARGET_SELAH -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX" 536core; \
            fi ; \
            cp Intel536.o .. ; \
            if [ -a /boot/vmlinuz.version.h ]; then \
            cp /boot/vmlinuz.version.h /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/linux/version.h;\
            fi
    2.6.15-27-k7
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/<username>/intel-536EP-2.56.76.0/coredrv'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.15-27-k7/build SUBDIRS=/home/<username>/intel-536EP-2.56.76.0/coredrv modules
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-27-k7'
      CC [M]  /home/<username>/intel-536EP-2.56.76.0/coredrv/coredrv.o
    /home/<username>/intel-536EP-2.56.76.0/coredrv/coredrv.c: In function ‘send_data_to_user’:
    /home/<username>/intel-536EP-2.56.76.0/coredrv/coredrv.c:608: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘tty_buffer_request_room’
    /home/<username>/intel-536EP-2.56.76.0/coredrv/coredrv.c:609: error: void value not ignored as it ought to be
    make[3]: *** [/home/<username>/intel-536EP-2.56.76.0/coredrv/coredrv.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [_module_/home/<username>/intel-536EP-2.56.76.0/coredrv] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-27-k7'
    make[1]: *** [536core_26] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/<username>/intel-536EP-2.56.76.0/coredrv'
    2.6.15-27-k7
    Failed to build driver
    Any ideas/suggestions?
    Last edited by kozimodo; December 4th, 2006 at 06:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Hi all,

I have tried several times to compile this driver but it never compiles, I followed the howtos very carefully.

This is the output from my attempts.....

kath@kath-desktop:~/Desktop/Intel-536$ make 536
    Module precompile check
    Current running kernel is: 2.6.17-10-generic
    /lib/modules... autoconf.h exists
    diff: /boot/vmlinuz.autoconf.h: No such file or directory
    autoconf.h matches running kernel
    diff: /boot/vmlinuz.version.h: No such file or directory
    version.h matches running kernel
    uname -r|grep "2.6" && \
    cd coredrv && make 536core_26 && \
    cp Intel536.ko .. && cd .. && \
    strip --strip-debug Intel536.ko && \
    exit; \
    ls Intel536.ko >/dev/null 2>&1 || uname -r | grep "2.6" && echo "Failed to build driver" && exit; \
    if [ ]; then \
    cd coredrv; make TARGET=TARGET_SELAH KERNEL_SOURCE_PATH= "PSTN_DEF=-DTARGET_SELAH -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX" 536core; \
    else \
    cd coredrv; make TARGET=TARGET_SELAH KERNEL_INCLUDES=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include \
    "PSTN_DEF=-DTARGET_SELAH -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX" 536core; \
    fi ; \
    cp Intel536.o .. ; \
    if [ -a /boot/vmlinuz.version.h ]; then \
    cp /boot/vmlinuz.version.h /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/linux/version.h;\
    fi
    2.6.17-10-generic
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv modules
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.17-10-generic'
    CC [M] /home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.o
    /home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:73: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    /home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:73: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in declaration of ‘EXPORT_SYMBOL_NOVERS’
    /home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:73: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
    /home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c: In function ‘softcore_init_struct’:
    /home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:339: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
    /home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c: In function ‘close’:
    /home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:439: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘pm_unregister’
    /home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c: In function ‘send_data_to_user’:
    /home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:587: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
    /home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:592: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
    /home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:593: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
    /home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:595: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
    /home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:596: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
    /home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:597: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
    /home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c: At top level:
    /home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:665: error: expected ‘)’ before string constant
    /home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c: In function ‘hamproc_write’:
    /home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:684: warning: ignoring return value of ‘copy_from_user’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
    /home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c: At top level:
    /home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.c:880: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast
    make[3]: *** [/home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv/coredrv.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [_module_/home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.17-10-generic'
    make[1]: *** [536core_26] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kath/Desktop/Intel-536/coredrv'
    2.6.17-10-generic
    Failed to build driver

I have tried being root but it makes no difference. The modem is being sold as GNU/Linux compatible, the box even has Linux and TUX on it!

I must get this working, this machine is for my mother, to get her off Windows XP.

Please help if you can.

Thanks in advance,
    Diesel1.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi,
    Kozimodo I am not sure if I can help here, as I have never tried on the k7 kernel and only on the generic one.

diesel1 just a few comments, but you may have already done that. You must have the linux-header installed. Then always use a cleanly extracted folder from the intel-536-2.56.76.0.21 09 2006.tgz. If it fails and you want to redo delete and use a new one. In actual fact at this moment I am on Edgy logged in via the Intel536ep, so it does work.
    Regards,
    Matchless

Proudly kubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Hi Matchless,

I do have the prerequisites installed.

I just noticed this thread....

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...ight=intel+536

which also points to the driver package you mention, I believe it is patched for 536EP or Ubuntu kernel (?), this should surely be done already by Ubuntu developers.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply and hopefully it will solve my problem!

Diesel1.

Beans

hi matchless, thanks for your guide.

i had previously installed my intel 536ep modem in breezy and dapper, having had to edit a file that prevented the boot scripts being created correctly, but have so far been unsuccessful in getting it to work with edgy. i have been getting similar errors to kozimodo and diesel1, ending with "failed to build driver". i'm pretty sure i've got everything installed that i need, but i'll double-check when i get home.

i have a question though - the link you provided for the modem drivers appears ostensibly to be for a file on technion's site, but the hyperlink actually goes to intel's site. is this intentional? if not, which driver do you recommend? the intel one? (Intel-536EP-4.71.tgz - which i have tried and can't get to work) or the technion one? (intel-536EP-2.56.76.0_21_09_2006.tgz - which i have downloaded to test out)?

cheers, pellgarlic.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast