View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 11 of 135 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: To those who still have Windows, when can you get rid of it?

Beans

Re: For Ubuntu Lovers, what is PREVENTING you from deleting your Windows Partition?

1. I already payed for Office/Win XP, so I'm not going to delete it. In fact, I'm only allowed to install them so many times until it says, "sorry, you dont really own the software you payed for, we just liscensed it to you to install a couple of times..." .. @&#!

2. iTunes, especially the Music Store. There are plenty of ways to get around the DRM (sure, try to take down DVD Jon, but I can always just burn a CD and import it as mp3!)

3. ProTools LE, needed to use my Mbox, a USB recording device (my search for Linux support for the Mbox has been in vain).

So, in summary, if I had a desktop mac (my wife uses an iBook), windows would be going out the window. OK... dumb joke...
    Last edited by brockjudkins; October 17th, 2005 at 03:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: For Ubuntu Lovers, what is PREVENTING you from deleting your Windows Partition?

I absolutely can not delete my windows partition!

Because I don't have one

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Only games support - I love Football Managers and RPG games
    But the time I have for games is shortening by the month so I'll in the end my XP partition will be erased
    AMD64 3000+, 512MB DDR, 120GB SATA, RADEON 9550 @ Linux
    I'm still expanding my Linux knowledge and I'm enjoying every minute of it =D>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by magomago
    INSANT MESSAGE. I can never send a file right...maybe 10% of the time it works~ the other 90% it never does!
    This is not just a problem in GNU/Linux, it's a problem in Windows too. A friend and I exchange files *very* frequently by IM client, and we have experimented quite a lot. The bottom line is that if you're both using the same client, it will almost always work. Both using Trillian, it works. Both using gaim, it works, etc. But when you mix them up, it rarely works. Trillian/MSN, no go. Miranda/Trillian, nope. etc. It's really quite frustrating, I agree.

Back to the original question: I keep a 30 GB (out of a 300 GB HDD) partition for Wintendo.
    Last edited by Segovia; October 17th, 2005 at 01:04 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I keep Windows for the same reason most of us do...but, I'm somewhat new to Linux, and just can't bring myself to simply get rid of it. Basically, I'm converted already; but, there's just one application I use in Windows that I haven't yet been able to configure Ubuntu to simulate, that being day trading stocks. Oh, I'm sure it could be done, but I'm just too darn new, (lazy?).

I have to add, I'm very pleased with Ubuntu and pleasently surprised how easy it is to customize almost everything. This started as a curiosity/adventure, and became a conversion - I'm a believer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: For Ubuntu Lovers, what is PREVENTING you from deleting your Windows Partition?

Nothing anymore. Just finished HL2 the previous night. I'm going to borrow an external USB hard-disk from a buddy of mine, then I'm going to wipe the NTFS partition and do a nice fresh install of Breezy Badger while listening to the Badger Badger Badger flash.
    Eternally confused.

Beans

Prolly been said (I can't be bothered reading 11pages just yet, maybe tomorrow )

But... webcam on msn really
    I know there is software like amsn that allows webcam on linux, but I consider even the hugly bloated msn messenger for windows to be better than amsn.. the interface and stuff is awful..

Gaim rocks.. but no webcam support (yet..! *cross fingers*)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blueturtl
    Nothing anymore. Just finished HL2 the previous night. I'm going to borrow an external USB hard-disk from a buddy of mine, then I'm going to wipe the NTFS partition and do a nice fresh install of Breezy Badger while listening to the Badger Badger Badger flash.
    How on earth did you get Steam to work in Linux? I've been following that linux-gamers tutorial, but it doesn't work right.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Curlydave
    How on earth did you get Steam to work in Linux? I've been following that linux-gamers tutorial, but it doesn't work right.
    I don't think he did. I read it as he just finished the game (on Windows) and now has now reason to keep Windows around.

As for me, it's just a few games, VB6 (for school), and Studio MX. None of the programs I've tried on Linux get close to the Macromedia ones. As it is, I can barely cope with Photoshop when I have to use it at school anymore. I'm so used to Fireworks...GIMP is way too much for me right now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs up Re: For Ubuntu Lovers, what is PREVENTING you from deleting your Windows Partition?

I don't think he did. I read it as he just finished the game (on Windows) and now has now reason to keep Windows around.
    I did in fact get Steam to work in Linux also, but the performance of the game under Cedega was not acceptable (and the quality of graphics was reduced) so I decided I would finish the game under Windows, then do a nice fresh install of Breezy.

Uhh.. as to how I got it to work... well. It just did. Cedega magic I guess. I'm not sure if it's as foolproof under vanilla WINE.
    Eternally confused.

Page 11 of 135 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast