Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How about a Ubuntu Cafe Magazine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

How about a Ubuntu Cafe Magazine?

Have a community magazine might be a cool thing to gather good howto articles and people thought. Have some spaces for advertisements to sell and return to the community foundation. By the way, the magazine should be free to everyone and form as e-magazine like. People can just download it and have fun to read.
    I don't know we already have that kind of magazine or not. However, this community is huge, it's cool to have more "central" , "graphical" and ....you know what I mean.

A stupid idea from me.....

Beans

Re: How about a Ubuntu Cafe Magazine?

Not an entirely bad idea, though you are right in that it has been done...sorta..

Check out the project page here, or the wiki page here, though I am not sure how active the project is these days.
    ~~ Ubuntu Forums Firefox/Flock Menu ~~ Ubuntu User Number 206 ~~ Linux user number 403379 ~~

~~ If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything don't do it. ~~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jenhsun View Post
    Have a community magazine might be a cool thing to gather good howto articles and people thought. Have some spaces for advertisements to sell and return to the community foundation. By the way, the magazine should be free to everyone and form as e-magazine like. People can just download it and have fun to read.
    I don't know we already have that kind of magazine or not. However, this community is huge, it's cool to have more "central" , "graphical" and ....you know what I mean.

A stupid idea from me.....
    Cool idea, I'm all for it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

sounds very good.
    i was really excited about the ubuntu magazine, but it never happened.
    and the tuxmagazine stopped as well.
    Linux Format is the only decent linux magazine in the newsagents and its $20AU a pop.
    But theres no point talking about it unless someone plans to do something about it.
    I have no magazine editing skills but will contribute if I can find as use (such as digging up useful howtos etc).
    I hope this gets off the ground.
    Bombs to set the people free, blood to feed the dollar tree
    Flags for coffins on the screen, oil for the machine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The question is: who will bell the cat? Who's willing to front the dollards/pounds/rand/zloty/quatloos to print this and ship it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The idea is e-magazine or e-newspaper. We don't need to ship or print.
    Just let people download it for free.
    The $$ comes from page advertisement.
    Articles come from contributors and this community.
    all you can image.....

I know we have a huge community. It's a social network liked myspace and so on. That would be cool to have that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by jenhsun View Post
    The idea is e-magazine or e-newspaper. We don't need to ship or print.
    Just let people download it for free.
    The $$ comes from page advertisement.
    Articles come from contributors and this community.
    all you can image.....

I know we have a huge community. It's a social network liked myspace and so on. That would be cool to have that.
    Let it be so. Wake me if and when it gets off the ground.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well does anyone have a website that they can host this on (or attatch it to a post and sticky it?)
    For artwork if someone posts in the art & design section of this forum I'm sure there will be ppl willing to help.
    @jenhsun are u going to be the editor? do u have any ideas on what to include etc? do u know anyone who will pay for advertising? I dont believe we need it, just get a few of the forums frequent posters to write an article or two a week on a given topic.
    Look to tuxmagazine or linux format for ideas on how to set the magazine up.
    I dont think it would be that hard if u can rack up a good team.
    Bombs to set the people free, blood to feed the dollar tree
    Flags for coffins on the screen, oil for the machine

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by guitarmaniac View Post
    Well does anyone have a website that they can host this on (or attatch it to a post and sticky it?)
    For artwork if someone posts in the art & design section of this forum I'm sure there will be ppl willing to help.
    @jenhsun are u going to be the editor? do u have any ideas on what to include etc? do u know anyone who will pay for advertising? I dont believe we need it, just get a few of the forums frequent posters to write an article or two a week on a given topic.
    Look to tuxmagazine or linux format for ideas on how to set the magazine up.
    I dont think it would be that hard if u can rack up a good team.
    Well, that's the hardest part. Good teams are....rare.

Also, it would still be pretty hard. You need web designers, people who know something about marketing, etc. If you want to become a credible source, it takes a hell of a lot of work.

After you get everything planned and are ready to roll, you can probably get hosting from www.cutlersoftware.com . It's a hosting service maintained by a user from this forum (phatfiddler) and he offers free, fast, large hosting for Linux projects. You really should only approach that after the planning stages are thoroughly completed, and you have a team, things like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

About the e-magazine stuff, here are some examples:

http://www.insecuremag.com/

http://www.o3magazine.org/

Then ...well, you can think now.

By the way, please don't mix too many idea into a simple thought. Let's step by step might be better.
    Last edited by jenhsun; March 16th, 2007 at 03:30 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast