Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Web space going to space, suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Question Web space going to space, suggestions?

I used my space to host a clan site for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory for about 6 months, but finished that project and now I'm left with all this bandwidth! Unix based 10gb space with 250gb transfer monthly, php, flash, ftp, 5000 e-mail accounts, forums, etc etc and full support. I thought about using it as a mirror for some of the more popular Ubuntu packages like Beryl, but don't know how. Let me know what you think.

Beans

Re: Web space going to space, suggestions?

mm mirrors are boring. There are a lot of people around trying to start up their own little projects. I suggest you pick a project that you're interested in/would like to help and let your space be used as a website for that. and you'll still have space left over to do multiple projects or even a mirror if you'd still like.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn
    Quick response I considered maybe starting my own project, and actually have released my own software in the past (before I switched to Linux, so essentially for Windows only) with very positive results. The problem is that I am fluent in VB.net Just started learning Python, so at least that whatever I create can be accessible on various platforms...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I'll take it

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    GCS/MU dpu s-:-- a16--- C++++ UL++ P+ L+++>++++ E--- W+++ N++ o k? w--- !O M V-- PS !PE Y+ PGP+ t+ 5- X R+ tv+ b+++ DI+ D++ G e- h! r! !y

------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Phatfiddler View Post
    Quick response I considered maybe starting my own project, and actually have released my own software in the past (before I switched to Linux, so essentially for Windows only) with very positive results. The problem is that I am fluent in VB.net Just started learning Python, so at least that whatever I create can be accessible on various platforms...
    well the great thing about so much space is that you can host multiple projects. I'd be surprised if you could hold any less than 10, and I wouldn't be surprised if it went up to 20. If divvied up evenly, most projects will never use their 512 MBs of space, and linux programs usually have fairly low bandwith as well. So you have a lot to play with.
    Last edited by maniacmusician; December 1st, 2006 at 06:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Offer it to host some local band's music.
    Or, if you don't know any, anounce it properly here and lend some bandwidth to some tux related project. You can offer a certain amount of bandwidth on some mirror for example. Don't assign all demanded bandwidth to the mirror.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

a beryl mirror seems like a good idea to me, I'd suggest just contacting them on how to set it up

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Giving host space for a few projects here would probably put the space to best use. Could maybe set part of the bandwidth up to specifically handle mirrors.

Besides having the space, though, I also have a domain that could be used. I don't have it directed to any folder on my server yet, so it's blank atm, but it's www.cutlersoftware.com. Seems like it could be a good front for such projects.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Also, I have a file manager installed on the site which allows unlimited number of users (password protected of course) , and allows me to assign folders to each individual. These in turn could be the sub-domains for such projects. Let me know what you think.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

May I ask what this file manager is?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast