Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pledge drive 2: asking for Linux help!!! (or am I just crazy?)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Pledge drive 2: asking for Linux help!!! (or am I just crazy?)

I don't know about you, but I hate it how I had to research about the best WIFI Chipset and then search for brands that sell WIFI cards that made with the specific chipset, then go to my local computer store to find out it is not there!!! Sometimes a model with a higher number exists, and the salesman persuade you to buy it since it is the same thing but newer, just to find out it uses a completely different chipset!!!

I am getting sick of this.

Linux has gaining desktop share today and simply be treated as 3rd class citizen by some hardware Vendors and most computer stores. (Mac being 2nd, I've seen more Mac-compatible stickers.)

I heard many people asking for Linux compatibility at computer stores and get a weird look and I have been asking too. And then some even go as far as asking for a Windows refund!!!

So here's my crazy idea:
    We shall all have a 'linux day' kind of thing, where we all go to any computer-related stores and ask for linux compatible products. Having 5+ customers asking about linux all day would be far better than some random guy asking at random day then whoever salesman has probably forgotten about it at the end of the day!!!

And I have made a pledge thing: http://www.en-gb.pledgebank.com/linuxday

I know it is crazy, asking for 10'000 people. But keep in mind that this doesn't necessarily cost anything, if 1'000 people are willing to donate $10 why can't 10'000 people donate some time and maybe a bit of thinking/arguing/acting?
    Last edited by Sunnz; January 27th, 2007 at 07:29 PM.
    Registered Linux User #404403 - Ubuntu User #19426

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Pledge drive 2: asking for Linux help!!! (or am I just crazy?)

The people who work in electronics stores don't necessarily know anything about Linux. Sure, it's not an ideal situation, but the most effective way would be to bombard the higher ups at these companies with requests to support Linux. The shop-floor people really aren't responsible for how the company operates, or what it supports, and the most this would achieve would be confusing or irritating them. I don't think they're likely to actually push their managers to think about Linux support.

There is, of course, the situation that these shops don't actually make the hardware, they just sell it. If there's no supply, they can't possibly sell linux-compatible hardware. You need to get the manufacturers to explicitly state Linux support on the packaging and advertisements.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Tomosaur View Post
    The people who work in electronics stores don't necessarily know anything about Linux.
    They don't necessarily know anything about computers.

They may not have even heard of Linux neither. But it could be only better if more people demand the Vendors to provide information if their device works linux or not. It could also means more exposure of number of Linux customers, sometimes I think people has been overly under-estimating it. And when both retail stores and customer are demanding this kind of information, companies are going to start labelling if their product are linux-compatible, and in the end, those who have done so can gain higher profit simply because the average retail store can recommend linux labelled products when asked.

And at retail stores it is not like requesting for Linux support... it is more like shopping for products that you wanted.

On the other hand you don't have to limit yourself to just ask for linux at retail stores... you should ask everything. Write to the big companies; call them; go to the headquarters and ask them; talk to the big bosses, whatever. I mean, one more question can't be too many.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

What I was getting at is that these people don't necessarily even 'care'. It's hard to imagine the request for information going any further than the shop assistants, who are pretty likely to just dismiss your request anyway.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand the pledge.

I will start ask for Linux at my local computer store, AND at August 25th 2007 but only if 10,000 people will do the same.
    You're asking everyone to go to a computer store on Aug. 25, and ask if they have any Linux-compatible products?

Sounds good to me.

Why Aug. 25?
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Tomosaur, that's exactly what happens. That's why I think it is good to have lots of linux people go ask at the same day. People out there are going to actually notice this, and hopefully companies will be more informed about the actual number of Linux home userbase.

K.Mandla, well, I have seen people been encouraged to ask for simple things like "will this printer work on Linux" in linux communities, I've been told by a few to do so, and have done a few of times... however I think it'll be even better if there is a day where we all go and do it and to really get the word out there. Aug 25 is just a random date that and I think it needs time to get this pledge out there anyway so there should be enough time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I'm in, but I've already been doing this for a while. I've also been pestering my ISP's tech support to get them to support Linux officially (however, when you find someone that unofficially supports Linux, their service will be 100 times better than it'd been on Windows... I found three technicians working for two ISPs who had Linux experience, and they were all cool guys)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Hex_Mandos View Post
    I'm in, but I've already been doing this for a while. I've also been pestering my ISP's tech support to get them to support Linux officially (however, when you find someone that unofficially supports Linux, their service will be 100 times better than it'd been on Windows... I found three technicians working for two ISPs who had Linux experience, and they were all cool guys)
    I'm with you on this one I've also had to chew out several of the techs at my ISP because not only did they pull the "we don't support linux" card on me they got down right nasty with my wife so I snatched the phone and chewed out the tech's supervisor then when he brushed it under the rug I found his boss and chewed his butt! Finally someone much closer to the top sincerely apologized and transfered us to one of the techs that actually knew something about linux and to my greater suprise the tech said he just switched to Ubuntu at home.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such government [...]"
    —Declaration of Independence

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I actually gave an Ubuntu CD to a tech once. He knew Linux, but most of his experience was with Redhat based distros. Another one was used to Slackware. I'm really surprised that Ubuntu is an uncommon choice in my country, when compared to other regions (Lifehacker is a great place to see the popularity of Ubuntu if you don't believe Distrowatch).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I guess Red Hat has came out for years and is all professional and had all the certification, so it is not surprising to have Red Hat techs.

On the other hand, I maybe a bit luckier there with ISP. They actually say that they support anything that uses standard PPPoE/PPPoA and no discrimination along platform!!!

They 'support' people who want to run servers and stuff, well they won't go into details as in installing Apache for you but they don't filter ports or anything. The only thing is that they are more expensive than the other already expensive ISP in Australia, but I am not complaining, as I have not experience any internet downtime with them or anything, so I guess my money goes to companies who deserves it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast