Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Official - Microsoft to Sue Linux Users!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: It's Official - Microsoft to Sue Linux Users!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cantormath View Post
    The reason I made this thread really has been due to the current notices that novell has been making about Microsoft and its position in there deal.

Its concerning and I believe that these concerns should be noted, especially since Microsoft has tried to end open source and linux since the time began.
    When a company believes its impossible to have a world with free software, it hard to believe that they have turned over a new leaf.

You know what I mean?
    Yes, and check this out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/22/te...l?ref=business

I have been seeing things like this all over the web. Linux isn't even going to use GPL 3, they are sticking with 2. So this artical is way off on the FSF. I wish I knew why some people in the media have the idea the the FSF runs everything Linux. They don't even maintain the kernal. There is so much FUD out there right now. I've started looking for ways to let people know what is really going on by posting where I can, but where do these people get their info? That's why I want to look for the positive and start trying to clean up some of the miss information on both sides. I hate to say this, but part of me would love to see Microsoft try to sue every Linux user. If we are using their code, why don't they prove it? It's not like someone is hideing it from them!? It's OPEN CODE for crying out loud! The whole point of FOSS is that anyone can look at it at any time! (end rant)

On a postive not, Red Hat won't join MS and I doubt anyone else will. So the MS invation begins and ends with Novell.

Side note: I wonder if MS will ever make their own distro? lol

Beans

laugh, they don't even maintain the kernel? Thats understandable considering they created THE REST of the operating system.

And so far Novell hasn't done anything to warrant the negative opinions everyone has been passing around. They are a company like any other and they need money. So far they've contributed a lot to the community and have stated that if anything comes out of their deal with microsoft, it will be GPL'd. We really should wait and see what comes of this.

I've heard many say they have stopped using Suse because of this deal. Maybe they should ditch Gnome as well, considering some of their developers work for Novell...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cynical View Post
    laugh, they don't even maintain the kernel? Thats understandable considering they created THE REST of the operating system.

And so far Novell hasn't done anything to warrant the negative opinions everyone has been passing around. They are a company like any other and they need money. So far they've contributed a lot to the community and have stated that if anything comes out of their deal with microsoft, it will be GPL'd. We really should wait and see what comes of this.

I've heard many say they have stopped using Suse because of this deal. Maybe they should ditch Gnome as well, considering some of their developers work for Novell...
    Please let me be clear, I do not have negative imput for novell. Just concerns about the drama on the web.
    Linux Hardware Boycott!
    How Many People Have you Converted To Linux?
    HD-DVD code:I cant tell you because I got an infraction for posting it here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'd recommend staying put for now, before abandoning Novell or anyone else. Like cynical, they have indeed contributed a lot to the community, like xgl, vba macros in open office, etc, and more. Let's not hurry too much.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Illidan View Post
    I'd recommend staying put for now, before abandoning Novell or anyone else. Like cynical, they have indeed contributed a lot to the community, like xgl, vba macros in open office, etc, and more. Let's not hurry too much.
    I am certainly NOT suggesting banning any distribution of Linux or Unix.
    Linux Hardware Boycott!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

http://www.ciol.com/content/develope.../106112101.asp

This is a good look at what is going on, in case anyone is intersted.

The FSF doesn't make everything. And people can creat forks if they don't like the new GPL. Not everyone wants to stop freedom 0, and the new GPL does get in the way of freedom 0, as people will not be able to use the software any way they want.

Beans

interesting link....nice.
    Linux Hardware Boycott!

Beans

BY doing the deal with microshit, novell is hopping to take away the market share of Red Hat. That is simple and obvious.
    And why would microshit not make the deal with Red Hat but novell.
    This strategy from windows is symillar to supporting a minority in country just to create divisions and confusions.That's the easiest way to conquer and creat an empire

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kiyometane View Post
    BY doing the deal with microshit, novell is hopping to take away the market share of Red Hat. That is simple and obvious.
    And why would microshit not make the deal with Red Hat but novell.
    This strategy from windows is symillar to supporting a minority in country just to create divisions and confusions.That's the easiest way to conquer and creat an empire
    From what I have read, microsoft has been going against the Novel-MS contract by having discussions with Red hat as well. MS is trying to start a war.
    Linux Hardware Boycott!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu CE

I don't really think they can even do that. I think M$ is starting to realize that they are going to fall to Linux and they are trying their best to fight it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast