Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Website: "How to Install Anything in Ubuntu"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I've created a guide that explores different ways of installing software in Ubuntu. It's aimed at newbies, is very graphical and hopefully also very easy to follow. You can find it at:

http://amitech.50webs.com/installing/index.php.html
    Last edited by aysiu; June 18th, 2009 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Updated link to active mirror

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Having problems figuring out how to install software in Ubuntu? Check this out.

Excellent guide! Thanks very much. A more in depth read is due later. From what i skimmed it might finally unravel the mysteries to me of the various ways of installing.

Beans

Re: Having problems figuring out how to install software in Ubuntu? Check this out.

Looks sexy!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

This is very well written! Thanks a lot.
    Don't just say something. Have something to say.

Beans

Thanks, very readable and informative.

You mention the package "build-essential" but I couldn't find that (universe repositories enabled and searched after list updated). Have I misread or missed a repository?

Cheers,

Peter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Good work. Deinitely needed. I'm sending a copy to a friend.
    I see Dapper Drake will have an automatic installer for .deb packages: I was just now explaining dpkg -i to him, and I could see his face grow longer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

You mention the package "build-essential" but I couldn't find that (universe repositories enabled and searched after list updated). Have I misread or missed a repository?
    It should definitely be there somewhere. When I installed build-essential, I didn't have internet access, just the install CD that Canonical mailed me. But in Synaptic, build-essential was there on the list, and I just had to mark it for installation.

Maybe in terminal the command

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    would do it for you?
    Current box: Viglen Genie, P3 800MHz, 128MB RAM, 20GB HDD. Dual booting Win2000 and Dapper

Check out my blog at http://heretogo.wordpress.com

Beans

My first apt-get! Running now. Thanks.

Peter.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thanks man! Just what I needed!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

Mostwanted: definitely a good idea. There's a lot of information around about installing the various packages (.deb, .rpm, tar.gz, etc) but, when I was learning how to do it, the info was here and there... didn't seem to be a "one-stop shop" to go to to learn how to install whatever from wherever.

And now, thanks to you, there is! What you gotta do now is make sure it's prominently and adequately linked to, so newbies can find out about it and use it. I'll put the link in my sig for sure.
    Current box: Viglen Genie, P3 800MHz, 128MB RAM, 20GB HDD. Dual booting Win2000 and Dapper

Check out my blog at http://heretogo.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast