Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: is my hand numb from using a mouse?

Beans

Re: is my hand numb from using a mouse?

Thread title changed as per request in Resolution Centre http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=385810
    This account is not active.

Beans

One word: Trackball.

I'm telling you, after you get used to it conventional mice seem... Annoying. And evil.

Beans
    Hidden!

i'm finding a lot of cool keyboard shortcuts in both openbox and opera. now, i understand why that warning pops up when using opera in kde. definitely less confusing using opera's shortcuts in openbox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by SZF2001 View Post
    One word: Trackball.

I'm telling you, after you get used to it conventional mice seem... Annoying. And evil.
    I'm with you. I loathe mice. They make my wrist ache after only an hour or so. Mice just seem so... 1985.

While I've used several Logitech trackballs over the years, Microsoft's Trackball Explorer ($65) is the best controller I've ever used. Fingertip rather than thumb trackball for more precise control, a thumb scrollwheel+button, and 4 other programmable buttons. Unfortunately, I doubt it works with Linux very well although it does work.
    "[Linux] is the only operating system which allows one to engage in OS wars with people who use the same operating system" - Uncyclopedia

Beans

which is better: kensington or logitech for trackball performance?
    Workers of the world unite! Do not go unheard!! soviet-empire.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheRingmaster View Post
    which is better: kensington or logitech for trackball performance?
    Well, here's my experience:

I have been using a Logitech Marble Mouse (confusing name; it's actually a trackball) for a few months now and I love it. I use keyboard shortcuts for most things, but this device works very well when I reach for it.

I also tried their TrackMan Wheel, but I returned it. It felt awkward and it hurt to use it after a short period of time. The device itself is too high (an uncomfortable curve) and the ball is operated by the thumb, which didn't suit me. The whole device is too small for me as well since I have fairly large hands.

I have also tried a Kensington TurboRing which was mostly a good design, but it seemed to be cheaply made and parts of it broke when I simply tried to remove the ball for cleaning. Not good. I would avoid that one if I were you. I don't think they make that model anymore, but you might still find them on store shelves here & there. The TurboRing is not optical either (both Logitech ones above are).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
    Well, here's my experience:

I have been using a Logitech Marble Mouse (confusing name; it's actually a trackball) for a few months now and I love it. I use keyboard shortcuts for most things, but this device works very well when I reach for it.

I also tried their TrackMan Wheel, but I returned it. It felt awkward and it hurt to use it after a short period of time. The device itself is too high (an uncomfortable curve) and the ball is operated by the thumb, which didn't suit me. The whole device is too small for me as well since I have fairly large hands.

I have also tried a Kensington TurboRing which was mostly a good design, but it seemed to be cheaply made and parts of it broke when I simply tried to remove the ball for cleaning. Not good. I would avoid that one if I were you. I don't think they make that model anymore, but you might still find them on store shelves here & there. The TurboRing is not optical either (both Logitech ones above are).
    I just bought myself a Logitech Marble Mouse from staples for about 21 buck with tax, no shipping though from staples. This is the only pointing device I will ever use from now on.

(How does this trackball compare with macs mighty mouse--> Just a thought)

Beans

I just bought myself a Logitech Marble Mouse from staples for about 21 buck with tax, no shipping though from staples. This is the only pointing device I will ever use from now on.

I found a pic of the turbo ring and I think that it is butt ugly. haha

20302203.JPG (JPEG Image, 177x150 pixels)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I still have my Logitech Marble Mouse and it's a great controller. I'm afraid it's been superceded on my system by the Microsoft Trackball Explorer, which is considerably better IMO. The only thing the Marble Mouse has over the Trackball Explorer is that it's truly ambidextrous whereas the Trackball Explorer is designed for right-handed people.
    "[Linux] is the only operating system which allows one to engage in OS wars with people who use the same operating system" - Uncyclopedia

Beans

Yeah, but it is a Microsoft product. Or at least it is licensed by them. plus it seems awkward and stressful. But you use whatever you want
    Last edited by TheRingmaster; March 20th, 2007 at 03:24 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast