Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offering Ubuntu project hosting, for free!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Talking Offering Ubuntu project hosting, for free!

So I have decided to create my own project for Ubuntu Linux: a free project hosting service. Forum, php, html, flash, ftp and MySQL access, unlimited e-mails etc etc.

The site is still in progress, but feel free to visit:

If you are interested in having your project hosted, PM me or post here. I want to hear your opinions!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Offering Ubuntu project hosting, for free!

Woooow!!! This is a very very good act! U r a good man!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Cheers, and the community will certainly thank you for your kind offer. Keep up the great works
    .:.:.[)[@[)|2.:.:.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side-effect." -- Linus Torvald.

Beans

who's the picture of? surely you havn't gotten together a crack team of developers that quickly . have you thought about what I said in the other thread? That is, actually turning Cutler Software into a brand name to unite projects under so that they get more recognition.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm sorry to say, but must be honest...
    Your site looks awfully generic.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    true enough, but the purpose of the site (at this moment) isn't really to make a great looking site for himself, I don't think. He's just planning on divvying up his server space and giving it to Linux projects. It'll be the responsibility of the projects to make their own websites, etc. Or at least that's the impression that I was getting.

Beans

Cool... i have a project that I'm thinking about releasing soon. I'll look into that.

There really was no need for that type of comment.

Beans
    Hidden!

Exclamation Re: Offering Ubuntu project hosting, for free!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post
    Cool... i have a project that I'm thinking about releasing soon. I'll look into that.

There really was no need for that type of comment.
    By your definition this...

Quote Originally Posted by DC@DR View Post
    Cheers, and the community will certainly thank you for your kind offer. Keep up the great works
    and this...

Quote Originally Posted by MedivhX View Post
    Woooow!!! This is a very very good act! U r a good man!!!
    Should not be stated, including your own statement, so please don't post unesissary commments

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

one comment, you might want to get a bigger hard drive then just 50 gb... especially when you have whatever os you have installed, apache, sql, php, perl, and all of the projects websites / databases / programs / sources.. the space on your drive is gonna diminish very quickly

gl with your project though.
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Smile Re: Offering Ubuntu project hosting, for free!

Sorry for late response, but had work tonight. But in response to some questions:

Generic looking-ness

Yes it does look generic. That is the main site for now, and is only a "redirect" site to the projects that will be hosted. The project pages will be the responsibility of the owner(s), and will have no relation to the main site except for the fact it is hosted there. The site is in HTML and uses javascript. There is no need for phpNuke or other management tools since practically nothing needs rapid updates on the main page...just links, the forum and basic pages. It will definitely be improved later, but as is, provides a solid, fast-loading environment.

Comment by Polygon about the disc space

The 50Gb is AFTER everything has been installed. BSD stable, apache, sql, php, perl scripts, ftp server, chat, bulletin boards, galleries, content management, site management, e-commerce applications, java and flash plugins......all of these are installed and have no bearing on the 50GB. The 50Gb is after the fact. Any applications I choose to install in the future have no bearing on the 50Gb. E-mail also has no bearing on the 50Gb, and is configured for an unlimited amount of accounts (it was 5000, but I had it increased to unlimited).

Also, database size does not reflect upon the 50Gb. Multiple databases are provided (mysql) and are not size limited.

ManiacMusician

Yes, the site space and bandwidth is spread amongst the projects that will be hosted. The site in no way will reflect my personal opinion, and projects will not be edited, banned, or restricted based on my opinions. Each project's personal page is under complete control by the project admin. The purpose of the site is indeed to unite the many projects and programmers to help with a larger cause. I also hope that it will help bring light to some of the mostly unknown and obscure projects that are out there.

Details about the server and the connection it is on

Xeon Dual-Processor server
    Mirrored storage backups
    Power backups in case of power outage
    Connected through 2 major backbones through multiple OC12s (622Mbps each)
    FreeBSD STABLE 4.11
    mysql Ver 12.22
    Perl Ver 5.8.3
    PHP 4.4.1
    Apache
    Over 500 Perl modules installed
    Python installed
    Ruby/Ruby on Rails installed
    Flash/Shockwave
    Javascript/DHTML
    Supports streaming audio and video
    REAL audio and video support
    MIDI file support
    SSL secure servers for commerce
    Open PGP/GPG encryption

And while I notice that there is a dispute about the nature of some comments, I welcome all opinions, negative and positive, as I feel that both of these types are required for improvement to occur. All opinions are welcome.

Also, although the OS is BSD stable, backups of the entire site will occur daily, and stored off-server, just-in-case
    Last edited by Phatfiddler; December 7th, 2006 at 06:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast