Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Irritates Me / .deb is NOT easier than .rpm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Linux Irritates Me / .deb is NOT easier than .rpm

I can't believe I believed the hype. I went through the hell of switching from Mandrake to Ubuntu just because people told me debian based distros were easier for installing programs. They are NOT! It seems like I have to use the 1980s terminal technique more than ever! At least with .rpm files I could just click them and they would go. I'm so pissed off and tired right now. I'm really getting sick of this. I can't use Windows because it draws in viruses and spyware. I can't use Linux because it makes simple tasks insanely difficult. And I can't use Mac because I don't have the money. Uggg... Oh, and gnome is terrible. If you have to use the terminal for everything, it could at least make files easier to access like KDE does and load up from any directory. I hear everyone talking about 'simplicity'. Simplicity is only good for IT professionals and advanced users! The GUI was invented for a reason. Until the Linux community finds a way to bring users more automation (one click install, icons that make themselves, etc), it will never become as popular as Windows - hence, it will not get the kind of software support it wants.
    Last edited by cinematography; May 24th, 2005 at 06:23 AM.

Beans

Re: Linux Irritates Me / .deb is NOT easier than .rpm

Try synaptic for installing applications.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tread
    Try synaptic for installing applications.
    Not everything I need is in synaptic. For example, Java. It's just as hard to install in Ubuntu as it was for me in Mandrake.

Beans

I'd personally say I think the oppsite.

I remember using Suse...

I tried to install something. I had to hunt down all the RPM's it wanted, then had to install them all in a certain order. File A wanted File C, File C wanted File B and File B wanted file A. That kinda thing, I got stuck a lot.

Then I tried Ubuntu back in February. Much easier. I don't have a problem using one simple short command in a terminal to install stuff.

By the way, what exactly is it you are trying to install that is so difficult for you?

(I am aware installation of some things can have more difficulty than just a command, but overall, the installation of basic software is much easier if you ask me over what I used to use)

Beans

Try visiting the Unofficial Ubuntu Guide. You can pretty much just paste the commands from the webpage onto the terminal .. also add the additional repositories suggested there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TestDummy!
    I tried to install something. I had to hunt down all the RPM's it wanted, then had to install them all in a certain order. File A wanted File C, File C wanted File B and File B wanted file A. That kinda thing, I got stuck a lot.
    Huh? I never had this problem with Mandrake. I would click a file, the package manager would get everything else that file needed automatically, and I was done and ready to go. Ubuntu also has a nice package manager, but .deb files suck. When I click them they don't automatically go. I have to type in programmers code. I gave up programming a long time ago. I didn't want to go back to it.

By the way, what exactly is it you are trying to install that is so difficult for you?
    Java, mp3 support (I went to that one help site with the code and my mp3s still don't work), and I can't even find a CD burner program. I hear you can burn CDs with Nautilus, but... ugg... Simple GUIs usually require more research than complicated once. The more simple it is, the less self-explanitory it is also.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tread
    Try visiting the Unofficial Ubuntu Guide. You can pretty much just paste the commands from the webpage onto the terminal .. also add the additional repositories suggested there.
    Thank you for the guide. I've seen it before but I'll give it another look. However, I'm still pissed at the fact I just can't click icons to install programs anymore. .rpm files are an excellent step in the right direction.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

im totally agree
    i've used to only redhat based .rpm and im sill feeling easier than debian based .deb
    but linux users except beginner says .deb is better than .rpm

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cinematography
    mp3 support....
    Hm, I don't remember having to do anything to get mp3's to work (Even though I have quite a bit more Ogg files than MP3) . Either it worked out of the box for me (First guess) or when I installed beep media player

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pdk001
    im totally agree
    i've used to only redhat based .rpm and im sill feeling easier than debian based .deb
    but linux users except beginner says .deb is better than .rpm
    After all the hype I heard about Debian based distros, I was expecting some real magic to happen with Ubuntu, the #1 Debian based distro. Ugg... Not only do I have to use more command line stuff, but the gnome gui isn't even set up in a way to make it easy for you to access the terminal from any directory window. I hear Fedora 3 is full of bugs, Mandrake had problems with my hardware... I'm running out of options.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast