Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An Ubuntu story

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

An Ubuntu story

Just a slightly annoying, slightly funny experience I had that I wanted to share:

My Epson AIO's printhead is blocked *again* so I decide to just relegate it to scanner duty and buy a cheap inkjet; I did some research and settle on an HP D2360.

I go to a local PC store (PC Gilmore, for anyone in my locale who happens to be reading this) and ask about it. This is what happened:
    Salesguy: "so, what system are you using this on?"
    Me: Linux
    Salesguy (makes a big show of looking over the box): HP only works with Windows
    Me: No, no, there's a Linux driver
    Salesguy calls their Technician to verify
    Technician: (condescening tone) HP works with Windows and Mac only!
    Me: I know it works with Linux
    (repeat cycle 2-3x)
    Me: Look, just give me the printer, if it doesn't work, i'll come back tomorrow and buy the more expensive model!
    *sales guy finally hands printer over*

The store has a testing area, so the technician makes a big show of opening the box (with a box cutter- he managed to shred the packaging and manuals too; fortunately the printer is fine); he plugs it onto their XP unit.
    Technician (still condescending): see, in XP it's just plug-and-play. Why don't you buy an XP? Linux is so obsolete (yeah, he actually said that) blah-blah-blah-blah-blah (he sounded like a micrososft press release)

Well, the printer is now home. it works fine with Ubuntu. The punch line? I'm dual-booting and Windows still won't work with it.

Beans

Re: An Ubuntu story

I think XP is not ready for the desktop yet
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans

Reading this makes me wanna But still it made me laugh

Beans

you should've brought a livecd with you , and say it on his face, see i told you its plug and play

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Great story!
    I was looking at lappies at the local Staples. Young feller comes over; we'd talked before. Told him I wanted Intel wireless and Intel or Nvidia graphics because the goal was a working Ubuntu install with minimal hassles. He'd never heard of Ubuntu, but said he was also experimenting with Linux. He called it Mini-Linux or some such and claimed the whole OS ran off one floppy.

Is that even possible?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    Great story!
    I was looking at lappies at the local Staples. Young feller comes over; we'd talked before. Told him I wanted Intel wireless and Intel or Nvidia graphics because the goal was a working Ubuntu install with minimal hassles. He'd never heard of Ubuntu, but said he was also experimenting with Linux. He called it Mini-Linux or some such and claimed the whole OS ran off one floppy.

Is that even possible?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiniLinux
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah HP works without a twitch in Ubuntu, but I still couldn't make my printer/scanner combo work in XP: installer crashes about half way through with a beautiful "Unknown error. Please report this bug".

You should always carry a live CD around with you

Long live linux

- trib'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

On a similar vein, I once purchased a wireless PCI network card and a wireless router from PCWorld (a chain of computer supermarkets in the UK). And when I was walking back to the checkout to pay for the goods, one of their 'technical' (and I use the term loosely) guys told me that the 2 devices would not talk to each other as they are made by differing manufacturers!!! (Perfectly true).

I politely, but firmly, told him that I have been working in IT for 15 years, had a Masters Degree in Computer Science and that I think I will be able to manage to get them talking to each other.

He backed off rather sheepishly.

Beans
    Hidden!

I experienced ISP issues (no connection, very slow, then fine...etc). Called Time-Warner, technician shows up and announces within seconds my problem was Linux. Basically, this "technician" told me I needed to buy Windows XP, get rid of Linux, then call him back, and he'd be able to help. Since I "rent" the modem...I told him to leave a new modem, and I'd handle it from here....he left, installed new modem...and, problem solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by loell View Post
    you should've brought a livecd with you , and say it on his face, see i told you its plug and play
    I did bring the liveCD... he said "we don't allow people to install anything on our computers!" I said it ran off the CD, no need to install... he had a blank expression, said that wasn't possible and went back to plugging Windows. *Someone* needs a new brain.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast