Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Getting Started with Linux Standalone Apps using XUL

Beans

Lightbulb HOWTO: Getting Started with Linux Standalone Apps using XUL

Introduction

Perhaps there's a developer out there who knows web development, but hasn't really done many standalone applications or doesn't have the time to learn the API for that, and who wants to make a standalone application on Ubuntu Linux. Perhaps this developer is you. If so, then read on.

If you look around, most of the standalone apps running on Linux since about 2002 are being created in Python with PyGTK or PyQT. This is great and all if you know Python and are willing to learn the documented and undocumented (or at least hard-to-find facts) about PyGTK or PyQT API for drawing the GUI. The technique presented here is different, however, and will show you how to get started in writing standalone Ubuntu software in Javascript and HTML, and to use SQLite as your database.

Here's a small example of what it looks like:

Development Environment Installation

After temporarily turning on your Universe option in /etc/apt/sources.list, run this:

$ sudo apt-get install ngs-js
    $ sudo apt-get install thttpd*
    $ sudo apt-get install sqlite3*

...and then turn off your Universe option.

When this is installed, you'll want to ensure (using find, whereis, or whatever) that these commands are put in the places that I expect them to be:

/usr/bin/ngs-js
    /usr/sbin/thttpd
    /usr/bin/sqlite3

If not, then you may want to either adjust the scripts below or make links (using 'ln' command) in these places so that things are called properly.

Getting Started

To build a short example to get started, we need just 4 files:
    • names.sql - the script to create our database if it doesn't exist
    • example.xul - the GUI description
    • example.js - the application's starting page
    • example - the bash script that kicks the process off

names.sql
    Code:
    DROP TABLE names;
    CREATE TABLE names (
     firstname varchar(60),
     lastname varchar(60)
    );
    INSERT INTO names VALUES ('Marty','Mouse');
    INSERT INTO names VALUES ('Spidey','Man');
    INSERT INTO names VALUES ('Duck','McDuff');
    INSERT INTO names VALUES ('Super','Coolman');
    INSERT INTO names VALUES ('Test','Tester');
    example.xul
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <?xml-stylesheet href="chrome://global/skin/" type="text/css"?>
    <window
    id = "myapp"
    title = "SQLite Example"
    height = "420"
    minHeight = "420"
    width = "640"
    minWidth = "640"
    screenX = "10"
    screenY = "10"
    sizemode = "normal"
    wait-cursor = "false"
    xmlns = "http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul" >
    <spacer style = "height: 4px; cursor: default;" />
    <hbox flex = "1">
    <iframe
    id = "webframe"
    flex = "1"
    src = "http://127.0.0.1:11255/example.js"
    style = "border: 0px" />
    </hbox>
    </window>
    <!-- type = "content-primary" -->
    example.js
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/ngs-js

var $LastError = '';
    var $_bAlreadyWrittenContent = 0;

function echo($sMsg) {
            if (!$_bAlreadyWrittenContent) {
    	        System.stdout.writeln("Content-type: text/html\r\n");
    	        $_bAlreadyWrittenContent = 1;
            }
            System.stdout.write('' + $sMsg);
    }

function DBQuery($sDBFile, $sSQL) {
            $oPipe = System.popen("/usr/bin/sqlite3 -header -separator '< >' -nullvalue '<NULL>' " + $sDBFile + " '" + $sSQL + "'", 'r');
            $i=0; $bError=0; $sBuild = '';
            $aRows = new Array();
            $aRow = new Array();
            while (!$oPipe.eof()) {
                    $sLine = $oPipe.readln();
                    if ($sLine == '') {
                            break;
                    }
                    if (($sLine.indexOf('error') != -1) || ($bError=1)) {
                            $bError = 1;
                            $sBuild += $sLine;
                    }
                    $aRows[$i] = $aRow.concat($sLine.split('< >'));
                    $i++;
            }
            $LastError = $sBuild;
            return $aRows;
    }

function Main() {
    	echo("<style>\n");
    	echo("BODY {\n");
    	echo(" background: #f7f7f7");
    	echo("}\n\n");
    	echo("TABLE {\n");
    	echo(" border-collapse: collapse;\n");
    	echo(" white-space: nowrap;\n");
    	echo(" font-family: Arial,sans;\n");
    	echo(" font-size: 9pt;\n");
    	echo("}\n\n");
    	echo("TD,TH {\n");
    	echo(" border: 1px Gainsboro solid;\n");
    	echo(" padding-left: 8px;\n");
    	echo(" padding-right: 8px;\n");
    	echo(" background: #ffffff;\n");
    	echo("}\n\n");
    	echo("TH {\n");
    	echo(" background: #000000;\n");
    	echo(" color: #ffffff;\n");
    	echo("}\n\n");
    	echo("TH P {\n");
    	echo(" text-transform: capitalize;\n");
    	echo("}\n\n");
    	echo(".tdalt {\n");
    	echo(" background: #e9e9e9;\n");
    	echo("}\n\n");
    	echo("</style>\n");
    	$rsRows = DBQuery('names.db','select * from names');
    	echo("<TABLE BORDER=0 CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0>\n");
    	$i = 0;
    	for ($asRow in $rsRows) {
    			echo("<TR>\n");
    	        for ($sColVal in $asRow) {
    	        		if ($i == 0) {
    	        			echo('<TH><P>' + $sColVal + '</P></TH>');
    	        		} else {
    	        			if ($i % 2) {
    			                echo("<TD class='tdalt'>" + $sColVal + '</TD>');
    			            } else {
    			            	echo('<TD>' + $sColVal + '</TD>');
    			            }
    		            }
    	        }
    	        $i++;
    	        echo("\n</TR>\n");
    	}
    	echo("</TABLE>\n");
    }

Main();
    example
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

PATH=$PATH:"$PWD"
    chmod a+x example.js
    if [ ! -f names.db ]; then
            sqlite3 -init names.sql names.db '.quit' 2>&1 > /dev/null
    fi
    thttpd -d "$PWD" -p 11255 -c '**.js' -l /tmp/thttpd.log
    firefox -chrome file:$PWD/example.xul
    Drop these files into a directory under your ordinary user account and run the application like so:

$ sh example

The result you get is like the attached example.png to this article.

How The Example Works

First, we load the example Bash script and in general it creates a names.db database file if one doesn't exist, launches a small, embeddable web server (thttpd) on port 11255, and then launches a Firefox process with an exclusive GUI file called a chrome.

When Firefox is loaded in this manner, it does not display anything except what we specify in the XUL file. Now the XUL format is extremely rich but it can get very complex to work with it. It can support a whole list of GUI widgets that can dazzle you. If you're interested in that, see the references link at the bottom of the article. For me, I wanted to go a different route because I wanted to build applications that use what I am used to using -- Javascript and HTML instead of all this complex XUL. Therefore, as you can see in the XUL file, once we set the window properties, we load an HTML browser widget inside that immediately attaches to the web page (example.js) from the tiny web server.

This web server operates like a normal CGI web server and so you'll want to understand a little how CGI works if you want to do things like page redirection, form handling, and so on. A reference for that is at the bottom of this article. Since CGI can be slightly difficult, once I figure something out, such as page redirection, I throw it into a web.js file as a function so that I can refer to it routinely instead of remembering how to do it on a line-by-line CGI level.

Because you may have web apps hosted on a usual port like 80 or 443, we don't use that for our port. You have a range of 7000-65535, usually, for web apps on alternate ports, so we chose 11255. However, if you have more than one of your apps loaded, you'll need each one on an exclusive port or you'll cause a conflict with the example scripts. (The other technique is to use different directories.) If you're using a local workstation firewall, you'll want to open up port 11255. I use an iptables script, so I stuck this into it:

# XUL apps
    iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 11255 --syn -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 11255 -j ACCEPT

Note that the example Bash script calls thttpd and doesn't worry about the fact that it may already be in memory. This is because thttpd is smart and won't let itself be loaded more than once on the same port.

Note also that I don't stop thttpd when the GUI is closed when you click X. This is because I don't currently know how to detect what window titles are open on the X terminal, and testing for an instance of firefox in memory won't cut it because someone may be using firefox to do web surfing in addition to loading your XUL application. So, if you know how to catch this and stop the thtpd server, please reply to this article to show us all how. It's a minor thing to have this thttpd service running on an alternate port if you're behind a subnet or a firewall, but I really would like to learn how to stop this service once the XUL application is closed.

The web server calls our Javascript file, example.js, and because our example Bash script set it to executable, the web server will run it instead of display it as text in the browser. And inside example.js, a critical line was:

#!/usr/bin/ngs-js

That tells the shell what command to use to run this script. The NGS-JS project is sort of a stale project since around 2004, last I saw, but the amazing thing is that it works extremely well as a Javascript interpreter with the power to shell out to other processes, read/write files, and so on. It is written in C. The thing to understand about NGS-JS is that you first must understand Javascript fairly well, and then learn the extra stuff in NGS-JS that it does beyond standard Javascript.

From our example.js, it loads a Main() function which builds a style sheet, queries the database, and iterates the result in an HTML table.

To make things a little easier for myself with the Javascript, if there's a function or set of functions I tend to call frequently, and if I know the equivalent of that in my language of choice (PHP), then I encapsulate that into a function that tries to look as much as like what I'm used to in my favorite language. For instance, I created an echo() function as you can see. Unlike the example above, usually I'll be putting these functions into separate files I like to call "modules", stick them in a directory called "modules", and then load these with NGS-JS's load() statement:

load('modules/web.js');
    load('modules/db.js');

You'll want to watch how I do that echo() function because it uses a CGI technique "Content-type: text/html\r\n" before printing text. This is necessary for your browser to display the web page properly. Otherwise, you end up with a white block on your page and nothing exciting going on.

The database query interacts with SQLite. If you're not used to this database, you should be. It's a sensational piece of work, has a great license, is free, supports a small set of ANSI-92 SQL statements, and makes for a great embeddable database in your smaller projects. For me, I use only two databases on Linux: SQLite for smaller projects or standalone applications like this, or PostgreSQL for anything else. I only use MySQL when I'm on a team project that requires it.

The way I handle the database query, since NGS-JS doesn't have a handler for it, is to use NGS-JS's System.popen() function to shell out and access our SQLite3 command. I then parse the result and stick it in an array of rows with each row containing an array of columns.

And voila!, that's how it's done.

Debugging

You may want to know how to debug your Javascript pages. (By the way, don't confuse Javascript pages with Java Server Pages -- these are two separate things entirely.) The way I do it is at command line like so:

$ ngs-js example.js

However, typing 'ngs-js' can get tiresome. An alternate way is:

$ ./example.js

...or, you can do:

$ sudo ln -s /usr/bin/ngs-js /usr/bin/js

...and then do:

$ js example.js

If the debugging gets too hard, you can always break out what you're trying to do into a function and then use a test script to call just that to see the result.

Extending - Where To Go from Here

By now, the gears are probably moving in your head and you're wondering where to go from here, such a server file read/write, drawing gadgets, AJAX, page redirection, form processing, file uploads, and a whole host of other options. Unfortunately I won't be able to cover all of this in this example, so you can ask me if you're stuck after looking at the references below.

In general, here's what you'll need to know:
    • file I/O - you have two avenues -- either use System.popen() from NGS-JS and use normal Bash statements for file I/O, or use the built-in NGS-JS commands for file I/O
    • drawing gadgets - HTML and DHTML works great, as does CSS and anything else you can do in Firefox, so you already have a rich API in the web page itself. But if it's not rich enough for you, consider reading up on XUL and adding that in. You can also use AJAX.
    • AJAX - you can create a subfolder in your project directory called "ajax" and place your AJAX scripts in there. You can use the normal AJAX API in Firefox to interact with those pages for a result.
    • page redirection - this is a function of CGI, but in general it looks like this:

Code:
      function Redirect($sPageNamePath) {
              System.stdout.writeln('Content-type: text/plain');
              System.stdout.writeln('Location: ' + $sPageNamePath);
      }
    • form processing - this is a function of CGI and comes to you through environment variables established by the web server, which can be read like so:

Code:
      System.getenv('QUERY_STRING');
      ...but it only works with GET type form posts. If a POST type of form post is used, you'll need to read from standard input (STDIN) by the amount of what's posted from the CONTENT-LENGTH environment variable. This is explained multiple times on the web but most of the examples are given in Perl and you have to re-interpret that in Javascript. There are also C-based GNU tools that can be used to do this for you and you can use System.popen() to shell out, get that input, and return a result back.
    • file uploads - this gets fairly complex to describe, but is a function of CGI and requires doing a series of steps that you can find in the CGI reference below.

Why Not Perl Instead of Javascript?

You may want to know why I don't use Perl for this example and use NGS-JS. Good point. Perl works great instead of NGS-JS, and has typically been used for CGI processing for many years, especially when web servers were just getting started on the web. However, it's all about using what you know, and many people already know a good bit of Javascript because you pretty much have to know this in order to do web development.

Another advantage of NGS-JS is that it's very small -- smaller than Perl. It makes a great, embeddable platform for standalone desktop development.

But if Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, Pike, Scheme, or whatever language you want is your preference, then by all means do what you feel is best.

Conclusion

Using very minimal XUL that you write once and alter very little, and then do most of your work in Javascript, HTML, and SQL, you can produce standalone desktop applications for Linux. And if that's not good enough for you, you can add Perl, AJAX, more complex XUL, and a whole host of other options to richen the experience.

If you're bold enough, you could revise this example to make an entire Quickbooks for Small Business knockoff (badly needed, I'm afraid) standalone desktop application and many other types of standalone applications. You can also make control panels, a simulated standalone GUI for a remote website, a chat program, and all kinds of things.

For Further Reference

Note on many of these references I recommend you use a command like wget (with the required options) to download all the pages to your local hard drive in case the site ever goes down or are no longer maintained.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SuperMike; January 8th, 2007 at 08:53 AM.
    SuperMike
    When in doubt, follow the penguins.
    Evil Kitty is watching you

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Getting Started with Linux Standalone Apps using XUL

SuperMike,

Very well put together. One complaint: where's the screenie you mentioned? I can pretty much guess what it looks like (it's just a client-side Javascript app running in a Firefox window with regular HTML elements, correct?) but I am still curious.

Beans

Ah, I found that when it's posted to this particular forum, it doesn't display the screenshot.

Let me edit it and see if I can host it somewhere.
    SuperMike

Beans

Mozilla now has a way to get XUL to work without a web server and, as well, has a way to interact with a database like a flat file database or a SQLite database (although others are supported). I think I see that Songbird, the advanced XUL-based music player, does this. Unfortunately, I read that it requires installation of some XPCOM extensions or special compilation and that sucks. The way Songbird gets around this is by shipping an entire Mozilla distribution with Songbird and providing the extensions inside that already. It would be great if all the XPCOM stuff was already in the latest Firefox and we could just rely upon it.

If you crack open Songbird's files, you see that it was written entirely in server-less, database server-less, Javascript. When you run nmap against yourself, you also don't see it hosts any service port on your PC.

In my opinion, Songbird didn't use a KISS design -- it's a huge amount of complex code that might have been better implemented in less code. Also, because the interface was done entirely in XUL, rather than XUL calling HTML, that made it even more complex.
    SuperMike

Beans

Probably the most efficient way to build these applications is to store them all as subdirectories under:

/usr/share

...like other programs do and then have the thttpd command refer to /usr/share as the home directory and the XUL to refer to something like myapp/index.js. Then, use the same thttpd and port for all the apps to share so that you don't have more than one thttpd in memory at once.
    SuperMike

Beans

Building menus can be done in XUL, of course, but that drives up the complexity. Besides, you may already be used to doing menus in CSS, dhtml, or Javascript by now. My taste is to do the menus in pure CSS and don't worry about the fact that this won't work well on IE because we're using Firefox instead.

I've also learned that you can't make a File\Quit menu item for your XUL application because Firefox has a security protection to prohibit closing a window from code. Of course, you could find some code on the web that crashes Firefox, but there's no telling on how long that code will work before that hole is plugged. In general you might want to try the approach of providing a File\Quit option (unless you're building a control panel or something else) and just have an inline DIV show up that lasts for 6 seconds and says "To quit this application, click the close box on your titlebar."
    SuperMike

Beans

I found that the firewall rule I specified in the article will work, but it's not necessary since my firewall script already has this rule:

iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT

...which permits all 127.0.0.1 (local loopback to itself) activity.

In fact, by using the rule specified in the article above is probably not a good idea because it exposes port 11255 to the outside world, which is not necessary because we only want local connections back to this micro web server (thttpd).
    SuperMike

Beans

If you ever go this route in building your application, one option for building great menus looks like:

HTML Code:
    <html>

<head>

<title>Pure CSS Menus</title>

<style type="text/css">
    ul#menubar {
    	padding: 0px;
    	margin: 0px;
    	width: 10em;
    	position: relative;
    	float: left;
    	z-index: 1;
    }
    ul#menubar a {
    	display: block; 
    	padding: 0.3em 1em;

text-decoration: none;

background: #f7f7f7;

color: black;

font-family: Arial,sans;
    	font-size: 0.68em;

cursor: default;
    	border: 1px solid #f7f7f7;
    }
    ul#menubar a:hover {
    	background-color: #a0a0a0;
    	color: white;
    	border: 1px solid #707070;
    }
    ul#menubar ul li {
    	left: 5px;
    }
    li#break {

color: Gainsboro;

height: 0px;
    	border-top: 1px solid Gainsboro;

}
    li#menu,li#break,li#popdownmenu {
    	list-style-type: none; 
    }
    li#menu,li#break {
    	display: none;
    }
    ul#menubar:hover > li {

border-left: 1px solid Gainsboro;
    	border-right: 1px solid Gainsboro;	
    }
    ul#menubar:hover > li#popdownmenu {
    	border-left: 1px solid #f7f7f7;
    	border-right: 1px solid #f7f7f7;
    	border-bottom: 1px solid Gainsboro;
    }
    ul#menubar:hover {
    }
    li#popdownmenu,li#popdownmenu:hover {
    	cursor:default;
    	font-size: 0.68em;
    	font-family: Arial,sans;
    	padding: 0.35em 0.4em;
    	list-style-type: none;
    	border-left: 1px solid #f7f7f7;
    	border-right: 1px solid #f7f7f7;
    }
    div#menus {
    	width: 100%;
    	margin: 3px;
    	position: absolute;
    }
    div#body {
    	position: fixed;
    }
    div#toparea {
    	position: fixed;
    	float: none;
    	width: 100%;
    	margin: 1px;
    }
    div#bodyarea {
    	float: bottom;
    	top: 8px;
    	background: white;
    	height: auto;
    	bottom: 0;
    	width: auto;
    }
    </style>

</head>

<body topmargin=0 leftmargin=0 marginwidth=0 marginheight=0>
    <div id="body">
    <div id="toparea">
    <div id="menus">&nbsp;</div>
    <ul id="menubar">
    	<li id="popdownmenu">&nbsp;File</li>
    	<li id="menu"><a href="?menu=new">New</a></li>
    	<li id="menu"><a href="?menu=open">Open...</a></li>

<li id="menu"><a href="?menu=save">Save</a></li>

<li id="break"></li>

<li id="menu"><a href="?menu=quit">Quit</a></li>

</ul>

<ul id="menubar" style="left: -6.9em;">
    	<li id="popdownmenu">Edit</li>
    	<li id="menu"><a href="?menu=cut">Cut</a></li>

<li id="menu"><a href="?menu=copy">Copy</a></li>

<li id="menu"><a href="?menu=paste">Paste</a></li>

<li id="break"></li>

<li id="menu"><a href="?menu=selectall">Select All</a></li>

</ul>

<ul id="menubar" style="left: -13.8em;">
    	<li id="popdownmenu">Help</li>
    	<li id="menu"><a href="?menu=help">Help Contents</a></li>

<li id="break"></li>

<li id="menu"><a href="?menu=about">About Menus</a></li>

</ul>
    </div>
    <div id="bodyarea">
    <p>This is a test</p>
    <table border=1 cellspacing=1 cellpadding=1 width="100%">
    <tr><td>test</td><td>test</td></tr>
    </table>
    <table border=1 cellspacing=1 cellpadding=1 width="100%">
    </table>
    </div>
    </div>
    </body>

</html>
    SuperMike

Beans

I found a way to automatically shut down thttpd when the window is closed.

In the example bash script, after the firefox -chrome line, you could do something like:

Code:
    # find the PID of our thttpd
    THTTPDPID="$(ps ax | grep -i 11255 | grep -iv grep | cut -d ' ' -f 1 | tr -d \"\\n\")"
    # give the browser some time to load
    sleep 2
    # go into an endless loop
    while true; do
      # take it easy on the processor
      sleep 1
      # if we find our window no longer open, then...
      if (( "$(xwininfo -name 'SQLite Example' 2>&1 | grep -iv 'no window' | wc -l)" == "0" )); then
        # ...kill our thttpd web server
        kill $THTTPDPID
        break
      fi
    done
    But note that this technique breaks the functionality of all the other apps you have hosted on thttpd on this same port number and is not a good idea. That's why I would just opt to leave thttpd open and not use this technique unless you have all your apps on separate port numbers. The thttpd command is smart enough to not reload itself more than once, so you could call this multiple times.

Another route is to implement a SYSV message queue in Bash such that each time an app loads, it updates the message queue with another entry, and when the app unloads, it removes the entry from the message queue. When there are no more entries in the message queue, you could kill the thttpd process on port 11255 (if that's the port you choose to use).

To create a quick and dirty tool in C (even if you don't know C) for interacting with message queues from Bash command line, look at msgtool here:

http://www.linux.com/guides/lpg/node37.shtml
    SuperMike

Beans

I Made A Great Discovery Today!!!

There is a way to build robust, fast standalone XUL applications without needing a web server like thttpd !

I'll have an example posted here in a day or so as I try to polish it up, but the way it works is:

1. Firefox loads with your chrome XUL file like I've shown above.
    2. The XUL should have this extra xmlns line above the existing one we've been using in the example above:

xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"

3. The XUL should remove the IFRAME because it's no longer necessary and should replace it simply with a DIV in XHTML format like so:

<html:div id="mydiv" name="mydiv"></html:div>

4. Your XUL file's <script></script> section should include the initial javascript to display content in "mydiv". It does this like so:

document.getElementById('mydiv').innerHTML = 'put all the HTML for a normal page here';

5. That loads the default HTML content inside 'mydiv'. When someone clicks an element on it, it needs to use normal Javascript onClick="" handlers like so:

<html:input id="MyBtn" name="MyBtn" type="button" onClick="SayHello()" />

6. This will then of course call the ordinary Javascript you already have in the XUL, looking for the function, in this case, SayHello().

7. With normal applications, you're going to want to do things like:

* shell out and run a command, sending the output to a file -- useful for all kinds of things, such as reading and writing to any kind of database, using either Bash, Perl, Python, PHP -- whatever you think you want to require be on the computer for them to run this command. If it were me, I would just stick with Bash and use commands from /usr/bin -- that way you lower the dependencies.

* read the contents of that file and redisplay it in 'mydiv'

* be able to write contents into a file

All of these things are possible using something in XUL called XPCOM and these components are described here:

http://www.xulplanet.com/references/xpcomref/

However, note well that there's one more trick to getting XPCOM to work in Firefox because by default it's turned off. The trick is to add this block of code in the Javascript:

try {
    netscape.security.PrivilegeManager.enablePrivilege ("UniversalXPConnect");
    } catch (e) {
    alert('This version of Firefox does not support this kind of application. Please upgrade.");
    return;
    }

...before running the XPCOM objects. Otherwise, you'll get an error in the ErrorConsole (if you open it up) like so:

Permission denied to get property UnnamedClass.classes

The neat thing about XPCOM objects is that there's a pretty decent set of them, giving you the ability to run commands, read/write files, show a file open, save, or print dialog window, read/write remote socket connections, and many other things. Click the XPCOM reference link above to find out what these are and how they are to be called inside the Javascript of your XUL file.

So, to run a command with XPCOM, this example was useful to me:

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs...g_applications

For File I/O, this example was useful:

http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/...d/23360/fid/53

SUMMARY

I'll have an example posted in a couple days, but the net of this is that with just one XUL file and firefox, you can build an entire application on Linux as well as make it run super fast. The language you will use is ordinary Javascript with some extra features added in, and perhaps Bash script language or SQL as you need to interact with commands on the system or interact with a database such as SQLite, MySQL, PostgreSQL, or whatever.

To draw the GUI, you use ordinary HTML. With some clever Javascript and CSS, you can make the HTML look and feel like an application GUI like we're used to using. In fact, if the program is only run on Linux, Firefox even has a way to make a rich edit control so that you can do bolding, italics, and so on or provide a way for the end user to do it too.

Instead of doing normal web form submission to a web service, you just call the Javascript in the existing page and keep replacing mydiv's innerHTML value or update the HTML elements inside that DIV.

And these applications can be extremely robust. Take for instance Mozilla Thunderbird -- it is written using XUL, XPCOM, and Javascript. (Er, for the most part -- there is some extra C++ code that it uses via XPCOM.)

Therefore, if you wanted to build a spreadsheet, word processor, Quickbooks Pro for Small Business knockoff, or whatever kind of application or handy utility you wanted, as long as Firefox is installed on the Linux computer, your XUL application could do it all quite nicely, and do it without Python, Perl, PHP, or Java.

And you don't have to keep all your code in one single file. You can have the XUL file call external HTML, Javascript, or CSS files. You can also embed things like Flash, Java applets, or other plugins.
    SuperMike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast